You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Pixiehunter

Default Paypal

Anyone any opinions about whether I should use this or not? There are so much adventure gems for sale online, but I don't really have a mens of payment, since creditcard is pretty much a no go for me (those things are expensive for a poor student like me!) and I am rather paranoid about it getting hacked or something.

Not that I am less paranoid about paypal but at least it seems to be free to get that. So before I do anything I'd like your opinions about ways of online shopping payment. What would you suggest? Huge disadvantages with some methods? Useablility, for example? Things to be careful about?

Okay, now I sound really paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Life and times of...

PayPal's quite user-friendly, fast and, I've understood, reliable. I've not had any problems, but I hear they're pretty good with refunding if for example the payment doesn't get through.

A bit easier to use than always playing with the credit card numbers...

The biggest risk is probably the obvious, all-around risk with internet, own carelessness.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

You can link your PayPal account to your bank account instead of to a credit card. *faints after seeing last month's credit card statement * There have been some changes made recently on eBay, so sellers have been forced to accept PayPal as a method of payment if they didn't before. Many (if not most) international sellers only accept PayPal.

PayPal is generally very safe/secure, I've only run into one snag with PP a few years ago.

(Maybe we can also try to convince Fantsie to change her mind about eBay too! )

Last edited by Trunkyo; 12-10-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
tsa
Playing character

I never use PayPal because I don't see the need. But indeed I am always playing with credit card numbers.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
The Quiet One

For me it's either my mum's credit card or PayPal. I've had no problems with either one of them. I pay my mum the money back if I use her card on sites such as Amazon, Play.com, hmv.com etc. And just like today, I'll check her statement to see if I've payed everything that I owe with the help of a Word document I created back in 2005. I'll type in the document what I ordered, the date that I ordered it, how much it cost and the date I payed for it. Then I just mark it off on the statement.

With PayPal, for eBay, the money comes out of my account. Transactions have been smooth so far. No problems what-so-ever.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Stalker of Britain

Uncle Trunk! I'm too scared of "bidding" on ebay, and having it go higher then I'd like. Sure, the starting price looks good, but then I'm going to end up spending way mroe than I wanted to! *shakes head*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

I have a problem with paypal: they don't want to do payments to Adventure Shop Europe (Metaboli) anymore. My bank account is attached to paypal and before I had no problem at all. I don't want a credit cards either.
They told me that their automatic security system blocks the payments because this probably had a higher risk. Then they advised me to put money on my account at paypal it self and that this would probably fix the problem.

whell, I did follow their advice but I still get the following message if I want to pay with paypal: Error: Payment refused.

I don't know what to do now... How can I order and pay for the games at the store if I don't get an order number etc.?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Staff Member

PayPal is a great service, it's such a convenience not having to type in your credit card each time. For me it's mostly used for Steam and eBay, but it's accepted on many other sites too. Apart from the ability to spend easily, there's nothing to be wary of - just set a strong password and you're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Uncle Trunk! I'm too scared of "bidding" on ebay, and having it go higher then I'd like. Sure, the starting price looks good, but then I'm going to end up spending way mroe than I wanted to! *shakes head*
You should definitely reconsider! You can put in your maximum bid amount and make a run for it, and eBay will place the bids on your behalf. Then you can return when the auction has finished to see if you won or not. Less chance of 'just a bit more'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne View Post
I have a problem with paypal: they don't want to do payments to Adventure Shop Europe (Metaboli) anymore. My bank account is attached to paypal and before I had no problem at all. I don't want a credit cards either.
Sanne, you should try posting this over in the dedicated forum for the Adventure Shop. You'll probably get a quicker answer that way.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
J.H
Frak.

It's great but if you ever end up owing them money they will hound you night and day, literally ring your home phone like 15 - 20 times in the space of like 10 hours it's disgusting. The collection agencies they deal with are rude and attempt to be intimidating.

They thought I owed them £70. What happened was I actually didn't owe them anything, people were bogusly bidding on ebay items that I was selling but didn't pay up. They then messaged me "please send to Nigeria, when we receive the item we will pay" etc etc obviously I didn't send the items. I told ebay this every time it happened but they did nothing and in the end they tried to charge me for the commission but I refused as I hadn't actually sold anything if that makes sense. In the end paypal sent bailiffs to my house, needless to say though no money was paid to them nor items seized. I'm not really sure what happened though they stopped calling etc, all I know is one of my bank accounts is banned from paypal now lol.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Pixiehunter

Thanks for the info you all!

Sounds like it is a good service, I guess it can never really be problem free, but with so much good words about it, I think I feel confident enough to start using it
Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #11

My problem with paypal has been solved by the helpdesk of the Adventure Shop, thanks guys!