You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Quick! Does anyone know this artefact?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Quick! Does anyone know this artefact?

If anyone can help me, please, I really need an answer as soon as possible, preferably today, as I can't find the reference in my books right now and I'd like to include this in my paper that I'm returning tomorrow at some point (so if at least then?).

I want to include a reference to this artefact (it's a mask, I think, or some kind of head-gear if I can remember correctly (but I could be utterly wrong)). The thing that makes it special is that while it was previously being held at a European museum (perhaps Germany, or maybe British Museum or something like that), they worked out with the country origin that they keep switching between the original and a replica, so that each holds on to the original for a year or something, then switches it for the replica the other one has.

I think it's Egyptian, but it could be some other African country too.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
If anyone can help me, please, I really need an answer as soon as possible, preferably today, as I can't find the reference in my books right now and I'd like to include this in my paper that I'm returning tomorrow at some point (so if at least then?).

I want to include a reference to this artefact (it's a mask, I think, or some kind of head-gear if I can remember correctly (but I could be utterly wrong)). The thing that makes it special is that while it was previously being held at a European museum (perhaps Germany, or maybe British Museum or something like that), they worked out with the country origin that they keep switching between the original and a replica, so that each holds on to the original for a year or something, then switches it for the replica the other one has.

I think it's Egyptian, but it could be some other African country too.
Well, here's some guesses:

Bust of Nefertiti: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefertiti_Bust (Not a mask, but pretty well known)

Mask of Agamemnon (Not from Egypt, but also pretty well known)

I'd also suggest the Death Mask of Tutankhamun, though it was neither found by a German nor will ever leave Egypt again (I think it might have once, but they won't give it away any longer. It's too famous. It would be like the Louvre loaning out the Mona Lisa).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Life and times of...

Thanks, but I believe none of them are being switched between museums? That's really the decisive part here.

Also, as I said, all the guesses about the countries, and even about what it is, might be wrong. It's really the switching back-and-forth (with the original and replica) that's the only thing I'm sure of.

All help appreciated still
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
BSC, SSC

This sounds perfectly familiar, but I can't remember the specifics either.

It isn't the one you're looking for, but there's a deal in place since the 90's between Scotland and England where the Stone of Destiny is held in Scotland but is moved to the Westminster Abbey for coronations. This has never happened so far.

It's a vaguely similar principle, at least. No replicas, except in conspiracy theories relating to its theft to Scotland. Don't know if it's any use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone

Last edited by haptsonir; 12-17-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
overall swell guy

This might be coming too late but the replica part part of your original post has me thinking that you're referring to the Rosetta Stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta...ation_to_Egypt

The entry doesn't make clear if the British and the Egyptians really came to an agreement in respect to the switching back and forth.

The thing is that there are literally thousands of artifacts being returned to Egypt lately to be displayed in the Grand Egyptian Museum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Egyptian_Museum when it opens and there are probably several that are tied with a deal to exchange them on a regular basis.

Some of those include 19 artifacts from Tunanchamun's tomb from the Met NY (those go on display once more in the US before being shipped to Egypt), a red granite naos of the 12th Dynasty king Amenemhat http://www.drhawass.com/blog/press-r...eturn-artifact
and they're possibly still discussing the Nefertiti.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dan.

Last edited by ADan; 12-17-2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: corrected linkage
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
The entry doesn't make clear if the British and the Egyptians really came to an agreement in respect to the switching back and forth.
As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any movement of the Stone away from the British Museum since they acquired it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any movement of the Stone away from the British Museum since they acquired it.

Same with the Bust of Nefertiti. Both are centerpieces of the exhibits. I remember going to the British Museum in London, and when I walked into the part for the Egyptian exhibits, the first thing I saw was the Rosetta Stone.

The same goes for Nefertiti. She has her own room even. And everytime the exhibition moved, they said "The Queen/Nefertiti has moved again" (she was moved around a lot. Since 2009 she is finally back in her original museum which she was removed from during the second World War. Also, the dispute over the sharing of the findings (there was an agreement with the Egyptian state back then, that the findings be shared) has already been resolved, as far as I know. Nefertiti's Bust is probably the most famous Egyptian artifact in Germany - there even used to be a postal stamp here in Germany showing it. There are other, even more advanced pieces of portraiture in the collection, which archaeologically could be considered worth even more. But no one is asking for those it seems. Nefertiti's bust was a study or practice piece by an artist, it is agreed. One indication of that is the fact that there are signs that the missing eye is not just missing: It was never present. Also, I recall reading there were guiding lines (and I saw them too. I am not sure if it was this head of Nefertiti though. There are several ones.) on part of the head, similar to what you would find on a study piece today. Also, it was found in one of the artist workshops of Amarna.

One of the more advanced pieces of portraiture is the "green head", which is incredibly realistic, and very much unlike what we are used from Ancient Egyptian style:

As for the Rosetta stone, it is not only famous, but it also has a much higher archaeological significance than the bust of Nefertiti. So it is no wonder the Egyptians want it back.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Is it too obvious that Egyptology is a bit of a passion of mine? ^_^

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Life and times of...

Well, thanks everyone for responding, the first few were all on time and even though I couldn't respnd I did read them. They were all familiar (or even very familiar) items to me from my books (which was good, because they were supposed to be), but unfortunately none of them were the one I was looking for. I know it was African, and I know the swapping part. However...

I did find one reference to something like this which casts a doubt on the whole thing anyways. You see, in one footnote there was a mention of someone saying as a fact in the 70's or so that the Bust of Nefertiti was being transfered between museums, but they said that this was only a rumour and in fact had been very securely in that German museum all the time (since it was brought there). It could be that I read about that (only that someone believed the rumour), it could be that it was some other item, I can't really say. I have the books for a while still, so I might take a few more glances and see what I can cook up, but it's unlikely that I'll find it again.

Again, thanks everyone for helping though!