You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Movies as adult fairy tales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Movies as adult fairy tales

I love movies that present a sort of self-contained fantastical world, such as Brazil, The Nightmare Before Christmas and City of the Lost Children. That kind of gritty, moody and grungy atmosphere, with lots of attention to the mise-en-scene (I love all the gears, pipes and machine stuff.)

Are there any movies in this category I might have missed? Got any tips?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Joop Sloop

dark city
5th element

two movies that came up in my head when you mentioned those titles...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 AM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well, since you mention Brazil, you may as well know that Gilliam's next movie is somewhat more of a literal fairy tale film. He's currently directing The Brothers Grimm, starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger (...) as the brothers. They play two travelling con artists who end up in real situations similar to their famous stories.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of that sort of movie as well Consequently, Gilliam is among my very favorite directors.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-03-2003, 12:52 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker
5th element
Arrrrg, I have such a loathing for this film.

(sorry for the double post, but it's easier to quote in new posts)

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-03-2003, 12:55 AM   #5
Joop Sloop

and why is that?

it's got an awesome setting and it's got a nice cyberpunk feeling to it

ok the story might be a bunch of nothing strung together with fancy shots, but I still like it

Last edited by ysbreker; 10-03-2003 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:57 AM   #6

I just felt it was one of the messiest, cheesiest movies I've seen. It was impossible for me to take it seriously, even in a "fun" way. And Chris Tucker (IIRC) annoyed the crap out of me!

Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
He's currently directing The Brothers Grimm
Yeah I heard about that. He's writing the screenplay himself on this one again. Too bad that Bad Omens and that other project got stranded. It's like Terry Gilliam is always fighting an uphill battle.

I've only seen Fear & Loathing, Brazil and 12 Monkeys. Gotta check out the other stuff sometime.

Even though the 5th Element has a bit of that 'French' thing going on, I don't think it's sufficiently fantastical or surreal to really fit with the other movies I've mentioned. I haven't seen Dark City, but I will check it out.

By the way, I just saw that Tim Burton is working on a movie adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, to be released in 2005. Yay!
Old 10-03-2003, 01:10 AM   #8
Cognitive Dissonant

Blade Runner
Dune (though I was a kid when I saw it)
Edward Scissorhands (okay, so just the inventors factory part - there's gears there.)
Old 10-03-2003, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Yeah I heard about that. He's writing the screenplay himself on this one again. Too bad that Bad Omens and that other project got stranded. It's like Terry Gilliam is always fighting an uphill battle.

I've only seen Fear & Loathing, Brazil and 12 Monkeys. Gotta check out the other stuff sometime.
I've got to say, when I first found out Gilliam was doing Good Omens (not Bad ), I literally yelled out loud in shock. I couldn't possibly have picked a better director for one of my favorite books. When I later found out about all the Bad Omens (har har) that had beset the project, I almost cried. I'm still distraught that it seems totally out of the picture now.

Then, when I found out he was doing his own version of Don Quixote (The Man Who Killed Don Quixote), I was again at a loss for words of how awesome the match was. When I then again found out that the project was doomed, I was again depressed. Then I bought [i]Lost in La Mancha[i] on DVD, and I realized that Gilliam IS Don Quixote. For those who don't know of it, Lost in La Mancha was meant to be a documentary about the filming of Gilliam's Quixote film. It ended up being a documentary about the failing of Gilliam's Quixote film. It's fascinating, if anything for the same reason people slow down to check out car crashes. Just about every horrible thing you could imagine happening to a movie in production happens during filming. All of these things are things over which Gilliam had absolutely NO control. It's as if God himself wanted to stop Gilliam's movie at all cost. Gilliam is known in Hollywood as a "reckless" director, and that's one of the reasons it's so hard for him to find funding, but those who know him (and have seen this movie) know how perserverent he is in all but the absolute most hopeless situations, and that all of those hopeless situations seem to just arise around him, rather than because of him.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to The Brothers Grimm--it's a Gilliam movie, and I can't possibly not look forward to one of those.

As far as his past films, Marek, you've seen the two greats (IMO), which are Brazil and 12 Monkey. The latter is excellent, and the former ranks high among my favorite films of all time. Fear and Loathing wasn't really fantastic, but it's at least somewhat forgiveable since Gilliam was only brought in as a director at the last minute, so it wasn't really "his" project from the beginning. The Fisher King was quite good, and is somewhat more conventional (for a Gilliam film, anyway). The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits are essentially kids movies, so to speak, but they're fun and they have that trademark Gilliam weirdness. Neither is a Great Gilliam Film, but they both have their share of classic moments. I admit I've yet to see Jabberwocky. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which Gilliam co-directed with Terry Jones, has of course been seen by every sentient being on the face of the planet.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:37 AM   #10
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
I admit I've yet to see Jabberwocky. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which Gilliam co-directed with Terry Jones, has of course been seen by every sentient being on the face of the planet.
I just saw Holy Grail for the first time last week. A guy I work with can deliver every line of the movie (with less than comedic timing) - so I had to see what the fuss was about. It was more funny than he was.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K
It was more funny than he was.
Dear God, I hope so.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:13 AM   #12
Under pressure.

I really love the gritty atmosphere in the first Batman movie.

--Erwin
Old 10-03-2003, 02:26 AM   #13

I really liked Burton's Batman setting as well, but I'm still holding out for a really good all-around Batman movie. I was really psyched for Darren Aronofsky's (Pi, Requiem for a Dream) version, but when I saw him speak several months ago he said that's no longer in the works. He is doing his own version of Lone Wolf and Cub, however, which should be really cool.

The next Batman movie on the horizon is Christopher Nolan's (Insomnia, Momento), so hopefully he'll make it suitably dark and gritty. I'm not really thrilled about Christian Bale in the lead role, however...

Old 10-03-2003, 02:37 AM   #14
soffistical

Dark City.

And not particularily gritty, but a glorious fairytale; Princess Bride.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:39 AM   #15

Princess Bride is great And from the same director, This is Spinal Tap is hardly a fairy tale of any kind, but it's quite brilliantly hilarious and is required viewing for anyone who loves rock and roll.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:10 AM   #16
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Any Scy-fi or fantasy movie, in fact. And I am surprised noone mentioned matrix.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:10 AM   #17
merely human

Marek, try Metropolis, the original silent version by Fritz Lang.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-03-2003, 05:12 AM   #18
A Servicable Villain

Ooh, I saw a clip of Metropolis during my art-history-classes on school. I looked promising.

But Marek, you might very well just watch all good Tim Burton-movies.

I too am psyched about the next Batman, although I have little hopes it will reach the greatness of the first two. One will have a hard time surpassing the genius of Tim Burton. And of course there's plenty of apocalyptic goodness in Anime. Akira for instance, or try Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 AM   #19
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Darren Aronofsky's (Pi, Requiem for a Dream) version, but when I saw him speak several months ago he said that's no longer in the works.
I'd really been looking forward to that..

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-03-2003, 05:54 AM   #20
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbreker
dark city
That is an extremely good advice. Marek, see it if you haven't done so already.