You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Unpopular Opinions: the Chit Chat version!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #41
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Teenage males who state that they aren't interested in casual sex, or witter on about saving themselves for the right one because of Jesus are rationalising their lack of opportunity to indulge in casual sex. Or at least, that's what I did when I was a teenager.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #42
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I think it's stupid to make sweeping generalisations about an entire group of people. Even if statistics support such a generalisation, all they can really tell you is what the average is, and no single individual is representative of an average.

Yes, SSH, I'm talking to you, although everything mentioned in this thread about children also applies.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #43
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Never mind.

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #44
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Sorry Hammy and any of the anti-kids posters, I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't post in this thread or weren't entitled to your opinions. What I have posted are my opinions of indeterminate popularity and were a response to your opinions, but of course we disagree and you may well have good reasons for your opinions. And sorry Squinky for messing up your thread.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #45
Kung Fu Code Poet

Hmm, I also was never interested in one night stands as a teen. And it was not from lack of opportunity either.... my school had lots of slutty women for slutty men to choose from.

And Squinky... yarrrrp, I too made sweeping genarilisations about kids... But mine's an admitted prejudice... I'm an "ist" of some sort.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #46
kamikaze hummingbirds

Whatev' dawg.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #47

I think getting obscenely drunk from time to time and doing stupid things is perfectly fine. As long as they're only harmful to yourself, that is. Drinking and driving should be punishable by death penalty.

I hate cars. They're ugly, stinky, malevolent machines. Yes, ferrari's and the like are butt-ugly. There's not one single car that's actually "nice looking" because they're by defitions ugly tools of transportation. There's no such thing as a beautiful machine.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #48
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I tend to value practicality over aesthetics, however, that said there are many 'machines' that I think are 'beautiful' for what they give me - time and energy sparing relaxation. For example, the washer and dryer - big ugly clunky things that I wouldn't give up for the world. Refridgerator/freezer - who wants to spend time each day shopping for fresh foods, when you have another big clunky item which preserves foods for you?

Cars are ugly, smelly, and awkward things that I also wouldn't do without - I work for an agency and work at different facilities, usually from 11p to 7:30am. When I lived in the Boston area, I could have managed with public transportation, but here in Sarasota, Florida, public transportation is a joke.
Ride a bike, you say? The facilities range from 11 to 34 miles away from where I live. And this is 'lightning alley' where we have daily thunderstorms during the summer. How many hours per day should I allot for transportation to and from work? I think I'll stick with my smelly car, thanks.

It would be nice if we could 'practically' live in a world of beauty, but alas, that is both impractical and virtually impossible.

FGM
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #49
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Sorry Hammy and any of the anti-kids posters, I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't post in this thread or weren't entitled to your opinions. What I have posted are my opinions of indeterminate popularity and were a response to your opinions, but of course we disagree and you may well have good reasons for your opinions. And sorry Squinky for messing up your thread.
Thank you.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #50

My unpopular opinion: Mondays are great! If I were to rank the days of the week:

1. Monday - the best
2. Saturday - obviously
3. Thursday - entertaining
4. Tuesday - Also entertaining, but every place you go is surprisingly busy
5. Wednesday - I just don't like the name "Wednesday"
6. Sunday - I'm pretty much dead the whole day
7. Friday - the craziest day of the week, in a bad way
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #51
The Major Grubert.

Children are the most precious thing on this planet (of any species). That human children need care as infants doesn't make them "animal". What a coarse viewpoint, one that has been proven to be unpopular -- so your post was very on topic! Bravo, I think...

obUnpopular: Most American's, regardless of which side of center one leans, is perfectly happy being manipulated by the various media streams they shoot up.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
It would be nice if we could 'practically' live in a world of beauty, but alas, that is both impractical and virtually impossible.

FGM
Wow, I'm not saying we shouldn't use cars. I just don't get people who appreciate the beauty of cars (car magazines, car tuning, the likes). They're ugly.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #53
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Sorry, then, you seemed to imply that they are too nasty to use.

FGM
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #54
Freeware Co-ordinator

I can and do manage without a car and know other people who do the same. (Though not all from choice) I believe that cars are too common and that at the very least there should be a lot less of them and ideally they should only be allowed for people who genuninely require them (e.g. those so physically disabled that any other means of transport is impossible)

However, I think Fairygdmther has hit the nail on the head as to why this can't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
When I lived in the Boston area, I could have managed with public transportation, but here in Sarasota, Florida, public transportation is a joke.
As long as there isn't a decent public transport system (and there isn't one over here either. Fortunately for me I don't have the wide travelling issues FGM has) then most people are going to stick with cars, even those that don't particularly like them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #55
Unreliable Narrator

I wish they didn't kill the electric car, but that doesn't seem to be an unpopular opinion at all.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #56
Under pressure.

Most cars are indeed quite ugly, but some are beautiful. I like old American models, and I still cringe when I see the movie "Christine", when that car is being damaged and eventually crushed.

I don't really like modern cars, although there are exceptions. I think the new Ford Mustang looks good, for example. But maybe that's because you don't see them much here in Europe?

--Erwin
Old 08-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #57
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I wish they didn't kill the electric car, but that doesn't seem to be an unpopular opinion at all.
Video killed the electric car. Of course, a Prius or somesuch is an electric-petrol hybrid...

*SSH seriously considers buying this
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #58
tsa
Playing character

We should enforce a one child per family policy in the Western world.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #59
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Don't want to diss your opinion, tsa, but my opinion of unknown popularity is:

Birth rates in the western world are too low, not enough to sustain population in many countries and need to increase or otherwise who is going to generate the wealth in 40 years time that makes the stockmarket (and thus pension funds) increase enough to support the growing number of retired people.

The (probably better) alternative is, of course, to increase the wealth-generation abilities of the enormous third world population, but I think that would be harder than getting westerners to have more unprotected sex
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #60
Kung Fu Code Poet

I am of the opinion that what this planet needs is a mass extinction of the human race.

But since that won't happen any time soon, we should just try our best to make the most of the place and respect what it gives us. (not an unpopular opinion)