You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Do you want to move?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Do you want to move?

Would you like to move somewhere else? Do you not like your current location or just want to try something different? Or are you happy where you are?

This thread brought to you by high winds and the trees right next to my house.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Lazy Bee

I've moved seven times so far in my life. Out of these re-locations four of them were to a different area of the country.
Now I've found my place on earth. I've lived on this spot for 13 years now and plan to stay here.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Right now, I'm living in San Rafael, California, but only for one more month. Then I'll be back in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I like it here in the Bay Area a lot, and could potentially see myself moving here after I graduate, if only because of a certain episodic adventure game company I'm interning for that I've grown rather fond of. I think I like the weather better around here, too. Being Canadian, I spent my childhood in places where it snowed a lot and my adolescence somewhere where it rained a lot, and didn't really like either.

I also think it'd be cool to live somewhere European, though probably only temporarily. I'm hoping I'll get to do that next summer.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

1969- Alameda Av.
1971- Lee Av.
1978- Terrace R.
1979- 52nd St.
1981- Oak Lane
1982- 34th St.
1984- 40th St.
1985- Meadow Lane
1986- 12th Court South
1988- 27th St. Ensley
1991- 47th Place
1993- Northumberland Drive
1993- 17th Av. South
1993- Dogwood Av.
1994- 38th St.
1996- West Bolton St.
1996- Route 63
1997- Clairmont Av.
1998- Clairmont Av.

No, I don't care to move again.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm unusual, most likely, in that my family has never moved house during my lifetime. So I'm somewhat attached to home...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Under pressure.

I want to move to California.

--Erwin
Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
Live Slow Die Old

I grew up in Montreal, and like Robert, my family has lived in the same house since I was born. I moved out of there several years ago into my own place and have since lived in 3 different apartments around the city. I spent a year in Toronto and am currently residing in Edinburgh. Ultimately though, I have my eye on Squinky's old stomping grounds and plan on settling down in Vancouver with my girlfriend next fall to look for work.

As much as I hate the act of moving itself, it's fun to get a change of scenery every now and then. And as much as I love Montreal, a quarter of a century is enough for me. There's too much out there to sit in one spot my whole life.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #8
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
1969- Alameda Av.
1971- Lee Av.
1978- Terrace R.
1979- 52nd St.
1981- Oak Lane
1982- 34th St.
1984- 40th St.
1985- Meadow Lane
1986- 12th Court South
1988- 27th St. Ensley
1991- 47th Place
1993- 17th Av. South
1993- Dogwood Av.
1994- 38th St.
1996- West Bolton St.
1996- Route 63
1997- Clairmont Av.
1998- Clairmont Av.
Do I see a pattern here?

Yes, I want to. I've been living three and a half out of the last five years (or most of them, anyway) somewhere else (ex-college boy), and came home to find out that I don't reeeaally feel at home anymore... at home. Yet, here I am. Still.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Second Degree Black Belt

I'm not completely on the same pages as Sage but I have moved a few times since I was born. My (pain in the ____, poor excuse for a father) moved us several times.....

Born in Augusta Ga. (Richmond)

Moved to South Augusta (closer to my Aunts and Uncles)

Then to

Atlanta (Mid -town)

Atlanta (Tech Wood Drive) - Now know for their drive buy shootings

Canton, Ga (rental house - our new house was being built)

South Side of Canton, Ga (new house)

After High School

Moved to Hampton, Ga

Griffin, Ga (south side)

married moved to - Griffin, Ga. (North side)

I don't think I want to move again either

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
is not wierd

I've only moved once before, within the same city. Well OK, I guess coming to the university counts as moving, too.

I'd like to live in Paris for a while (and I'm planning on taking French classes starting next year). Perhaps after college I'll just move to Paris for a year to experience something new.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Super Moderator

When I'm through with my PhD, I'll be moving. If I stay in California, I want to go to the Bay area. Otherwise it'll likely be the east coast (most of the jobs I would be applying for are in New York or New Jersey).

Born Rockford, IL --> Champaign, IL (school) --> Stockton, IL (worked one year there) --> Naperville, IL (worked there two years) --> West Lafayette, IN (residency) --> Davis, CA (PhD) --> ??
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
capsized.

Lafayette sounds so French...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Now know for their drive buy shootings.
Tell me more!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I've moved three times in my life.

Two were within the same city. My parents moved once when I was 2, an event I don't remember. My mom and I then moved again when I was 17, because we needed a smaller place. (Yep, I spent 15 years in the same place.)

Finally I moved out on my own when I was 20 to where I am now, about a hour and a half drive east of my hometown.

I want to move one day to a place that has more geeks, more jobs, more public transit, and costs less... however, unfortunately, the first three generally don't go with the last one.

Finally, I'm being forced to move again in the near future. My roommate just suddenly decided with no warning to make arrangements to move out on his own without me and without telling me. So now I suddenly have to find the resources to move.

This *despite* the fact that he knows I've been having trouble finding work, have little money saved up because of it, and I've never made enough to live on my own, anyway. (Of course, the fact that he's under the delusion that full-time jobs grow on trees even for people with no college degree and I've apparently just chosen to have sucky jobs instead probably factors in here.) So much for us being friends all these years.

Since I don't have any family to help me out (my mom has no money and no room), and no friends in this area other than my roommate, my next move may be to a cardboard box on Main Street if I don't get lucky job-wise.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
1969- Alameda Av.
1971- Lee Av.
1978- Terrace R.
1979- 52nd St.
1981- Oak Lane
1982- 34th St.
1984- 40th St.
1985- Meadow Lane
1986- 12th Court South
1988- 27th St. Ensley
1991- 47th Place
1993- 17th Av. South
1993- Dogwood Av.
1994- 38th St.
1996- West Bolton St.
1996- Route 63
1997- Clairmont Av.
1998- Clairmont Av.

No, I don't care to move again.
Forty years for that? Pff. Rookie.

1984 - Born in Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
1989 - Ibiza, Spain
1989 - Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
1990 - ?, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
1990 - [school starts here]
1990 - Camps Bay, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
199? - Bantry Bay, Cape Town
199? - Constantia, Cape Town
1996 - Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
1997 - Constantia, Cape Town
1998 - Boltenhagen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany
1998 - St. Peter Ording, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
2003 - [school ends here]
2003 - Wedel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
2003 - [university starts here]

Intended:

2008 - [university ends here]
2008 - Manchester, England, United Kingdom

And then, hopefully, never moving again.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™

Last edited by pinkgothic; 11-17-2006 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Whoohoo. Remembered where I was in '89.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Do I see a pattern here?
Two, actually:

#1- Mom likes to move because it keeps the useless crap cleaned out.

#2- Roommate relationships are tenuous relationships at best.

Unfortunately, where I live now will be torn down to make way for so-called "luxury condominiums", so I'm looking for a new place to live as we speak.

Dammit.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I'd like to live in Paris for a while (and I'm planning on taking French classes starting next year). Perhaps after college I'll just move to Paris for a year to experience something new.
You should do that. I know someone who studied French and then went to study abroad there but ended up staying a year longer than planned. My brother also spent a year in Japan after studying it for a year, and he also had a good time.

Me, I'm studying both French and Japanese so I can stay in both places. French will also come in handy for when I finally get to visit Bora Bora.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #17
Creepy Father Figure

Me and my Family are praying we get the chance to move back to Texas this summer.
I lived here in Kentucky from 1976-1985 with a constant itch to go back to Texas. When I got to Texas I lived there from 1985- 2002 and all the sudden decided KY was the place to be(A Green Acres moment that passed quickly) and have been like a fish out of water ever since
Old 11-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I've only moved twice in my entire life so far, same city, different houses. Since I was only a year old the first time we moved from the duplex we shared with another Chinese family, there aren't any recollections of that experience.

We lived in house two for 21 long years, so my sister and I basically grew up there. The most ironic thing about living there was the fact that we had a double garage and a extra-large driveway... but no car! (My parents never learned how to drive, so we didn't have a car until my sis and I got our licenses! )

When I graduated from university, my dad unilaterally decided that moving to Toronto would be in my best interest (more job opportunities for grads, more Chinese girls for me to date ) so he put our childhood home up for sale. Well, through several quirks of fate (which I won't mention here) we wound up moving instead to another house in a very different part of the city. This had to be the most stressful, aggravating, and arduous ordeal our family ever endured, packing up two decades of furniture, books, clothes, etc.

Now, thirteen years later, I'm planning to finally spread my wings and move out on my own. (If Saksquash were still here, he'd probably be ridiculing me. ) Besides, I've accumulated so much "stuff" in my bedroom (clothing, adventure games, books, manga, DVDs) that it's ready to explode any day now!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #19

I've lived in Canada, Finland, and Washington state, and they all happen to be in the northern climes. Right now I'd like to live somewhere near the equator, where I don't have to see evergreen trees and there's more sunlight. A different culture could be an interesting thing too.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #20

I have been thinking quite a lot about moving to another part of the city lately. Right nowI live in Chelsea, which is admittedly an extremely nice neighbourhood that by all accounts I should never want to leave. I've been told it is the most desirable area in the country.

It certainly is very pretty, and completely safe. There are no issues about walking the streets at night alone, no worries about break-ins, the streets are clean, the local services are good, and the shops and restaurants are all quite nice.

However, I do pay quite a lot for a relatively small space, and there isn't much to do at night. I'm thinking of moving to Camden, to be near the markets and far more late night activities, plus a faster commute to university. I've actually been trying without success to convince some friends to consider moving there as well, so people can get together to go out for the night easily, or watch a film somewhere.

Either way, it won't be for a few months, until my lease expires, so there's some time to think about it.