You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Happiness is a new car

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Where are my manners?
Congratulations on the new car, Colpet! Excellent choice!

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
In a smaller car with less torque, maximizing what you've got is important. Traditional American cars make so much torque that it's not really an issue, though.
True, the size of 'our' cars is pretty tiny when compared to those huge American things
Quote:
It can be fun for a while, but then it gets to be a chore. I've owned three cars with manuals, but their racy luster pales pretty fast when you have to cross several hills every day on the way to work.
I've only driven for three years (got it right away when I was 18) so for me it's still a lovely experience pretty much all the time, except when I'm stuck in traffic ofcourse.
Quote:
I think that's the case in the UK. Here, such things vary from state to state, and I've never heard of a state that differentiates between automatics and manuals on their driver's licenses.
Right, like the legal driving age varies from state to state, guess I heard wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah, In CA you're licensed for cars in general, and that's baout it (ignoring stuff like truck/bus licenses). A lot of people never actually *learn* to drive a manual transmission, though, so I guess that's kind of a restriction

Personally, I'm fine with an automatic. I want to get from place a to place b, and I don't care about the "driving experience" so much as I care about just getting there.
Having been used to a manual, I wouldn't dream of getting an automatic (though admittedly I *am* a bit of a car enthusiast ). The one rational argument that comes to mind though is a manual is safer in rough weather conditions (snow etc.) as you have more control over the power you transfer to the tires. But don't mind me, I'm loony when it comes to these matters
Old 02-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
True, the size of 'our' cars is pretty tiny when compared to those huge American things
I personally like really large American cars, but a lot of people don't. The two best-selling cars in the US are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, but the best-selling vehicle here is still the Ford F-150.
Of course, I harbor a secret desire to own a Mazda (MX-5) Miata, so nothing's carved in stone.

Quote:
Right, like the legal driving age varies from state to state, guess I heard wrong
Not necessarily. Something like that might be commonplace in other parts of the country, just not down here or in California.

Quote:
Having been used to a manual, I wouldn't dream of getting an automatic (though admittedly I *am* a bit of a car enthusiast ). The one rational argument that comes to mind though is a manual is safer in rough weather conditions (snow etc.) as you have more control over the power you transfer to the tires. But don't mind me, I'm loony when it comes to these matters
No need to apologize. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a fellow car nut on this forum. Be careful about getting me started talking cars, as I'll bore the socks off of anyone within earshot.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #24
Super Moderator

In drivers ed, I was trained on an automatic. After I got my license, my dad taught me how to drive a stick. I actually learned on a Maverick which has the stick shift on the column. I love it and prefer them. They are actually a tad better if you go downhill a lot (although they are a killer if you are in San Fran and need to start going up a hill at a stop light - nerve wracking!). When you go down, you pick up a lot of speed and you have more down gears to shift into to prevent using your brakes as much.

And...

Awwwww.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Scott - why not start a car thread? You and jjacob can't be the only people here who want to talk about them.

And the ignorant masses (me esp.) would learn something.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #26

Quote:
I personally like really large American cars, but a lot of people don't. The two best-selling cars in the US are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, but the best-selling vehicle here is still the Ford F-150. Of course, I harbor a secret desire to own a Mazda (MX-5) Miata, so nothing's carved in stone.
I have a soft spot for some of the larger (muscle) cars, but to be honest I loathe most of them, mainly due to clumsy/bulky looking design, and the fact most of them do like 10 miles/gallon without making up for it in horsepower or torque. The ones that do, however, I most likely love There's no way I'd ever buy one though, mainly because it's just not practical here, with fuel being like ten times more expensive as in the US, relatively small parking spaces and virtually no availability. One guy who lives on my block has one though, but it's a reaaaalllly ugly looking gold-ish old cadillac that takes up like two and a half parking spaces. I get the impression he wanted to revive the car, but never got around to it - the upholstery is non-existant (more foam than leather), it's full of scratches and rusty spots, the rims are so black they look like they're made of charcoal and the engine makes a hellish noise that usually wakes up the entire neighbourhood at night. He doesn't use it that often, so when he parks it everyone knows those two and a half spaces will be taken for weeks (sometimes months) at a time. For me that sort of killed the charm I once considered American cars to have. Well, that and the fact that the 'classics' usually go pretty fast in a straight line, but not at all in corners Who knows though, perhaps I might one day buy one of those crazy things and get all of it redone by one of those UK or European car shops that take out everything and replace it with modern state of the art parts The Mazda idea, I can't argue with that, awesome car, just like (but better than) the S2000 - Although I'll take your Miata, and raise you a Skyline Who wouldn't want to tune that to insanity and beyond
Quote:
Not necessarily. Something like that might be commonplace in other parts of the country, just not down here or in California.
Alright, though if I remember correctly now I think I got that from a movie - not the most reliable of sources.
Quote:
No need to apologize. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a fellow car nut on this forum. Be careful about getting me started talking cars, as I'll bore the socks off of anyone within earshot.
Same here Though I must add I'm quite fond of using a bike (as in bicycle) too, it's the most sensible mode of transportation in Amsterdam, and everything takes about twice as long by car. OT: I really hated it when 40 Year Old Virgin (the movie) made it sound like only children and crazy people use bicycles - that definately doesn't help with changing attitudes about 'greener' alternatives in the US (though I do realise the distances are far greater than over here). But that aside, let's talk cars Which have you owned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
In drivers ed, I was trained on an automatic. After I got my license, my dad taught me how to drive a stick. I actually learned on a Maverick which has the stick shift on the column. I love it and prefer them. They are actually a tad better if you go downhill a lot (although they are a killer if you are in San Fran and need to start going up a hill at a stop light - nerve wracking!). When you go down, you pick up a lot of speed and you have more down gears to shift into to prevent using your brakes as much.
That too, totally forgot to mention that. I think manuals last a lot longer with their brake discs/drums
Quote:
Scott - why not start a car thread? You and jjacob can't be the only people here who want to talk about them.

Great idea! Though I'll let him do it, me being lazy and all
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Bad Influence

I'm guessing some of the "classic musclecars" you refer to are Dodge Chargers, Chevrolet Chevelles, and Ford Torinos? Although the most sought-after versions have giant engines that make them nose-heavy, understeering road pigs, all of them were also available with smaller, lighter, more economical powerplants that made them much easier to live with in the real world away from the dragstrip. Sure, 440s, 454s, and 429s are great for bragging, but a 318, 307, or 302 will still go reasonably fast and wont break the bank doing so.

Cars I've owned:
1970 Fiat 850- Total crap, but really cute crap.
1970 Chevrolet Nova
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (a blue one)
1977 Toyota Corona (wagon)
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (a red one)
1973 Lincoln Mark IV
1986 Toyota Pickup
1968 Mercury Montego (convertible)
1971 Mercury Marquis
1969 Lincoln Continental
1972 Dodge Coronet (ex cop car)
1984 Nissan Maxima
1973 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1973 GMC Pickup (with a Cadillac engine)
1982 Chevrolet Citation
1978 Mercury Monarch
1978 Toyota Corolla (wagon)
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura
1974 Ford Gran Torino
1988 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (wagon)
1987 Buick Century
1986 Chevrolet Nova (a Toyota Corolla with a different grille)
I'm probably forgetting one or two as well.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Cars I've owned:
1970 Chevrolet Nova
1973 Lincoln Mark IV
1986 Toyota Pickup
1971 Mercury Marquis
1969 Lincoln Continental
1984 Nissan Maxima
1982 Chevrolet Citation
1978 Mercury Monarch
1974 Ford Gran Torino
1987 Buick Century
That's a lot of cars.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #29
Bad Influence

Quote:

Tomorrow, if that's okay with you.
Right now, it's past my bedtime.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #30
Banned User

I'm buying my first car soon. Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I'm buying my first car soon. Any suggestions?
What price range are you looking at? What will it be used for? Where will you be driving (city, mountains)? Any requirements (room for camping equipment or seating for six)? How long do you see yourself keeping the car?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #32
Banned User

Something cheap. Under $5000. Something with great MPG.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #33

Quote:
I'm guessing some of the "classic musclecars" you refer to are Dodge Chargers, Chevrolet Chevelles, and Ford Torinos? Although the most sought-after versions have giant engines that make them nose-heavy, understeering road pigs, all of them were also available with smaller, lighter, more economical powerplants that made them much easier to live with in the real world away from the dragstrip. Sure, 440s, 454s, and 429s are great for bragging, but a 318, 307, or 302 will still go reasonably fast and wont break the bank doing so.
Exactly, the cars that hang on a lot of children's bedroom walls, including mine when I was a kid Thanks for the info, might come in handy in case I ever decide to buy one (I'm serious! ).
Quote:
Cars I've owned:
1970 Chevrolet Nova
1973 Lincoln Mark IV
1986 Toyota Pickup
1971 Mercury Marquis
1969 Lincoln Continental
1984 Nissan Maxima
1982 Chevrolet Citation
1978 Mercury Monarch
1974 Ford Gran Torino
1987 Buick Century
That's a lot of cars! And I'm going to have to google most of them I'll do that later on though, when you post the car thread
Quote:
You could probably find a Toyota Yaris for that money (used ofcourse), it's a great little car or so I've heard, with great MPG, and Toyotas rarely have any problems whatsoever so you won't have some part breaking down every couple of months. Picture. There's also the VW Polo, very nice little car, an you'll find tons of those in the classifieds. And the smaller VW Lupo, which I personally find very cute. Or you could go for a Renault Clio, very good looking little car but might cost more in part replacement, even though it'll probably make up for it in joy I've heard good things about the Ford Ka, but it's probably the smallest of these cars, about the size of the Yaris, though, again, great mileage. Mitsubishi Colt is another decent car which won't break down quickly, same with Nissan Micra. Opel/Vauxhall Corsa is a pretty decent car, and I think it's built upon the VW Golf chassis though I'm not entirely sure about that. Seat Ibiza is a great looking little car as well, not sure about the mileage but it can't be bad. Ofcourse there are the Smart cars, but you either love them or hate them (in my case the latter), great mileage though. Skoda Fabia, but I don't know much about that one. Suzuki Alto, but IMO it's fugly, same with the Suzuki Ignis, a mini-mpv, and the Liana. The Subaru Justy is kind of cute. Personally I'd go for the VW Golf, but it probably does the least MPG, and it does have a reputation for having a lot of small fragile parts that break down easily. And ofcourse then there's my car, the Ford Focus, which is probably the most enjoyable car to drive, along with the Toyotas, but it does about 32 miles to the gallon, so it's not the most efficient of the lot. Still, I don't regret buying it for one second, I love that thing. It corners like a race car, frankly, except without the twitchiness ofcourse. Good luck!

edit: oh right, you live in the States (as opposed to the UK which I thought there for a minute). Don't know about the availability of these models then, perhaps someone else can give better advise about US cars, seeing as though there's a huge price difference between the continents

Last edited by jjacob; 02-26-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #34
Banned User

I think a lot of those cars aren't sold here. I've been wanting a focus forever! And here in the US, 32 is pretty damn good.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #35
Psychonaut

I drive a Ford Fiesta

Like this but in light blue.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #36

Quote:
I think a lot of those cars aren't sold here. I've been wanting a focus forever! And here in the US, 32 is pretty damn good.
Right, sorry 'bout that, was posting under the assumption you lived in the UK, don't know why, considering I read about where you're currently living on Wikipedia for christ's sake,... I blame the amount of caffeine in my blood

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Focus, drives a lot better than a Golf and looks sexier IMO. 32 MPG is my 'measly' 1.4 litre (1400cc) version though, think that's not available in the States, still, a 1.6 or 1.8 shouldn't have bad mileage, what with the Zetec (variable/dynamic valve timing or something like that) engine 'n all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I drive a Ford Fiesta

Like this but in light blue.
Nice I considered a Fiesta, but the Focus was just too sexy not to buy Mine's also blue.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #37
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I don't own a car myself, but when I steal my father's car I drive...

a Corsa.

Yes, feel free to laugh if you must (or if you actually take Top Gear as The True Word™), but it does what I need. It's small. It goes from A to B. It's fuel efficient. And it's very cheap to insure.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I don't own a car myself, but when I steal my father's car I drive...

a Corsa.

Yes, feel free to laugh if you must (or if you actually take Top Gear as The True Wordâ„¢), but it does what I need. It's small. It goes from A to B. It's fuel efficient. And it's very cheap to insure.
Bwhahahaha Just kidding, Top Gear is not the most reliable of sources when it comes to smaller and mid-level cars (though they do test top-level and racing cars with astronomical committment ). The new corsa looks very attractive by the by.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:04 AM   #39
Easily amused

I've always driven a manual shift Honda, actually the Element is the 6th Honda I've owned (our other car is a 98CRV). We live in a rural area, small towns, country roads and major highways to the bigger cities. The deciding factor for me would be city driving vs. the terrain. If I lived in Toronto, I wouldn't have a shift - too hard on the clutch foot in stop and go traffic.

One place I saw a lot of Elements was when I went to San Fransisco a few years ago. They were relatively common. Given the amazing steepness of the streets there, I would think most were automatic.

Quote:
Honda will be releasing the Fit in N.A. this year. It will compete against the Echo and the Focus. It's smaller (and cuter) than the Civic. Not sure how much it is, though.

Last edited by colpet; 02-26-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Honda will be releasing the Fit in N.A. this year. It will compete against the Echo and the Focus. It's smaller (and cuter) than the Civic. Not sure how much it is, though.
Honda's are very reliable, like nearly all things Japanese, well, cars anyway
I think the Fit is the same car as the Honda Jazz though, and is already available in the US and Europe (it's called Fit in the Far East I think). The 2005 model starts at 14,000 euros though, but it looks very nice and got some awards.