You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Star Trek Bajjilliology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Liver of Life

Default Star Trek Bajjilliology

Which one's your favorite of all the episodes in the first, second, third, up to the sixteenth generation and the movies?

Mine's the one in which the guy goes: "Beam me up, Scotty."

Old 05-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
merely human

The one where Patrick Stewart has a nude scene. You know.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
Disciplined Breakdown

First Contact...

Uh oh, have I exposed myself as a nerd?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

I'm a nerd myself, and proud to be one. It's hard to pick a favorite. That one with time travel...looking for a whale? I liked that one. Funny...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
The one where Patrick Stewart has a nude scene. You know.
That would be "Chain of Command", in season 6, right? 8-)

I guess my favorite would be TNG's "Inner Light", but I prefer VOY as a series though.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #6
pain is love

I can't really remember thwem, but the one that comes to mind is when DS9 guys return to past to stop the assasination of Kirk (where Dax wears that skimpy TOS girls outfit! ). That one was hillarious. And of course the Locutus of Borg one. As for the movies, Khan is waaaay up there!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-14-2004, 03:05 AM   #7
Typo Queen

Hmm... I love TNG & Voyager, and the movies from Generations on up. I loved seeing Troi get drunk in First Contact. And Data's emotion chip. I can't really think of my favorite episodes, except the one in TNG where they have this device from Riza that is supposed to be a game. It goes on their eyes and you are supposed to put these discs in spinning tornadoes, and the game gets really addictive or something. I guess in Voyager I like the one where something happens to Tuvok and he's really vulnerable, and he hides behind Neelix all the time.

Have any of you ever been to a Star Trek Convention? I've been to 2...the first one, Michael Dorn (Warf) was supposed to be at but he was late and my mom wouldn't let us stay (I was only about 14 at the time), and the 2nd one was Jonathan Frakes (Riker). He was very funny. Someone asked him what his favorite prop on the set was, and he said "what, you mean besides Marina?" (Sirtis, in other words Troi.) LOL! I didn't get his autograph...the line was way too long and again, my mom wouldn't let us wait...it was a year or so after the first one. The other thing really awesome about it was they did a music video of scenes of the doctors of all 4 series, and set it to Elton John's song, "Healing Hands." It was really cool.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

The best Star Trek episode will always be "The Best of Both Worlds."

mag
Old 05-14-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Disciplined Breakdown

Quote:
Amen to that.

Quote:
That one with time travel...looking for a whale? I liked that one. Funny...
That's IV, I think it's called the Voyage Home or something like that.

Anybody like DS9, that and TNG are my favorite ones, but DS9 didn't really pick up till like the third season.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 AM   #10

Best of both worlds? I dunno, the episode isn't that spectacular if you ask me. No interesting plot or character dilemma/development, and the borg are silly.

When it comes to borg episodes, Voyager's "Scorpion" is way better.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #11
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
Best of both worlds? I dunno, the episode isn't that spectacular if you ask me. No interesting plot or character dilemma/development, and the borg are silly.

When it comes to borg episodes, Voyager's "Scorpion" is way better.
The Borg were cool until Voyager ruined them. They were cool in TNG because they were the unbeatable foe. And they were only in about four episodes in the entire seven years. That lack of exposure made them all the more intimidating when they did show up. With something like this, less is more. But then Voyager started having them show up in every episode. They were blowing up a Borg cube every week, so the Borg became just like any other alien on the show.

The invincibility of the Borg is what made Best of Both Worlds cool. BoBW was pretty much all character dilemma. It's like a stress test--seeing how people react under impossible circumstances. The only reason the episode didn't have more of a lasting impact on the characters is because of the way Star Trek is written. There is almost no character development at all in the entire series, even DS9 which is much more arc driven than the other series. If TNG did have more of a story arc, the events in BoBW would almost certainly have been a huge turning point--you have Riker taking command for the first time, being forced to fight his captain, his conflict with Shelby, Picard being assimilated by the Borg (something which actually did come back in later episodes). But even as a single episode, there was plenty going on.

This season of Enterprise has had some really good episodes too. There are still a few points where they could improve, but overall it's turning out very well. It's kind of a shame nobody seems to be interested in Star Trek any more because if it keeps on the way it's going Enterprise could turn out to be even better than TNG and DS9. "The Shipment," "Similitude," "Stratagem," "Azati Prime," and "Damage" are all solid episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap up the season.

mag
Old 05-14-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
Citizen of Bizarro World

I agree, I'm enjoying Enterprise season 3.

BTW, Out of all the series, DS9 is my favorite.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #13

Borg in TNG didn't make sense. Sure, they were scarce, but why? If they really wanted to assimilate the Federation, why didn't they just send in another cube? (Or two, three, four?)

On a side note; The Borg-sillyness reaches its high-point in "First Contact"... Why would they ever want to travel back in time? They were pretty much unbeatable anyway.

I loved the episode following BoBW, "Family", in which Picard visits his family. Now there's an episode with interesting character development.

Anyway, back to Voyager. I've only seen the first five seasons of VOY (and every TNG and DS9 episode, by the way 8-) ) but they really don't meet the Borg that often. Besides, when Voyager blows up a cube, it does make sense. After all, Voyager uses Borg-upgraded shielding and weaponry.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:31 AM   #14
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag

mag
YEAAAAH maaaan, that's the one!

BTW I have the opportunity to watch DS9 now, the croatian tv is showing it for the first time, and I must say I'm quite enjoing, myself. As far as the best series, I pick TOS, because they had the most charm. Even though they possibly had the worst actors. I, myself, would exclude Voyager and Enterprise, in my opinion the worst of them all is that freakin' capt. in Enterprise!" He's the main reason I stopped watching the series. Fullstop.
Attached Images

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja

Last edited by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja; 05-15-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:56 AM   #15
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Wanna hear something REALLY shocking?

I have NEVER ever seen a single episode of Star Trek in my life! :eek:
(Seriously!)

(Flees in terror!)