You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A quilting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
merely human

I wasn't able to help you, bullsie, sorry.

When I was studying design in art school I took knitting class. I handknitted two sweater vests for my final senior collection to be shown in the annual fashion show (they hired the very best models and choreographer, it was indistinguishable from, say, a Calvin Klein runway show). The sweater vests turned out handsomely, I used Maratona merino wool yarns (fuck acrylic, those are for cheap old suburban ladies who don't understand true quality and luxury) in colourblocks of deep sage and aubergine. The aubergine part was knitted from Donegal wool tweed yarn. I designed them to look like half the front panel was slipping off (in the shape of a paper pattern for garments), so the hemline was uneven. To make the panel appear more 3 dimensional I went back and hand crotcheted the edges.

The man's vest had a chunky cable knitted in the center. About halfway down I engineered the cable to actually detach itself from the body, then rejoin just before it reached the hem.

The woman's vest was bolero length (to show off the high waist a-line trousers in wine wool challis and pumpkin plaid; she wore a dark eucalyptus merino wool knit long sleeve t-shirt under the vest).

The vests turned out beautifully and fit the models snugly and went well with the rest of my collection. My professors freaked because they've never seen sweaters constructed in that way before.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #22
Second Degree Black Belt

Don't worry honey bunny I still love ya.

that's cool about you collection. I might see your work up on the catwalk one day.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Don't worry honey bunny I still love ya.
Careful. saksie might get jealous.

Quote:
that's cool about you collection. I might see your work up on the catwalk one day.
One day perhaps. I'm not completely done with fashion, though I absolutely detest how the industry per se operates. I did see my work on the catwalk, several times. Most of my ideas were realized under the aegis of my bosses at the women's designer sportswear company I worked for. We showed in New York City to the press and buyers (many of whom represented stores like Neiman Marcus, the erstwhile Marshall Field's, Nordstrom, Saks, and the late I. Magnin). We had the very best international models. It really was a dream job for me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Careful. saksie might get jealous. .
some how I doubt that. He doesn’t seem like the type to get jealous, well over anyone as fabulous as I am anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
One day perhaps. I'm not completely done with fashion, though I absolutely detest how the industry per se operates. I did see my work on the catwalk, several times. Most of my ideas were realized under the aegis of my bosses at the women's designer sportswear company I worked for. We showed in New York City to the press and buyers (many of whom represented stores like Neiman Marcus, the erstwhile Marshall Field's, Nordstrom, Saks, and the late I. Magnin). We had the very best international models. It really was a dream job for me.
That is soooo cool.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #25
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Bulldog - let's go back to measures. Are your final squares to your pattern 6 1/2" or are they that size to begin with? You need to figure seams of 1/2" on all sides so if that is the size of the squares to start with, then your usable size is 5 1/2".

A queen sized mattress is 60 x 80" with the standard overhang of 14", that makes it 86" x 94" - If she'll use it as a bedspread, bring it up to 108" to include the top 'overhang'. Sometimes quilts are made smaller than standard, since you don't tuck them in. Figure 72" x 84", since it doesn't come up to the head of the bed. With an even 6" square, you would need 168 squares, maybe you could figure up or down from there for either the 5 1/2 or 6 1/2" actual size.

Please tell me you're not doing this by hand? If you have a machine, does it have a heavy duty mode for when you put the stuffing inside. After you put a plain backing on it you put in the stuffing, line it up straight, and stitch through all layers, because if you don't, the first time it's washed, the stuffing will all ball up in one corner.

FGM
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #26
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Bulldog - let's go back to measures. Are your final squares to your pattern 6 1/2" or are they that size to begin with? You need to figure seams of 1/2" on all sides so if that is the size of the squares to start with, then your usable size is 5 1/2".

A queen sized mattress is 60 x 80" with the standard overhang of 14", that makes it 86" x 94" - If she'll use it as a bedspread, bring it up to 108" to include the top 'overhang'. Sometimes quilts are made smaller than standard, since you don't tuck them in. Figure 72" x 84", since it doesn't come up to the head of the bed. With an even 6" square, you would need 168 squares, maybe you could figure up or down from there for either the 5 1/2 or 6 1/2" actual size.

Please tell me you're not doing this by hand? If you have a machine, does it have a heavy duty mode for when you put the stuffing inside. After you put a plain backing on it you put in the stuffing, line it up straight, and stitch through all layers, because if you don't, the first time it's washed, the stuffing will all ball up in one corner.

FGM
no, I'm not doing this by hand...... I'm not that brave. What I think I'm going to do is do a two inch boarder all the way around then making the squares that I’m making that the inside so to speak. Then in the corners making a four patch. Thanks for the help

Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I used to work in a fabric store, and most of our customers were in their 30s and 40s. I'm no good at any sewing myself, but I like making yarn dolls and crocheting.

Out of curiousity, Bulldog, what kind of quilt is it? If it's a "crazy" quilt, remnant bins are sometimes good ways to get fabric cheap. (It's good fabric, just stuff that's leftover after cutting fabric from the bolts for customers.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #28
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I wasn't going to say something rude...at least...I don't it's rude.

I was just going to say I hate it when women get to their 30s (espc if they're married and/or moms) and they feel like they have to resign to a life of quilting and driving minivans. You're still a young chick with lots of spring in your step. So forget the quilting and take up something a little more fitting to your age...like skiing or rock climbing.

I am 19 and I am planning on using one of my mother's knitting machines pretty soon. Also, I've done weaving, stitching, I've made shoes, clothes for my playmobil animals (I have to show you the donkey with the skirt, top and sombrero one time. Or the giraffes with the headcloth. Or the horse with the beard.) (and some tents) (this was some years ago), and even made jewelry and my costume (this last with the help of my mother).

I haven't yet quilted, though my mother does. I'd just have to ask her about it, and I could get started.

Also, I know how to make felt with needles.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #29
Creepy Father Figure

Go gettum Jaz!

Umm... I ironed a patch on to my work pants. No wait that was my wife
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #30
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I can't do any form of needlework. Mainly because I'm absolutely inept at anything that requires a degree of physical dexterity...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #31
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Lacey: That's why I crochet. If you screw up, you only lose one loop at a time.

I've tried knitting a few times, and... well, it always tended to get kind of messy. All those little loops, just waiting to fall off your needles...

Peace & Luv, Liz.

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #32
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I used to work in a fabric store, and most of our customers were in their 30s and 40s. I'm no good at any sewing myself, but I like making yarn dolls and crocheting.

Out of curiousity, Bulldog, what kind of quilt is it? If it's a "crazy" quilt, remnant bins are sometimes good ways to get fabric cheap. (It's good fabric, just stuff that's leftover after cutting fabric from the bolts for customers.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

well one piece of the fabric started out to a remnant but once I looked closer at it I thought that I could use it in a quilt. I do shop the remnant bin just to see what they have. I got a 1/2 yard of sport fabric and made a friend of mine a pillow for her son. The pattern that I am making is the Rail Fence Pattern I think that is the correct name but here is a link. http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:ezEYSyjt7KYJ:www.quiltindex.com/Weaving_Spring.asp+%22rail+fence%22pattern&hl=en&g l=us&ct=clnk&cd=30

mine will not be that loud in colors, mine is done in pinks and mauve. I will take a picture once it is done and show you.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 PM   #33
Lazy Bee

I have to confess that I'm lousy at sewing and all kind of needlework. I'm just not thorough enough. I can manage straight seams, like in curtains and I used to knit sweaters a lot when I was in my teens.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #34
merely human

I hated sewing myself. Absolutely hated it. But I had to do it, comes with the territory of being a fashion designer. I preferred draping on the dress form, more expressive. I also hated pattern drafting but again, comes with the territory. Thank god we had the very best seamstresses at the studio to make up all the garments.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I had been better trained (should've taken sewing courses but the art school didn't offer them), but I learned the fundamentals, and learned even more once I worked in the industry. It's a very complex, precise science.

Now knitting, on the other hand, was exquisite. Once you get the hang of it, it's practically therapeutic. You can knit yourself a sweater while chilling out to Mozart, or watching National Geographics on TV, or even whilling kicking it with a friend at cafe. Before you know it you'll have a something awesome to wear for next time you meet your friend.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #35
Super Moderator

I'm a crocheter myself. My mom is an awesome knitter. For some reason, I have a hard time holding the needles and doing the stitches in kitting. I know with practice, I'd get better, just haven't had the time or inclination at the moment to do it lately.

My mom used to knit us clothes for our Barbie dolls using the size 1 kneedles.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #36
Second Degree Black Belt

I can’t crochet or knit I have tried to learn several times but I just can’t get the hang of it . I can do easy stuff like stamped cross stitch, and embording….. but that is about the extent of my abilities.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #37
Roar?

I'm 28 and I'm also sewing a quilt right now. Mine has huge squares (16" x 16") and they're all made of hilariously ugly fabric like half naked space barbarellas. I'll post a picture when I'm done. I just picked up some deep turquoise backing fabric and I have to pre-wash that with colour fastener before I start putting everything together. My quilt top's done, thank God. Cutting out squares is a pain in the arse, which is why my squares are so gigantic.

I've been knitting for years, most of my girl friends knit as well. It has become pretty hip for young women to knit, especially in my indie-nerd circle. We all knit cool stuff, no grandma or frumpyish clothes allowed. One of my friends knits at hip hop shows. I find that hilarious.

I actually moved to this apartment because my favourite knitting store is across the road. Heh.

I want to take textile design and crafting at art school eventually. I love making things with my hands and I really love sewing. I'm still a bit crap at it, but it's very satisfying to sew and I love scouring eBay for neat fabric.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #38
Friendly Server Admin

By the way... you can use polyester fleece for the backing pretty easily and gain a lot of bonus softness and warmness, and it lets you use less actual batting so you can have a thinner total quilt.

(Yes, I have made a quilt in the past.. I sleep under it most nights )
Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
merely human

Wow. You're domesticated, tabs?

(Damn, why are all the cute domesticated ones who know how to make quilts straight?)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #40
Creepy Father Figure

Bend them Trep Bend them!!