You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Girls attempt real-life version of video game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Lovable rogue

Default Girls attempt real-life version of video game

This made me laugh, the article is here.

Quote:
Five teenage girls from Portage County face potential criminal charges after attempting to play a real-life version of Super Mario Bros.

The Portage County Hazardous Materials Unit and Bomb Detection Unit were called in to downtown Ravenna on Friday morning after seventeen suspicious packages -- boxes wrapped in gold wrapping paper with question marks spray painted on them -- had alarmed residents.

Boxes were found at the Immaculate Conception Church on West Main Street, the Portage County Courthouse, Deluxe Pastries, the corner of Cherry Way and Main Street, Reed Memorial Library, Ravenna High School and a residence at Sanford and Main streets.

Five girls -- age 16 and 17 -- claimed responsibility for making and placing the packages. The girls said they found an Internet site that included step-by-step instructions for creating replicas of blocks featured in the game.

The Ravenna Police Department will be working with the Portage County Prosecutor's Office regarding possible criminal charges as a result of the game.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Fire Dragon/Pisces

My sympathy for the girls. Hope they won't be sent to a forced labor camp or get institutionalized...
for such an innocent joke.

this brings in my mind the hottest summer day and longest moment I spent in deadly silence in the company of my cousin, 6 years ago. He bought a truckload of firewood and started to chop some up, perhaps for next day's campfire, when I walked out from our house (we were neighbors back then) and started to talk to him over the fence. He went on with his work when suddenly a blow didn't end with a "thump" but a "sweeeeooonnnngggg". He released the axe and we stared at the axe stuck in... an 80 mm armor piercing artillery shell neatly embedded in the tree root... It was badly corroded of course, but didn't take long to be identified as an artillery round, a leftover of the Soviet artillery barrage on Budapest (1945).
If the axe had struck an inch higher, we surely would have had a closed coffin burial service.

Last edited by Jolaes; 04-01-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Was it even a joke? I thought they were just setting up to play a game and some idiot calls the cops about it
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Explorer of the uncharted

I smell april fools
Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Elegantly copy+pasted

The story may be an April Fool's joke, but real-life Super Mario levels have been constructed before. MIT students once turned the "infinite corridor" in their main university building into level 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. as a "hack" (prank).
Old 04-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

http://www.yikes.com/~pengo/8bit/

Some engineering students used Post-It notes to create mario characters in windows, with each notepaper as 1 pixel from the original sprites
Old 04-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
merely human

Gotta love those nerds-at-large.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien