You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat M Night Shyamalan's The Village

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 01:29 PM   #1

Default M Night Shyamalan's The Village

http://thevillage.movies.go.com/

The new trailer for M Night Shyamalan's The Village is online.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I hear the twist for this one is really, really stupid.

I don't know what it is, but from the hints I've read I think it actually sounds kinda cool.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #3

I don't want to know any spoilers for this movie. People have rambled about Shyamalan's twists since Unbreakable.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:33 AM   #4

Nice trailer, much better than the last. I'm looking forward to this one, although I think he has locked himself in an evil circle where he feels he needs to have a huge plot twist at the end of each movie. A plot twist is better when you don't know it is coming.
The plot twist for this movie does sound like fun, though. I think people take these movies way too serious.

Last edited by nordic_guy; 05-01-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Headbanger

Wow! I have really been looking forward to this movie since the first trailer and after seeing the second one I'm even more excited.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
although I think he has locked himself in an evil circle where he feels he needs to have a huge plot twist at the end of each movie. A plot twist is better when you don't know it is coming.
I agree. It's sort of frustrating. I'm starting to think he's a one-trick pony. He's a skilled director; I have no question of that. But I hate that all of his movies so far seem to have to go for the exact same tone, and they always have to have a TWIST(!!). I'd really like to see him do something else, branch out.

As far as the screenplays go, I also think he shouldn't be writing his own scripts. He's a decent writer, but his writing has nothing on his direction and I suspect he insists on writing his own movies mainly because he wants to have his name all over everything. His name is big enough that he could surely secure a big-name well-respected writer for his stuff, and I think his work would benefit as a whole.

Anyway, it's probably time for crazy Shyamalan fans to blow me out of the water.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 05-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
merely human

Seen one Shyamalan flick, seen 'em all?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Anyway, it's probably time for crazy Shyamalan fans to blow me out of the water.
/me shoots remixor in the head. Drags his corpse into the forest for the creatures in The Village to get him.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #9

Before the creatures get you (and before you die from the bullet wound in the head), you might be interested to know that it's been speculated that Shyamalan's next movie will be based on some book.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/454/454014p1.html
Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Before the creatures get you (and before you die from the bullet wound in the head), you might be interested to know that it's been speculated that Shyamalan's next movie will be based on some book.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/454/454014p1.html
As long as the book doesn't have a CRAZY TWIST!!!, that could be good news.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 05-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #11

I don't have a problem with the twists, but the book on the other hand sounds like it has the potential to be screwed up.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #12
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Man Joaquin Phoenix and M Night Shyamalan work really well together. I'd love to see Mel Gibson in another of Shyamalan's films though too.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #13

Yeah, same here. It's cool how Shyamalan reuses actors, but I wouldn't want to see too many Bruce Willis starring M Night Shyamalan movies. The Village cast looks like it'll be pretty awesome.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 AM   #14

He was great in Sixth Sense though.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 AM   #15

That's true; Unbreakable as well. I think two movies are enough though.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
Dungeon Master

I've read the Life of Pi, if someone's interested, and while I found it being a tad overrated (it won the Booker Prize and took bookstores - at least Polish ones - by storm), I'd be very eager to see what Shyamalan would make of it. Surely it'll be very different from his work so far: the story has only one (albeit fabulous) sequence that is straightforwardly horror-ish. On the whole it's an extremely simple (to such extent it's natural to interpreted it as an allegory) story of Human vs. Nature (Life? Evil?) - think The old man and the sea meets New Age. The main part is set in a confined space and has a single human character (so a great opportunity to show one's directorial skills). It does not feature a CRAZY TWIST!!!, but the ending is ambiguous in a way that I for one liked.

PS Of course, I also can't wait to see The Village.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #17

I thought Life of Pi was a childrens book based on the description given by filmforce.ign.com
Old 05-14-2004, 03:29 AM   #18
pain is love

I've hated that guy, from the get-go. Remember watching the 6th sense. Everyone talked about how great it is and all... When I finally got to watch it, at the half of the movie I was like:
Spoiler:
It couldn't be, could he really be dead? And, he really was.
Surprise, surprise! And all the way I was bored to death. It's one of those movies where the story goes so god damn slow, and finishes with an awesome, unpredictable ending. This one was ridicolusly predictable, at least for me. But, the Unbreakable's ending, on the hand, was completely stupid. And I got the punchline of the movie the first time
Spoiler:
I saw Samuel Jackson (it was so obvious he's a villain) . Good-guy, bad-guy comic thingy.

And then I rented Signs, more so I could continue to diss Shalayman than I really had the wish to watch it. Turns out it was quite a good movie, not nearly as pretencious as the ones before. And that surely helped the movie a lot. It was like he stood hard on the ground for the first time in his short career.

So I guess I'm lookin' forward to his new movie, but now I actually have a desire to see it.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja

Last edited by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja; 05-15-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #19

You may want to spoiler tag that post of yours. Not everybody has seen those films and not everyone finds them predictable.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:14 AM   #20
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
You may want to spoiler tag that post of yours. Not everybody has seen those films and not everyone finds them predictable.
Sorry, kinda did that spoiler thing. My fault inDeeDee. And I know I've posted my subjective opinion as I stated before that all of my friends liked the movie.
BTW I'm a complete DUMBASS, how do you make that spoiler thingys?

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja