You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Does anyone listen to Virgin Radio?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Does anyone listen to Virgin Radio?

So lately if I can get into the lab before the technicians and listen to what I want, I've been listening to Virgin Radio online. Specifically The Geoff Show. It's the right amount of inanity when I'm doing tedious lab procedures and they also play some different music than what they play here in America.

It was especially funny during 'Drunk or Stoned?' today when Drunk Jenny (who was also trying to iron whilst drunk) and Stoned Ali were tied 4 points a piece and they were going for the tiebreaker:
'Drunk Jenny, are you there?'
'Drunk Jenny?'
'Stoned Ali!! Just by your perseverence, you have won!!'
I just needed to share.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Banned User

Did somebody say virgins?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Virgin Radio is great. I'd listen to it much more if it was available on FM, but sadly it isn't outside of London! That's why it has such a variety of high-quality internet streaming options, of which the best is this (needs Winamp). Just so you're not struggling with horrible low-quality mush!

I don't think I've heard the Geoff Show, but I sometimes listen to the afternoon guy (late evening morning [I fail at time zones] guy for you, I guess ). He's very funny, and also sounds just like Alan Partridge in both voice and vernacular, a source of endless amusement in itself!

I salute your taste in radio, anyway.

Last edited by Huz; 08-10-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The afternoon guy would be morning for me. I'm 8 hours behind you guys. The Geoff show is from 10 pm to 1 am your time (2 pm to 5pm in Ca).

I'll have to try and listen earlier.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Huz
Kersal Massive

Yay! I edited just in the nick of time, so I only look "temporary insanity, didn't even need to be corrected, pffft" stupid rather than braindead stupid.

I also misread the Geoff page and saw the time as 10am-1pm - which I thought was a bit early for anyone to be drunk and/or stoned, apart from maybe my ex-flatmate, never mind two people willing to phone in.

How did you discover Virgin Radio, anyway?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Yay! I edited just in the nick of time, so I only look "temporary insanity, didn't even need to be corrected, pffft" stupid rather than braindead stupid.

I also misread the Geoff page and saw the time as 10am-1pm - which I thought was a bit early for anyone to be drunk and/or stoned, apart from maybe my ex-flatmate, never mind two people willing to phone in.

How did you discover Virgin Radio, anyway?
We have iTunes on the computer in the lab. I didn't have any CDs with me and I was perusing the iTunes radio list to see if there was anything interesting and saw it. I am a shameless UKophile and gravitate towards that kind of stuff.

re: drunk and stoned people - it was still a schoolnight. That's Friday night, Saturday night behavior. *tsk, tsk*
Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Did somebody say virgins?
Did someone say lab?

What's this lab you work at? Do you get to wear lab coats and eye goggles, and then mix chemicals to see what they do?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Did someone say lab?

What's this lab you work at? Do you get to wear lab coats and eye goggles, and then mix chemicals to see what they do?
I'm working on my PhD research. The lab I'm in does respiratory research but one of my exciting projects today was isolating RNA. I wear a lab coat once in a while, though. I mix chemicals too to make buffers, etc. but not too much exciting happens (thankfully).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
Lovable rogue

I hate that Geoff guy, if i recall he used to be one half of "Pete and Geoff in the morning" and he irritated me to no end.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #10
Chris Barraclough

I like Virgin, mostly cos they play quality old tunes that I've forgotten about. Don't think I've ever listened to the Geoff show though.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 08-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
Psychonaut

Oooh I could try all the old virgin jokes again.

"I would listen but the station gets harder to find every year"

"I prefer a radio station with more experience"

Seriously though.

Nope I don't listen to it. Don't get it unless you listen online or in the London area
Old 08-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The pool of radio stations that I listen to is, I'm afraid, rather nerdy and "sad", and, unfortunately, Virgin Radio doesn't feature in the list.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien
Don't get it unless you listen online or in the London area
Don't forget about 1215kHz on medium-wave, man! Ideal for a music station! Nearly as good as Atlantic 252 (long-wave, non UK fans!).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm continually surprised that anybody bothers to use medium-wave nowadays. Aside from Radio 4 LW (cricket, people!) I only ever use FM. Or digital, of course.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Lovable rogue

I never listen to the wireless, in any form, I fail to see the appeal.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Cricket! Music! News!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Huz
Kersal Massive

Medium-wave is fine for speech - and if you're stuck with a small receiver or a car radio, generally sounds just as "good" as FM - but truly horrible for music. Virgin must be the only people who still use medium-wave for music, apart from the MW versions of BBC local stations (which exist on FM as well, in any case). I guess they think it's better than nothing though. People listened to Atlantic 252 after all.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:31 PM   #18
Huz
Kersal Massive

I've been really enjoying listening to Virgin Radio at work recently. I just have to hope they don't monitor my Internet bandwidth, because sucking up a 160k/sec stream for much of the day won't do me any favours...

Here's a cool thing I've discovered recently - they've tied their output to Last.FM, so you can peruse their playlist stats. The Killers are out in the lead (hardly surprising when you can hardly move without hearing tracks from their latest album), but the rest of the list contains various forms of awesomeness too.

Oh, and it's officially New Years Eve in the UK - they won't have any ads from 6pm until midnight later today, apparently. Good stuff!