You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A holiday in Britain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Not unless you're passing Oxford, if this is in February.

Which is probably extremely unlikely .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Not unless you're passing Oxford, if this is in February.

Which is probably extremely unlikely .
How far is it from Oxford to Manchester? Given how small the UK is, I can't imagine more than a couple of hours. Piece of cake here in the US.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #23
Chris Barraclough

It's 160 miles, although if you're using our fantastic train system it can take bloody ages to get from one place to another. 3 1/2 hours by car according to google maps.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 AM   #24
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
It's 160 miles, although if you're using our fantastic train system it can take bloody ages to get from one place to another. 3 1/2 hours by car according to google maps.
True. I could see myself spending a good 5 hours waiting for and on a train . Mind you, London is allegedly only an hour away by bus...

Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #25
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
True. I could see myself spending a good 5 hours waiting for and on a train . Mind you, London is allegedly only an hour away by bus...
Ahhh, but the point you're forgetting is that buses are the spawn of satan. Evil, evil, bad!

I'm not a fan of public transport at the moment

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 AM   #26
Psychonaut

Quote:
Ahhh, but the point you're forgetting is that buses are the spawn of satan. Evil, evil, bad!

I thought that was Peacocks
Old 12-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #27
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I thought that was Peacocks
Peacocks and buses are both the devil's work. Hell is overrun by peacocks travelling about on buses in fact.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #28
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Peacocks and buses are both the devil's work. Hell is overrun by peacocks travelling about on buses in fact.
Oh, you'd love it in Birmingham then. Here in the buckle of the Bible Belt, we know the devil's work when we see it and have no truck whatsoever with it. We have buses that trundle around day and night, impeding traffic flow and spewing noxious fumes redolent of brimstone, but they're almost always empty.
Our peacocks are kept tightly controlled within the confines of the Birmingham Zoo, so that they can't spread their evil amongst the populace at large.
Of course free thought and dissenting opinions aren't much tolerated either, but it's kind of a trade-off.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #29
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Oh, you'd love it in Birmingham then. Here in the buckle of the Bible Belt, we know the devil's work when we see it and have no truck whatsoever with it. We have buses that trundle around day and night, impeding traffic flow and spewing noxious fumes redolent of brimstone, but they're almost always empty.
Our peacocks are kept tightly controlled within the confines of the Birmingham Zoo, so that they can't spread their evil amongst the populace at large.
Of course free thought and dissenting opinions aren't much tolerated either, but it's kind of a trade-off.
They'll escape man, peacocks are crafty ****ers. Actually, I'm updating my version of hell to being stuck on a bus sat next to a peacock, with James Blunt music blasting out of his MP3 player.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #30
Bad Influence

Quote:
They'll escape man, peacocks are crafty ****ers. Actually, I'm updating my version of hell to being stuck on a bus sat next to a peacock, with James Blunt music blasting out of his MP3 player.
Hmmm...
I'm with you on the bus thing, ambivalent about peacocks, and in complete agreement about James Blunt. A former Captain in the British Army who sings that high just ain't natural.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #31
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
How far is it from Oxford to Manchester? Given how small the UK is, I can't imagine more than a couple of hours. Piece of cake here in the US.
Typical, bloody Romans and Americans with their straight roads. We'll have none of it here, thank you very much.

Last edited by Aj_; 12-20-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #32
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Typical, bloody Romans and Americans with their straight roads. We'll have none of it here, thank you very much.
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! *snort*
Yes, we're lazy and insidious that way.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Typical, bloody Romans and Americans with their straight roads. We'll have non of it here, thank you very much.
You've not driven Hwy 1 here in California!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #34
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
And you don't know twisty roads unless you've driven in Europe. Fact .

Old 12-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
And you don't know twisty roads unless you've driven in Europe. Fact .
Do we have to have a smackdown on who's got the twistiest roads? We have our fair share here in America.

*sticks tongue out at Rob* Boogerhead.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #36
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Ooh, I have! Actually, I was in the back seat. And I was asleep. But it counts.

And I concur with Rob and AJ, you lot have got it easy. No frigging roundabouts in the US either, we've got some real sods over here, especially those ones that are 3 roundabouts in one.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #37
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Twisted roads are essential for the british culture. No, really. I'm certain that it contributes greatly to the typical british cynicism that I love so much.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 12-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #38
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
And I concur with Rob and AJ, you lot have got it easy. No frigging roundabouts in the US either, we've got some real sods over here, especially those ones that are 3 roundabouts in one.
No roundabouts ? Are you saying that these people have never even learnt to drive properly?!

Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
No roundabouts ? Are you saying that these people have never even learnt to drive properly?!
Bah. We have a few here in Davis*. *sticks tongue out again*

http://www.city.davis.ca.us/pw/traffic/roundabouts.cfm

*OK, granted they aren't as busy as yours are but at least we try...
Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #40
Bad Influence

Quote:
Ooh, I have! Actually, I was in the back seat. And I was asleep. But it counts.
Uh-huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruksie
Not entirely true. There are two roundabouts in the US that I know of...maybe more.
Of course, our roundabouts run widdershins (counter-clockwise), and are therefore possibly devil-related.

Share the love.

<3