You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Quicktime without iTunes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Quicktime without iTunes

Help me! I need quicktime without iTunes!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
SamNMax

Why?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #3

Perhaps you can find an older version somewhere (though doesn't quicktime always whine about needing the newest version?), but otherwise you're out of luck. Why do you need it?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Banned User

To watch quicktime movies.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Club a seal or two

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Banned User

You the man now dog.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
To watch quicktime movies.
Oh.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Translate Me

Even better is Quicktime Alternative. Plays any Quicktime file just fine, lets you do fullscreen on it without having to shell out for Quicktime Pro, and doesn't insert QTTASK.EXE into your startup files everytime it runs (unlike Apple's Quicktime).

Last edited by nikoniko; 02-08-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
Even better is Quicktime Alternative. Plays any Quicktime file just fine, lets you do fullscreen on it without having to shell out for Quicktime Pro, and doesn't insert QTTASK.EXE into your startup files everytime it runs (unlike Apple's Quicktime).
Yeah I had that, and it worked..for a while...then it stopped working.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Translate Me

Hmm... strange. Well, if you haven't upgraded to a Quicktime 7 compatible version recently, then a lot of stuff from the last few months won't play. The version I linked to above was updated a few weeks ago, so I'd recommend grabbing that one if you feel like giving it another try. Or if you don't mind Apple aggressively trying to insert and reinsert useless software into your startup sequence every time Quicktime loads, then by all means enjoy their product.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #11

A little regedit should fix that All kinds of software do that, namely Nero, Realplayer, iTunes (grrr), I just remove them once in a while. I tried QT Alternative, but it stopped working properly (even latest version) so I got rid of it.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
A little regedit should fix that
Nope, because it automatically adds it back every single time you play a Quicktime movie, unless you take even more dramatic measures. Deleting QTTASK.EXE from your drive doesn't even stop it - the next time you play a movie, the Quicktime software tries to connect to Apple and redownload the file if you do. Deleting the file and also blocking the outgoing connection through a firewall does the trick. As does using any sort of good utility which intercepts registry startup changes, such as the SpyBot TeaTimer.

Quote:
All kinds of software do that, namely Nero, Realplayer, iTunes (grrr), I just remove them once in a while.
Before I started using a utility to intercept changes to my startup and allow me to approve or block them, I used to go through after any new installation and see if new crap I didn't want got added. Msconfig is usually sufficient, although Hijackthis is handy too. I try to run a lean system, so I don't like having all that junk wasting system resources.

Quote:
I tried QT Alternative, but it stopped working properly (even latest version) so I got rid of it.
How bizarre. Wonder what's up with that. I know that QT Alt and Quicktime do not coexist peacefully, so if your iTunes has done an update since installing QT Alt, it probably overwrote some of Alt's files since they masquerade under the same filenames Apple expects Quicktime to be using. Turning off iTunes, including shutting down any iTunes background services and qttask.exe, then doing a reinstall of QT Alt would probably fix this if that's the case. But if you're happy with Apple's Quicktime, there's no point to wasting your time on something else.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
Nope, because it automatically adds it back every single time you play a Quicktime movie, unless you take even more dramatic measures. Deleting QTTASK.EXE from your drive doesn't even stop it - the next time you play a movie, the Quicktime software tries to connect to Apple and redownload the file if you do. Deleting the file and also blocking the outgoing connection through a firewall does the trick. As does using any sort of good utility which intercepts registry startup changes, such as the SpyBot TeaTimer.
Thanks for the advise, I downloaded Spybot S&D, will that suffice? (donateware r0x btw)
Quote:
Before I started using a utility to intercept changes to my startup and allow me to approve or block them, I used to go through after any new installation and see if new crap I didn't want got added. Msconfig is usually sufficient, although Hijackthis is handy too. I try to run a lean system, so I don't like having all that junk wasting system resources.
Same here, when I was young I used to download literally dozens of utilities every month, with the result of having to format my drives several times a year due to a totally messed up windows/master boot record. Now I install only essentials and have firewall/antivirus/anti-adware programs running all the time, so I don't have to go through that again.
Quote:
How bizarre. Wonder what's up with that. I know that QT Alt and Quicktime do not coexist peacefully, so if your iTunes has done an update since installing QT Alt, it probably overwrote some of Alt's files since they masquerade under the same filenames Apple expects Quicktime to be using. Turning off iTunes, including shutting down any iTunes background services and qttask.exe, then doing a reinstall of QT Alt would probably fix this if that's the case. But if you're happy with Apple's Quicktime, there's no point to wasting your time on something else.
Unfortunately I need iTunes for my iPod, so I guess that's where QT Alt got messed up. I'm not exactly thrilled to have QT installed on my system, mainly because I get to view only every other QT movies, most just give me a black screen with sound, but it seems I have little choice, oh well.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

For me the latest quicktime acts up, on sites such as YTMND (my chief reason for even needing it....heh) it skips and pops and refuses to repeat the sound unless I wait 2 minutes. Finally I just got fed up and downloaded an old stand-alone from this place:

http://www.oldversion.com/

Now it works like it did before.