You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Thinking of buying an LCD/Plasma TV - Help me choose!

View Poll Results: Which of these TVs should I go for?
Sony 52W5500 2 100.00%
Panasonic TX-P50X10E 0 0%
Grundig Vision 7 47-7970 T 0 0%
Samsung LE52B750 0 0%
Samsung LE55B650 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Hardcore Adventurer

Default Thinking of buying an LCD/Plasma TV - Help me choose!

Thinking of buying an LCD/Plasma TV - Help me choose!

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda in a dilemma here trying to decide which LCD/Plasma TV is best to buy for my gaming consoles (PS3, etc.). I want one that produces the best image quality, with nice colours, brightness and contrast.

Here's the list amongst which to choose:

Sony 52W5500 (LCD)
Panasonic TX-P50X10E (Plasma)
Grundig Vision 7 47-7970 T (LCD)
Samsung LE52B750 (LCD)
Samsung LE55B650 (LCD)

So, tell me - which of the 5 should I go for?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

whilst the plasma might be producing the brightest picture and most certainly better black levels than the LCDs at that screen size, the peace of mind of not being susceptible to screen burn would let me tend towards LCD, if you are mainly use the screen for gaming.
out of those the Sony is probably known for vibrant colours, so that would be my choice.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Junior Mint

A few months ago I bought an LG 47LH90 LED-backlit TV. LED TVs are a little more expensive than standard (fluorescent) LCDs, but they get much bigger contrast ratios (lighter whites and darker blacks). This one has local-dimming LEDs (which improves the contrast ratio even further) and a 240Hz refresh rate (very useful for gaming and watching Blu-Ray movies)... and it was only slightly more expensive than comparable LCD TVs from Sony and Samsung. The nearest LED TVs in price from those brands were at least $500 more, and this one got better reviews than those.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation. Also, I'd recommend staying away from Sony, as they're overpriced (but reliable, so if you have the extra dough to spend on their brand name and it makes you more comfortable). Also, I would never buy a plasma, but I suppose that's a personal choice. The technology has improved from when they used to be susceptible to screen burn-in, but they are still known to not have as long of a shelf-life as LCD TVs.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

ok i have some knowledge on this, first aim for a lcd as plasma are not as reliable in terms of lasting. in fact one reason plasma's are cheaper is because most companies are not making them any more and they want them off the market. An lcd today are alot better than what they were the blacks can be perfect as long as you set them up right. The samsungs tend to be alittle plastic in my view. one thing i will suggest, investigate john lewis prices as they give a very good warrenty that is really really good. i know about the warrenty asmy dad used to repair their stuff. lg, philips toshiba i would look at as friends that have them have been very happy and we have a philips which still looks fantastic even after 4 years. It is worth going to all the shops looking at the tvs comparing them and make a choice like that. When buying look online it may be cheaper and have free delivery.

Marise-Chiko