You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Profound thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Profound thoughts

Post your 'deep' thoughts or questions you have been pondering here. I will start with what I just realized.

Girls always wake up girly, but do earls always wake up early?

Last edited by tsa; 07-13-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Clarification. See also a bit further down in this thread.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

Is a butcher's dog still as fit as a butcher's dog if it is only fed the bark from trees?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
The Major Grubert.

A nod is as good as a wink, to blind bat!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I've always been a fan of "don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things".
Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

This one has stumped us for some time:

At a certain day in the year, the earth is on one side of the sun, like this:

^Earth ^sun

So the right side of the earth is illuminated and it's light during daytime hours. Half a year later, the situation is like this:

Why is it not dark during daytime hours then?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Failed Birthday Elf

Old Chinese proverb say...

Any man may know that a Tomato is, in fact, not vegetable but fruit.

However, wise man knows not to put it in fruit salad.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Is a butcher's dog still as fit as a butcher's dog if it is only fed the bark from trees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
A nod is as good as a wink, to blind bat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I've always been a fan of "don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Old Chinese proverb say...

Any man may know that a Tomato is, in fact, not vegetable but fruit.

However, wise man knows not to put it in fruit salad.
These are interesting sayings but that is not entirely what I had in mind for this thread. I admid that the first thing I posted looked like one of these sayings maybe a bit too much, but I really wanted you to put thoughts or questions that YOU came up with, like the one of the earth around the sun I posted for instance, or philosophical or mathematical or physical questions or thoughts you would like to discuss. Hopefully we can have interesting discussions about them.
I'm sorry I was a bit unclear in the beginning. I hope you understand better now what I had in mind for this thread.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

From your posts, I find it very hard to believe you intended this thread to be about serious thoughts.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
From your posts, I find it very hard to believe you intended this thread to be about serious thoughts.
Sorry, but it was meant to be. And do you know the answer to the earth question?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Back in school, I once realised that the sun is not always in the South, but can actually be seen in the north, if you just go far enough south of the tropic of capricorn (as the sun doesn't go any further south than the tropic of capricorn, you see).

Ironically, I asked my geography teacher if I was right, and he made it a discussion with the whole class, and in the end the thing we came to was that even south of the tropic of capricorn the sun was in the south.

But you know what? My theory was right. I got some friend's friends who were having holiday in Australia to check it for me, and they confirmed it. And it's easy to imagine too - I mean, the easiest example is being at the south pole. The sun is not right above you, but always in the north (since there's no other direction but north at the exact south pole). And you can move quite a bit north until it starts being in the south.

Hah!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
At a certain day in the year, the earth is on one side of the sun, like this:

^Earth ^sun

So the right side of the earth is illuminated and it's light during daytime hours. Half a year later, the situation is like this:

Why is it not dark during daytime hours then?
The day/night cycle has nothing to do with where the Earth is relative to the sun, it is about the rotation of the Earth along its poles. The time it takes to get from light to light is 24 hours. That time doesn't change just because the Earth has moved. I'm sorry, but I don't see why you'd think it would.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
Stalker of Britain

Why is it that items transported in a car is called "shipping", yet items transported on a ship is called "cargo"? lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
merely human

Wonder if they come in alien sizes.

Dear Blog Thingy,

My sister made it known that her Turkish husband's childhood friends in Germany wanted to meet more of our family, specifically me. I wrote back: "Good Gawd, what have you been telling them about me???!"

She replied, "That you're an intellectual, artistic gay of a guy but, basically, to hear another typical American accent to converse with. I slip occasionally - disadvantage of marrying a foreigner and talking to foreigners."

Great. If/when I finally go there to visit they're gonna grill me to death. I didn't know my American accent had any value to it. At least I now have a standing invitation for a place to stay whenever I go there.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
The Major Grubert.

“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting” -- Jack Handy
Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specksie View Post
“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting” -- Jack Handy
"If God does indeed dwell within us, I am sooo gonna charge the sonuvabeeyatch rent. I need the money!" -- Trep
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
The day/night cycle has nothing to do with where the Earth is relative to the sun, it is about the rotation of the Earth along its poles. The time it takes to get from light to light is 24 hours. That time doesn't change just because the Earth has moved. I'm sorry, but I don't see why you'd think it would.
Because I always learned that the earth rotates around its axis once every 24 hours. That must be not true, otherwise daytime WOULD shift during the year. EDIT: we both were right; I never knew there was a Mean Solar Day and a Sidereal Day.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
The Major Grubert.

"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph." -- Steven Wright
Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #19

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
I got some friend's friends who were having holiday in Australia to check it for me, and they confirmed it. And it's easy to imagine too - I mean, the easiest example is being at the south pole. The sun is not right above you, but always in the north (since there's no other direction but north at the exact south pole). And you can move quite a bit north until it starts being in the south.
What month was it?