You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Need help with Vista

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Need help with Vista

I just got Vista and I'm so upset. I had problems with it all day long. For starter I can't install half of my old XP software. That's not even the worst part. The worst part is that it can't even copy or move one song or picture. The only way I managed to copy a song is to left click it, click on "copy", open the file I want to copy it and click on "paste". There has to be an easier way. And I don't even have one idea on how to move a song.

The other thing that upseted me is that it wont install my windows XP !!!! It keeps telling me that XP is an older OS and can't be installed.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
a|A

Send a message via MSN to a|A

I've got vista. Personally I love it.

What do you mean you can't copy or move a song or picture ? From one computer to another ? or from one folder to another ?

And what software are you having problems with ? oh, and what version of vista are you running ?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|A View Post
I've got vista. Personally I love it.
XP for me. I feel that it is way easier to use.

Quote:
What do you mean you can't copy or move a song or picture ? From one computer to another ? or from one folder to another ?
Yes. You can't copy from file to file. You can't move a pic/song/video from file to file. You can't even copy or move to an MP3 player, a side from "dragging it". With XP you had "Move" or "Copy" on the left side. All you did was click it and highlight the file you want to move or copy it to. With Vista you don't get the option. The only thing you get on the left side is other files, which I removed. I didn't see much of a point to having them there.

Quote:
And what software are you having problems with ?
Mostly all are uninstallable. If it's install it still wont work 100%. I'm have problems with the software that came with my printer and mp3. The printer isn't all that big of a deal. But the MP3 software is something I really wish to get working. I really wish to use the features on the CD.

Quote:
oh, and what version of vista are you running ?
I believe Home Premium.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
a|A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl4m View Post
Yes. You can't copy from file to file. You can't move a pic/song/video from file to file. You can't even copy or move to an MP3 player, a side from "dragging it". With XP you had "Move" or "Copy" on the left side. All you did was click it and highlight the file you want to move or copy it to. With Vista you don't get the option. The only thing you get on the left side is other files, which I removed. I didn't see much of a point to having them there.
Nope, you've lost me here.
I copy files by one of two means :
1) Highlight the files you want to copy, and either rightclick on them and select 'copy', or press ctrl+c. Then go to the folder you want to paste them into and right click, then select 'paste' ( or ctrl+v ).
2) highlight the files you want to copy/move. and drag the files using the *right* mouse button. When you let go of the button it will pop up a menu giving you the option to copy or move.

I assume that's what you want to do ?
I'm not sure what you mean by menus on the side.

Quote:
Mostly all are uninstallable. If it's install it still wont work 100%. I'm have problems with the software that came with my printer and mp3. The printer isn't all that big of a deal. But the MP3 software is something I really wish to get working. I really wish to use the features on the CD.
Yeah, Drivers are the biggest issue with vista. Check the website for the manufacturer, there might be an update on the software.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Banned User

Is there a way of installing XP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|A View Post
Nope, you've lost me here.
I copy files by one of two means :
1) Highlight the files you want to copy, and either rightclick on them and select 'copy', or press ctrl+c. Then go to the folder you want to paste them into and right click, then select 'paste' ( or ctrl+v ).
2) highlight the files you want to copy/move. and drag the files using the *right* mouse button. When you let go of the button it will pop up a menu giving you the option to copy or move.
Yes. Thoughs were the only 2 ways I found to copy or move files. So every time I want to move a mp3 song I have to have both files open ? And let's say that, in one folder, I want to move 20 songs out of 100 song to an MP3 player. I'm gonna have to go back and forth 20 times switching between the folder with music and the MP3 to move the songs ?

Things where so much easier with XP. Do you remember the left side menu ? It was in blue. In the menu there were things like "New File", "Copy", "Move". And do you remember ever time you wanted to move/copy a file on XP you had a list of all the files you can move it to, not so with Vista.

Quote:
Yeah, Drivers are the biggest issue with vista. Check the website for the manufacturer, there might be an update on the software.
I tried, nothing. The software is too old.

P.S. Why are "All programs" so small in Vista ? In XP they took half the screen.

Last edited by nl4m; 11-26-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
a|A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl4m View Post
Is there a way of installing XP ?
yeah, I'm pretty sure you can dual boot XP and Vista.

Quote:
Yes. Thoughs were the only 2 ways I found to copy or move files. So every time I want to move a mp3 song I have to have both files open ? And let's say that, in one folder, I want to move 20 songs out of 100 song to an MP3 player. I'm gonna have to go back and forth 20 times switching between the folder with music and the MP3 to move the songs ?
Uhm,
No, just click and drag a selection box around the mp3s you want to copy. If that doesnt work, click on one, then hold shift, and click on the next one, until you have all of them selected.

Quote:
Things where so much easier with XP. Do you remember the left side menu ? It was in blue. In the menu there were things like "New File", "Copy", "Move". And do you remember ever time you wanted to move/copy a file on XP you had a list of all the files you can move it to, not so with Vista.
Nah, I turned that side menu off, it only got in the way

Quote:
P.S. Why are "All programs" so small in Vista ? In XP they took half the screen.
That's the new vista start menu. If you right click on the bar that runs across the bottom of the screen and select 'preferences' - then go to the 'start menu' tab, and you can select the classic start menu.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Caffein Queen

Unless you're a real geek/nerd it's nearly impossible to INSTALL XP on a Vista machine.
It's possible the other way around though.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Game Creator Hobbyist

Press Alt, and a menu will appear. In the Edit menu, you will find the commands you seek: "Copy to folder..." and "Move to folder...". (The names may be slightly different. My Windows is in Swedish.)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Press Alt, and a menu will appear. In the Edit menu, you will find the commands you seek: "Copy to folder..." and "Move to folder...". (The names may be slightly different. My Windows is in Swedish.)
Oh My God !!!! Your a genius and a life saver !!! You rock.

And thanks to everyone else for all your help. You all have been great. I just have one question. When you burn a data CD, with pictures, songs, and text on it, why is it that no other machine can read it ? With XP I'd burn data CD's all the time and they all played in my CD player. When I burned it using Vista my CD player, nor my PS3, can't fine one track.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Game Creator Hobbyist

That I can't answer, since I don't think I've ever used XP's built-in CD burning capability and the only thing I've burnt on Vista so far is backups (on DVD).

But I do have a guess. CDs need to be closed (so they can't be written to anymore) before they can be read by a CD player and not only a computer. Maybe that's something to do with your problem?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
Banned User

No. It can't be read on a Playsttion 3 either. My CD play can read songs without it being closed.