You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A quilting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Second Degree Black Belt

Default A quilting question.

Can anyone help me...... my brain is a pile of mush.

Ok, all you math whizzes can you help me?

I am making my first quilt. I am trying to make a Queen size quilt. A standard queen mattress is 84 X 92. My square size is 6.5 X 6.5. I have 70 squares total. Do I have enough squares to make a queen size quilt?

any help would be great !

Thanks

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

no
6.5*6.5*70=2957.5 square inches
84*92=7728 square inches and youll want some overhang
I think
Old 09-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Psychonaut

In the US, a queen size matress measures 60" x 80". = 4800 square inches

at 6.5 x 6.5 you would need about 114 squares.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Banned User

How old are you bulldawg?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
How old are you bulldawg?

do I really need to answer that? if you must know I just turn 30 this year. I have never been good with numbers. If you are going to say something rude save it. I asked the question b/c I need the help. I am making a quilt for my mother for Christmas. This is the first time that I have attempted something like this. So as I said if you have something to contribute and can help me please help, but if you are going to say something rude keep it to yourself.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Banned User

I wasn't going to say something rude...at least...I don't it's rude.

I was just going to say I hate it when women get to their 30s (espc if they're married and/or moms) and they feel like they have to resign to a life of quilting and driving minivans. You're still a young chick with lots of spring in your step. So forget the quilting and take up something a little more fitting to your age...like skiing or rock climbing.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
merely human

Erm, sakturd, she has a brown belt in Karate with plans to graduate to a black belt. Don't f*** with this 30 year old.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
Banned User

Wait, which part was fucking with her again? The part where I told her she was too young for quilting or the part where I said she was better than doing old lady stuff?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
merely human

Actually I knew people back in art college who quilted, and they were in their early 20s. We call them fibre artists. Heh heh...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Banned User

Hahahah awesome story! Can I have some more please?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Creepy Father Figure

My neighbor puts on a quilting class like by weekly, she's old but the folks that show up aren't
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Banned User

You couldn't pay me to quilt.

Well actually...that's not true.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Things like knitting and crocheting (often thought of as old lady activities) are actually very popular with younger women. It's creative expression and is a nice balance in many women's professional lives.

Can we see pictures of some of the squares Bulldog? I'd like to see them.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by saksie
Hahahah awesome story! Can I have some more please?
Well, back in art school, there was a spray room where we students would take our dry media drawings to spray them with fixative so they won't smudge. The room was very well ventilated with loud fans to suck out the chemicals so we can't inhale them and get sick. There was an old ratty sofa in there.

The spray room had a reputation of being a sex room. Because of the loud fans you couldn't hear any sounds coming from there when the door was shut. There had been many instances of guards walking in on students having a romp, and we made it a habit to knock first and wait a minute before coming in to, you know, allow whoever were in there to collect themselves and save face.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Banned User

Meh. Not so much.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I wasn't going to say something rude...at least...I don't it's rude.

I was just going to say I hate it when women get to their 30s (espc if they're married and/or moms) and they feel like they have to resign to a life of quilting and driving minivans. You're still a young chick with lots of spring in your step. So forget the quilting and take up something a little more fitting to your age...like skiing or rock climbing.
Thank you for not being rude. Just b/c I turned 30 (and I’m a mom) I don’t drive a Mini Van – I wear Mini skirts though…… anyway back to the point. I am making the quilt for my mother b/c I have never done it and I wanted to try something new. That’s all. I do have a lot of spring in my step; I just thought that I would take a whirl at something just a little different. But again thank you for not being a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Erm, sakturd, she has a brown belt in Karate with plans to graduate to a black belt. Don't f*** with this 30 year old.
dude, I took my test on Saturday for my second strip on my brown belt (my Black Belt test is in November). I think I did well. Of course when it came to fighting, I did well I think. There is a girl in our class that is a second strip brown belt and she is kind’ a, well (not a fighter). But the teachers told her that she was going to have to get more aggressive to fight me b/c I was not going to stand there and let her hit me. Anyway to make a long story short, she was standing there and I told her “you better come after me or I will have you for lunch” and she kept pissing around so I charged at her. She turned her head and tried to duck my punch, but she was not quick enough and when I did my punch I had a handful of her hair in my hand (I really did not realize it at the time) and I ripped about 20 or 30 strands of hair out by the root. I felt kind of bad after I did it, but she is now the same rank as I am so she should have know better then try and duck and cover bit. But anyway it was a great test and I think that I did great.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
merely human

Did you imagine that that girl was saksie in drag?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #18

Hi, Buldog.

I'm afraid, you will need more squares for a queen-sized quilt. Using 210 sqaures, or 14 rows of 15 squares, will give you a quilt in the size of 91 by 97.5. Using 182 sqaures, or 13 rows of 14 sqaures, will give you a quilt in the size of 84.5 by 91.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
Creepy Father Figure

Oh and do not forget that you lose a percentage of the size when you sew the squares together
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Did you imagine that that girl was saksie in drag?
no, but I probably should have. But then again she might be in the hospital if I were to imagine saksie in her place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane_t
Hi, Buldog.

I'm afraid, you will need more squares for a queen-sized quilt. Using 210 sqaures, or 14 rows of 15 squares, will give you a quilt in the size of 91 by 97.5. Using 182 sqaures, or 13 rows of 14 sqaures, will give you a quilt in the size of 84.5 by 91.
Ok, thanks. I think what I am going to do since my mother –n –law told me how much fabric to buy, (that’s what I get for asking her)….. oh, sorry back to what I was going to do. I am going to take another color that complements everything and make a boarder around the quilt and use the squares that I already have and make that the center.

QUOTE=rlpw]Oh and do not forget that you lose a percentage of the size when you sew the squares together[/QUOTE]

Yea, I pre - wash my fabric so I don’t have to worry about that. But thanks for the reminder.

To everyone who helped me thanks so much.