You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What was your biggest adventure in your life?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Banned User

Default What was your biggest adventure in your life?

I want to hear a good story with adventure that's true, or at least believable. It doesn't even have to be a big adventure. Just a good adventure or significant event. This is random, I know, but I haven't heard a good story in a while and I want to hear (read) one. And it can be about anything really. I just wonder what people's biggest adventures have been.

Last edited by fov; 12-14-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: edited out links
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Off to Room no.99

When I was 14 this girl threw an apple at me so I stabbed her with an item from my pencilcase. I've lived an exciting life.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
overall swell guy

I once was invited to South East Alaska to do the interior work for a friend of my mother's who had converted a large boat house into a four story home. (I am a carpenter by trade).

When I arrived it turned out that the builders had been a little slow and the outer construction wasn't even finished. But luckily my mother's friend had another building site in the middle of the wilderness near the mouth of the Stikine River close to the Canadian border where she had a log cabin/house built. The only way to get there was by boat as there are no roads. The builder she had hired for that task couldn't get any hands as everybody was on fishing boats at the time (on which you can make enough money for the whole year in just four to eight weeks) so I came in quite handy to help out.
I lived alone in/on a float house a mile up the river while my boss Mike stayed in a tent on the building site to guard his tools and generator. I commuted by skiff with an outboard motor and always had my twelve gauge ready at hand in case a bear or moose would object to my being in their territory.

It can be quite spooky out there alone with nothing much to do but cook and eat and drink, watch the sea otters play and hunt or on occasion go fishing while surrounded by potentially unforgiving nature. (Those who have watched the movie 'Into the Wild' know what I'm talking about).
But I wouldn't want to have missed this experience for the world. It was the first time I saw northern lights too.

The thing with this particular region is that it virtually rains all the time so we had to put up a giant tarp over the building project which once blew away in gail force winds. (That was a day off for me while Mike was getting a new tarp on the nearest inhabited island).

Another major nuisance are bugs. I was told that the natives never killed anyone who had broken the laws or murdered someone - they stripped them naked and sent them into the woods. The bugs did the rest. I'm convinced that this can be true. We had to put on 'OFF' ca. every twenty minutes but the stuff doesn't so much as repel the little buggers because there are too many and they are fierce but it kills them on contact. Which means that likewise we had to scrape a black layer of dead bugs off of our portions of skins that had been exposed.
Sometimes we took to the nearest town (a 2 1/2 hour trip by boat and pickup) to take a shower and buy new rations. On these occasions I visited the local bar where the cheapest drink cost-performance ratio wise was White Russian and I guess sometimes I even must have had too many.
The people up there are real frontier people some of whom walk around with their six shooter at their side. Individualists one and all. Tough but reliable. I really liked them a lot.

Sometimes when I feel nostalgic I look up that log cabin in Google Maps and wallow in reminiscence.

I realize that this must not sound much like an adventure to a lot of the Americans on these boards but for this German village boy whose dream it always was to experience the North American wilderness it certainly was.
(Of course I cannot go into every detail here, the post is long enough as it is).

My travel home after that episode was an adventure in itself. 60 pounds of frozen self caught salmon, trout and halibut, an all-nighter in Seattle (with Karaoke), a broken plane, diversions and delays, a hurricane, a taxi ride from Baltimore (where I wasn't even supposed to be) to Washington, an early morning flight to New York exactly one year before 9/11 and a first class flight to Frankfurt are involved with that.

But that's a different story.

(Apart from that I had lots of adventures in my time as a Boy Scout. Step outside, go on a hike and it begins ... ).

Hope you liked it, cheers, Dan.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
tsa
Playing character

The biggest adventure of my life was working on the same scientific project for 8 years in a row. It was so much fun and so interesting to work in nanotechnology and nanofabrication! The high-tech world is one of the coolest to be in right now, and I guess it will stay that way for quite some time still.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Banned User

The biggest adventure in my life is my life.
Damn I'm so awesome sometimes...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Second Degree Black Belt

My greatest adventure are my two girls everyday is different

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I died once.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

Wow! That is so cool! How was life on the other side?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I died once.
What ? Now how did that happen ?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Creepy Father Figure

ADan,
You should have found some Horse Mint and rubbed it on your body. It doesn't smell pretty but keeps the bugs off.
I miss when I used to be able to go off in the woods back in Kentucky. I could go back with some light camping equipment, a few canned goods, and a rifle and stay out for a week or so. Now where I used to go they track you down if you fire a firearm off and fine you.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Wow! That is so cool! How was life on the other side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
What ? Now how did that happen ?
It was surprisingly boring. That's why I came back.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
It was surprisingly boring. That's why I came back.
teehee

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Banned User

Default What was your biggest adventure in your life?

I want to hear a good story with adventure that's true, or at least believable. It doesn't even have to be a big adventure. Just a good adventure or significant event. This is random, I know, but I haven't heard a good story in a while and I want to hear (read) one. And it can be about anything really. I just wonder what people's biggest adventures have been.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #14

As a kid I had so many daring adventures I could write a book about it.

It involved a lot of picking locks, breaking in, climbing buildings and running away from people.
And no, I am not joking. I might write out one of them.

Owh I know one from 6 years ago. I was 16 and had to return in a biology paper a certain day. Because school was already over and I was home when I finished it I decided to go to the teachers house. I asked a friend to come along as I went to the trainstation. On the trainstation we encountered another friend that was willing to join this journey.
So we took a train and it took around 45 minutes.
The thing is...by this time it was already late(around 11:00 and I had a small time window of succeeding to deliver it this day and return to the station so that I wouldn't miss the last train.
Also there weren't any nagivational systems. I had the adress on paper and had a printout of how to get there, but it involved a bus and we figured waiting for it and such wouldn't have us return in time.
So what did we do? We asked two guys who were waiting to get picked up by their dad to tell us the fastest directions to the house. By the time the dad got they decided to bring us there. 0_o
So they I succeeded on returning on time and catching the last train, and this mission that at one point seemed destined to fail experienced a huge turnabout. Thank you complete strangers that were willing to help three somewhat 'intimidating' looking kids.

Last edited by Origami; 12-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Senior *female* member

This rickyhayden person is spamming. Same post, by someone called jeery, appeared in the chit chat forum, with links added.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Indeed. Threads combined, spammers banned, but people who want to can keep sharing crazy stories.