You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat New 7 Wonders of the World - Election

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #21
Homer of Kittens

I was thinking about this while driving to work today and I thought, part of what made the old wonders "wonders", was the way they were built back then, with the limited technology they had. Take the sheer size of each block of stone in the pyramids. The wonder was how they moved them over each other, in 4000 BC, and how many people they had to rely on to do that. If they were probably built today, people would be less impressed. That's probably what's lacking in my opinion of the newer "wonders" like the eiffel tower or the statue of liberty.

Firefox rules
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
tsa
Playing character

That's nonsense, the Eiffel tower was just as high-tech in its time as the pyramids were in their time.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

My votes:

- The Great Wall - probably the vote I thought the least about. It's massive, it's the work of many, many years, and a ridiculous amount of manpower (and, unfortunately, plenty of work-induced deaths). I don't find it pretty, but it does make me go "wowza" most.
- Easter Island Statues - they made it into Mario as enemies! They're also the most unique of the offered world wonders - most other things are some sort of building, with the exception of the Christ Redeemer. This was another one I had firmly decided on almost instantly.
- Angkor, Petra, Machu Picchu and Timbuktu were all (more or less) new to me - after reading up on everyone of the other proposals that I didn't know anything about, though, I decided for these. Of these, I find Petra deserves most mention.
- Chichen Itza - I was torn between the Pyramids in Giza and this one. I can't say I could argue for Chichen Itza to save my life, precisely, but I have swayed that way finally, after fifteen long minutes of emotional brooding.

I'm a little sad that there was no room for the Sydney Opera House - before I sat down and really began to vote, I thought at least one of the "modern" wonders would make it into my list. I'm surprised I was wrong about that assumption - and a little sad.

As much as I like Stonehenge, it was never an option. I don't consider it "wonderous" enough. But that may just be overexposure - in fact, it's probably overexposure that lead me to pick Chichen Itza over the Giza Pyramids (and that didn't even have me considering the Neuschwanstein Castle).

All in all, though, I find it's a pretty good set of options.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #24
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
My votes:
I'm a little sad that there was no room for the Sydney Opera House
Sure it looks unique from the outside but as a music hall its still pretty average. They've fiddled with the interior on many occasions and its still a cramped venue with poor acoustic sound.

Its held together with glue (araldite)

Most of the wonders on the new list have some of the features of the previous wonders (social meaning, age, amazing construction) but not all of them together.

I think Egypt is right in trying to get the pyramids removed from the new list. It doesn't belong in the same list as the statue of liberty or the opera house.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #25
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

My votes:

Hagia Sophia
An unimaginably impressive structure, and the ingenious and unique construction makes it one of the seven wonders of the world in my opinion.

Alhambra
It's a symbol and ambassador of an empire and era long past, and simply impressive all around.

The Pyramids
In my opinion, these shouldn't even be up for consideration. They're the only original wonders still standing, and the reasons why they were wonders before stand even greater today.

The Statue of Liberty
A symbol of unity at the time when France and the United States were at excellent diplomatic relations, this impressive structure, in my opinion, stands among the ranks of Christ Redemmer and the Eiffel Tower in terms of wonder.

Chichen Itza
I voted for this simply becasue of the civilization it represents.

Kremlin/St. Basil's Cathedral
I've always been impressed with this majestic structure. Truly, one of the wonders. Also, what it stand for line were enough for me to vote for it.

Petra
Same reasons as above.

Last edited by Giligan; 03-07-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #26

The Pyramids of Giza should be a definite default. They are the oldest candidate up for voting (except for Stonehenge, which is of a completely different scale and cannot be compared), they've been voted a world wonder before (not a strong argument, but still), and above all they are still standing proudly, without any reason to believe they will break down soon. That's an incredible achievement, and these 3 arguments make them a default choice for me.

As for the rest, the most impressive building I've seen in my life with my own eyes is the Sagrada Familias in Barcelone, which is much more impressive than the Alhambra from Granada, the Colloseum, the Statue of Liberty of the Eiffel Tower (which I've also seen), so I rule those out on grounds of "not impressive enough".

So then there's only monuments left that I haven't seen with my own eyes, but based on tv and pictures, I'd go for:

Angkor Watt
Chitchen Izza
Easter Island Statues
Great Wall of China
Petra
Taj Mahal
Old 03-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #27
Dungeon Master

I haven't voted yet, but my seven would most likely be:

The Great Wall -
Quote:
probably the vote I thought the least about. It's massive, it's the work of many, many years, and a ridiculous amount of manpower (and, unfortunately, plenty of work-induced deaths). I don't find it pretty, but it does make me go "wowza" most.
Machu Picchu - if forced to pick one, it would be the place I want to visit before I die. (This is not inconsistent with the Great Wall being my first choice - the Wall is gargantuous and as such hardly qualifies as one "place". I consider it a part of its charm, in fact.) The breathtaking combination of architecture and nature makes me wonder why it's not the ultimate adventure game setting the way Egypt and Easter Island are.

Speaking of which, Easter Island - giant heads of unknown purpose creepily staring at the ocean. What's not to like?

Stonehenge - I understand those of you who dismissed it as a "collection of rocks" etc. In fact, the simplicity of shape is one of the reasons I wasn't very keen on including the Giza Pyramids. (Also, I don't get the logic of "They were on the previous list, so they have to be on this one" at all.) I guess I am just a sucker for unexplained mysteries, hence both Stonehenge and Easter Island statues intrigue me so much.

Eiffel Tower - the young'un on my list - unique, romantic, iconic. (Also - to my regret - the only of the 21 I had actually set my foot on. It didn't influence my vote, though.)

For the last two available spots, there'd be a tough competition between practically all the non-twentieth-century contenders. But I'd be leaning towards Chichén Itzá and Angkor.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I gots myself quoted, yay! *strut, preen, prance*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢