You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I am a pathetic fool and a troll... :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default I am a pathetic fool and a troll... :(

This thread went to a weird, cruel place really swiftly. I hate when I do shit like that, but I do do it all too often. It is like a bad, self-destructive habit. :(
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

At least you were honest, which I tend to admire in people.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Psychonaut

PvP sucks so don't feel that bad.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Tactlessly understated

Still, I always gleefully do shit like this, and then feel nauseous afterwards.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Party On Dudes

but they didn't even burn you, if i was one of those comic geeks i would have at least used the 'batman vs spiderman' argument to clarify my point that you suck. what's wrong with these urban geeks anyways?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 07-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
but they didn't even burn you, if i was one of those comic geeks i would have at least used the 'batman vs spiderman' argument to clarify my point that you suck. what's wrong with these urban geeks anyways?
They tried to burn me... either way, I don't need to be burned to come to regret my actions.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

A troll would never go to such lengths to explain themselves and their views - nor would ever call themselves a troll and mourn it. 'nuff said.

I'm sick of trolling on boards about certain subjects, myself - e.g. "OMGWTF Gothador is so much better than this shit" on RavenBlack City communities... but your posts are not it. Vicious in your debate - but that's all right. That's not trolling. That may make you unpopular occasionally, but I'm the same way when I do have an opinion. It's honesty and passion. Occasionally, it's a boomerang that misses its mark...

Not to mention I generally retch when I see people who are just angry about elitism think it has any semblance at all with jealousy. Hogwash. Sour grapes? Well, look who's talking. I've never understood that sort of jabbing - dragging completely irrelevant points into a discussion as ammo to throw at the opposition.

Lastly... I think this could've been handled differently. But it's passion. Let's put it this way - fate, as a tool of duality, now owes you one.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 07-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Hmmm...
Kings, although I'm not familiar with any of the web comics mentioned in the link you posted, it sounded to me like you stated your opinion clearly and backed it up with examples. This type of honesty is rare, and it doesn't often win you a lot of popularity contests, particularly among such a seemingly sycophantic crowd as the other posters in that thread.
But such is the way of any art crowd from what I've seen. An artist gets a little recognition and becomes the flavor of the month and suddenly the fans come out of the woodwork and gush all over that artist...until the next flavor of the month comes along. Then the Johnny-come-lately fans disappear in a cloud of dust towards the next big thing. It happens. It's a bizarre cycle perpetrated by people who have no real taste or opinions of their own, and who must have their likes and dislikes dictated to them.
But among these crowds there is occasionally a person like yourself who is capable of forming your own opinions and has the cojones to express them and defend them when they're unpopular. People like you scare the crap out of mindless fans because you think for yourself! *gasp* That's something they can't or won't do because it makes them stand out and removes them from their comfort zone.
It all comes down to this: Fawning sycophants whose adoration is as sincere as a used car dealer's promises have no real value in the grand scheme of things. Ignore them.
My two cents on the subject. Others may disagree. I don't care.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Tactlessly understated

You're all too kind. You also developed immunity to my shit in less antagonistic circumstances. Plus, you use big words alot and them big words don't scare you. In any case I shouldn't have done it as a representative of the Seditious Industrial Complex. From now on , I'll let Dr. Cadaverous do all the PR.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #10
A Servicable Villain

Quote:
To tell you the truth I found his stuff interesting. I just dont like that he is being a jerk.
Heh, I liked that one. Kingsley, you know that skit in the Kentucky Fried Movie where a pasty-white guy announced as 'daredevil' walks up to a group of blacks and shouts 'NIGGERS!!'? That was kind of the effect here. Though you were more erudite about the thing. And the analogy is flawed on many levels.

To tell you the truth, the discussion irritated me to the core because of people's reaction to big words. I hate it when people who's vocabulary is obviously slim accuse everyone who uses better or more careful language than they do of being pedants and try to use big words they have (this is the obvious included quote) 'looked up in the dictionary' to seem really intelligent. Nooo, some people actually have a more intimite relationship with words than you, philistine.

I can't really say anything about the actual contents of the discussion. I don't read PvP because I can't be bothered with reading a whole lot of webcomics and the Eisners are something I don't follow closely because frankly, I don't give a rat about them. That said, the whole thing did spiral down with foreseeable inevitability. You may not have been a troll, but your wording was strong enough to polarise immediately the people that have even a smidgeon of love for PvP. Then again, nuance would have made your point absolutely pointless. Like I said; inevitability
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #11
Tactlessly understated

This is the man that I tried to take on in his own lair, where the little Kurtzophiles live. This is the grossest use of literature to justify a fart joke ever, and it's done without a shred of irony.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

If he feels the need to justify his use of adolescent humor to his critics, then he's not too proud of it himself.
Furthermore, the Canterbury Tales have already been written. I thought the point of any art was to create something new.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
If he feels the need to justify his use of adolescent humor to his critics, then he's not too proud of it himself.
I disagree. Mostly on grounds that I have absolutely no impression, from that strip, that he's trying to justify anything. You guys might think it's without a shred of irony - I don't read it as that. *shrug*

Kingz' has my support (and then some) - and I don't find that strip funny - but I still think it's a long shot from being a result of "feeling the need to justify his use of adolescent humour". It's his way of dealing with it, by lightening it up. Frankly, if I was going to "justify" anything, I would do it with something vastly, vastly more convincing. Because that, simply, isn't. Nor do I feel it's intended to be.

The strip doesn't seem to try to say: "I'm art, damnit!", if anything, it's saying, "Is it important that I'm [your definition of] art?" (and comes to the conclusion of "No")
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
Tactlessly understated

The strip takes a random instance of someone farting in a Chaucer story as an instant justification of fart jokes and all sophomoric humor. That blows my mind.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Feind der Anonymitaet!

I read it, thanks. And I happen to disagree.

Edit: Whoah. That thread has gone from bad to worse. *makes note not to read any future posts* Yeugh. You'd think people would back off after a while, but apparently, it's a sport.

Hm. Me thinks you've just become a target.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 07-25-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
This thread went to a weird, cruel place really swiftly. I hate when I do shit like that, but I do do it all too often. It is like a bad, self-destructive habit.
I've read this post and link over and over again and also some of your other posts in the Show yer art thread. This makes me wonder:
What's in it for you when you chose the words and expressions you did in the imagecomics thread? To me you sound really condecending, I understand the replies you got, and I interpret your above post that you're feeling some kind of regrets about it. I have a hard time to understand why anyone need to be honest/direct to the point of being rude.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I have a hard time to understand why anyone need to be honest/direct to the point of being rude.
Trust me, I don't understand it either. :(
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #18
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I have a hard time to understand why anyone need to be honest/direct to the point of being rude.
I do believe it simply is not a conscious decision.

Something debated out of passion rarely is pretty. Personally, I'd rather come across as rude every once in a while than to mask my true emotions.

I certainly don't not understand why the thread derailed, but I certainly don't think Kingz should be calling himself a troll. He could have handled it differently - but, he didn't. But he certainly wasn't trolling. Merciless in his debate - off-pissing, yes - but trolling? He apologised. And I feel that after that, most posts are just over the top kneejerk reactionism. I'm not saying anyone over there should love him all over again (heck no) - but what I am saying is that after a certain point, it was a mudslinging. Especially the posts since he posted that link to the point in time now. That's completely unnecessary.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 07-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #19
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Trust me, I don't understand it either.
Get some therapy.
j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkgothic
I do believe it simply is not a conscious decision.
Something debated out of passion rarely is pretty.
Theoretically, not directed at Kingsjester:
But a written debate is imo more conscious than a spoken. Words may pop out of your mouth, but writing them takes longer (for me anyway) and you also have to push the submit button. This gives you time to actually check what you wrote. I believe that a fairly polite contribution in a debate is listened to more than pie throwing or 'von-oben'-attitude.
Quote:
He apologised.
He did, and thus not deserve the replies thereafter. (just to clarify that I don't think anyone deserves shit after an apology)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I don't like PvP either, although I haven't been on any forums expressing any serious hate, I think it's perfectly natural and untroll-like to express hate. Honda tells me hate can be good, and No Doubt, The Offspring, NOFX. Rage is good when it's on the page, not when it's being used to bash someone's skull in.