You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Innovation, anyone?

View Poll Results: Does anyone around here like any type of innovation?
Yes. 3 23.08%
No. 2 15.38%
Maybe. -Ish. 1 7.69%
Sure, just so long as they don't have to do it themselves. Creativity is SO annoying. 0 0%
Ummmm..... 2 15.38%
Oh, leave us alone already. 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default Innovation, anyone?

Just curious.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Is this a ridiculously unsubtle comment on the fact that we haven't filled a certain other post with ideas?

Has it occurred to you that we might either be a) too busy to write long posts in the thread, b) not have many innovative ideas to share (and have torn apart) or c) want to keep innovative ideas to ourselves?

Innovation is important, yes. But I'm not about to sit down and write a dozen pointless (yet innovative) ideas down just for the sake of it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Not like them!

For the sake of creativity. Creativity is fun. Or am I the only one who thinks that?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Life and times of...

I have plenty of innovation.

Just no way to make them happen.

So there.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Not like them!

Oh, and as for the lack of subtlety- yeah, I don't do subtlety. I'd like to for once be given a straight answer, instead of a lot of people who just seem to hide when creativity (which I was certain would be fun for everyone) is involved.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Life and times of...

So, I don't exactly get what you're trying to achieve with this thread, if you actually are trying to achieve something...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Making polls about innovation is SO not innovative.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Making polls about innovation is SO not innovative.
Very true. As long as it serves its purpose, I don't see how this matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
So, I don't exactly get what you're trying to achieve with this thread, if you actually are trying to achieve something...
Every so often, I come up with a random, innovative idea. This is not the sort of thing that's going to go anywhere, because I'm not in the business of making games. And even if I were in the business, these ideas usually have no value except in the entertainment you get out of thinking about them, because most innovation is not all that hard to come by and not all that useful. (If it is some important innovation which would lead somewhere, then none of this matters since it obviously should be conveyed to as many people as possible whether or not there is any appropriate outlet for it.) Anyway, I like to share these ideas, because that's what creativity is for- putting it out there and seeing how people react.

And one day, it occurred to me that there needs to be a persistent place where people like me can put ideas like that, for people to see it and react to it. The other selfish side of this is that I'd love to hear other ideas, from other people with differing perspectives, which could inspire me to come up with new ideas of my own. So I started a thread to serve this purpose. But overall, I saw this not so much a personal act as a community service, because this is a community of people who are as passionate about games as I am, and much more passionate when it comes to adventure games. Surely these people have such creative ideas, just as I do. And then they'll need an outlet for them, same as I do. And if they don't, they can strain a little to come up with one- it's always a good idea to exercise the creative part of the brain, plus it is very satisfying when others comment and build on what you've said.

Well, that's what I thought, anyway. Now I don't know what to think. See, very very soon after I started the thread, it died. And from my perspective this was not the sort of one-shot idea that is meant to die down- it was the sort of progressive innovation which serves a useful purpose. So I am left disappointed and bewildered. Hence the poll.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

So all you need to do is bump the thread once in a while. You seem to place these high expectations on people and when they don't deliver, you're left disappointed and then you get ticked at us.

Bump the thread once in a while and someone will see it and may reply. I get the most miserable in my life when I put have high expectations and they don't get met. Maybe I was the one being unrealistic.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Not like them!

I don't bump threads. It's a dishonest manipulation of the forum system. I don't need it to be at the top; I just need to know that people know it's a place to put ideas whenever they feel like it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Oh seriously. Dishonest manipulation? All the heck you are doing is putting it on the front page once in a while so people can see it. If they don't see it, they don't know it's there. Nothing dishonest about it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't bump threads. It's a dishonest manipulation of the forum system. I don't need it to be at the top; I just need to know that people know it's a place to put ideas whenever they feel like it.
What in hell are you talking about? Thread bumping is thread bumping, don't BS yourself. I do it occasionally, everyone does it occasionally.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
Not like them!

Well, after I've explained what the thread exists for in considerable detail, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to then write a post saying only "bump". I was trying to bump it more honestly, by coming up with a new idea each time, but this is a subversion of the original concept- I didn't want to be forced into doing anything!

Am I forcing you? Hm. Well, I guess if you have no problem with bumps...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mory
I was trying to bump it more honestly...
Honest bumping? LOL!! That's a new one. I suppose it's better than dishonest bumping.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #15
merely human

Anyway, your topic is very vague. Innovation in what? And for what purpose and who benefits and why? And yeah, you're a brat for starting this thread because you feel you didn't get satisfactory enough responses in that OTHER innovation thread.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #16
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Honest bumping? LOL!! That's a new one. I suppose it's better than dishonest bumping.
What's so funny? The order you see the threads in is linked to when the last post was written. If you write a post which doesn't contain anything in it, solely to manipulate the order, that strikes me as a bit dishonest.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Anyway, your topic is very vague. Innovation in what? And for what purpose and who benefits and why? And yeah, you're a brat for starting this thread because you feel you didn't get satisfactory enough responses in that OTHER innovation thread.
This is not meant to overlap with the other thread- I created it because I feel guilty for "littering" the other thread with my bratty whining and needed to move it somewhere else. I was afraid that the more time I spent complaining, the more the thread would turn from a place for ideas into "that place we avoid because each new post is just more of Mory's rants". Insults are not appreciated, but I agree that I have not gotten enough satisfactory responses (not "satisfactory enough"- there were some very good ideas thrown around at first).

Edit: Oh, and vagueness. I didn't respond to that. I left it ambiguous because the more specific it is the less useful. I had to limit it to adventures only because of the structure of these forums.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Lazy Bee

Mory
I'll try to say something to explain my situation.
I've still got at least 50 adventure games to play before I start thinking about ideas and approaches that I miss in the adventure genre.
I think your first thread about innovation is a great topic. Try not to be so impatient. Not everyone spends the greater part of their day thinking about gaming you know.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I think what surprises me here is the perhaps naive assumption that everyone on the forums is going to attach the same sense of importance to this thread that you do. Now, that's not to say that you're wrong to attach a sense of importance to it - innovation is clearly a necessary thing within gaming as a whole - but I don't much care for the implication that I'm somehow doing wrong by not leaping to contribute to the thread with a whole load of ideas that you yourself have described as having "no value".

My suggestion would be to just post in the thread when you yourself feel like doing so. Given the number of ideas you appear to have, that will almost certainly bump the thing, and I'd be wary of confusing a lack of replies with a lack of interest in the thread as a whole. If you keep posting, I suspect that others will, after reading your posts, begin to take part. And, if they don't, then the thread just dies, and you can at least have the satisfaction of having done your part in something that you consider to be important .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #20
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
For the sake of creativity. Creativity is fun. Or am I the only one who thinks that?
Yes, creativity is fun. But AGs aren't everyone's choice of outlet for creativity. There's singing, playing a musical instrument, dance, poetry, painting, sculpture, interior design......

I could go on but you get the idea. You're enthusiastic about AG innovation. Good for you. My preference is for poetry (a small amount of which has appeared in these very forums) I can't recall seeing any of your poems around here. Would it be fair of me to accuse YOU of not liking creativity because of that?

I've applied my poetical skills obliquely in an adventure game (I helped rewrite some translated riddles in English) but that doesn't mean I want to spend all my time thinking up ideas for them. There are enough good AGs out there I haven't played and enough talented (and sometimes innovative) people working on new ones for me to not have to.

Just out of curiosity,have you tried to take any of the ideas you've had already and applied them to making a game? That better more creative Ag you wish for isn't going to write itself. If you've got the ideas then run with them. Until someone does that then those innovative ideas will always remain just so many words on a webpage.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree