You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat One Annoying Virus...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Life and times of...

Default One Annoying Virus...

I've got this annoying virus that keeps making copies into a folder all the time, and then my Virus protector keeps sending notifications of the actions it takes and it's just driving me crazy, since it pops out all the time and it's realy distracting. So anybody have any idea how to erase a W32.Gaobot.ZY-virus? I googled and found info on it, but since I'm not a real computer expert, I've got no idea what to do to remove the original source of the copies, wich I haven't even found...? I hope I made any sense (I am quite tired now you know) ... I can clarify, just ask...
Old 07-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #2

That sucks! Well anyway, you don't google a virus, you search symantec's database or equivalent (then again, google wil probably turn that up as well). Have you tried following the removal steps? (they may be a bit vague, if you have any questions..)

edit: btw shouldn't this post be moved to another forum?

Last edited by jjacob; 07-04-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Is it possible that the virus is just reinfecting you through one of the many, many entry routes listed on the Symantec description? You can remove it from your computer all you like, but unless you've fixed whatever vulnerability it snuck in through, it'll just keep coming back. Have you been over to Windows Update and installed all the critical patches? If not, do that, then run a full virus scan of your computer and remove all traces of it. Hopefully it won't keep coming back! Good luck!
Old 07-05-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Life and times of...

Yeah, well actually it might be coming from somewhere else (well now I'm quite certain it is), but I have no idea where... A virus check came up with nothing (so that would suggest it's coming from somewhere else)... And actually the google came up with the symantec site, and frankly, in most cases, I haven't got the clue what it says
Old 07-05-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
pain is love

Have you tried with Ad-aware? Or bazooka? If you dont know those are freeware. Although they are for removing spyware you can definitely try! I removed some trojans with bazooka. Download and update.
And yu can also try with AVG or Avast antivirus progs. They both have a freeware version to download

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Life and times of...

I do have Ad-Aware, and it didn't come up with anything. The problem seems to have disappeared now though...
Old 07-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
The problem seems to have disappeared now though...
That means it's burrowed into the computer's core and has become dormant in preparation for laying its eggs, which will then hatch. The hatchlings will slowly eat their way through your computer from the inside out, finally bursting through your computer screen and devouring your face.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 AM   #8
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
The problem seems to have disappeared now though...
And that, my friend, ain't good! Try downloading another a-v prog and update it. And you could make a backup disc also, if you have something important on yor HDD. To be on the safe side...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja