You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Peter Jackson's KING KONG: The Verdict

View Poll Results: So, which version of King Kong is really King?
The 1933 version! It's a classic, the stop motion animation had charm, and it wasn't too long... 5 13.16%
The 1976 version! It didn't have lame dinosaurs, and I like the "man in a furry suit" look... 2 5.26%
The 2005 version! Kong finally seems real, and the bond between Ann and the ape is richer here... 21 55.26%
Kong who? Who cares about any of these?! Godzilla is King of the Monsters! 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM   #101
Epinionated.

The effects were great?

On Kong, sure, and the invisible effects were awesome (end sequence, 1920's New York) but the actual "show-stopper" effects minus Kong were terrible.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #102
Psychonaut

The Kong Effects were not that great.

Only got two hairs on his head.

DOOOOOHHHHH!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #103
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The effects were great?

On Kong, sure, and the invisible effects were awesome (end sequence, 1920's New York) but the actual "show-stopper" effects minus Kong were terrible.
I agree that you saw the composition between the live-action and the CG really well, but the fact that the camerawork were really excellent (being possible foremost because most of it was in CG) made me far more impressed over what was happening on screen then I've been over most past movies that have tried the same thing. I almost think Spielberg has met his match for now. Jurassic Park and E.T. (and in some cases even Indiana Jones) have been surpassed by this movie in many aspects IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #104
Epinionated.

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you on the Spielberg part. The tone and themes of this movie were a mess - it was a rollercoaster ride disguised as an art museum filled with fakes of varying quality.

The first Indy was at least strong structurally, the right length, and had very solid characterisation in comparasion to this, relying firmly on a tight script and great dialogue. I can barely remember the characters or their lines in Kong, and if anything, it shows the main problem at the moment - good Hollywood pictures are so few and far between now that Kong is being passed off as a masterpiece purely on "feel". The Mummy also had the same feel, but was a tighter movie and at least had the guts to pass itself off for what it was, and nothing more! Kong played too many cards without living up to any one of them. If it had stuck to the pacing and atmosphere of the start (up until the boat leaves) and the glamour of the finale, it could've been a much better film.

The compositing WAS bad, but there was nothing in the design nor the effects other than Kong himself (aside from the backgrounds, even if many suffered the same model scale issues as LOTR) that truly stood out, nothing in the story, script or characterisation that made it stand head and shoulders above past glories in any way whatsoever. I firmly believe this film is destined to eventually be put down as the overhyped and bloated mess it is, strong in parts but overall thematically weak and without the effects to truly coast it along as an SFX masterpiece.

If it was truly merely a rollercoaster film, then how come it tried so hard to connect on horror and dramatic levels? What about the endlessly bad editing and jerky slow-motion? The scenes which would flit from one to another without showing any passing of time?

I'm sorry, but to me this film is a disappointment, and I believe I've back up that disappointment thoroughly.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 AM   #105
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I finally got to watch the original with my friends yesterday *night*.

It was a great movie and the fight scene with the T-rex or V-rex was wonderfully done. There were a lot less dramatic moments in the original movie, they kind of always went straight to the point and didn't tell any backstories unlike in the PJ version.

That's what I loved about the new movie, even though you guys have said that PJ did too much story building in his movie. The original leaves room for imagination when they seem to skip some scenes quite fast. Also in the original, Kong was just a beast that killed everything except Ann, he even ate several humans. I think PJ successfully made Kong more than just a beast.

Well anyways, both movies are really good and I still can't decide which is better, there were a lot of scenes that were nicely done in the new one that were exactly like in the original movie.

My friend said that PJ has said that he hates the 70's movie, but my friend said that PJ has taken a lot of stuff from the 70's movie too. Like the part where Ann falls in love with Kong. There wasn't any love in the original between the two.

I'm going to the 70's Kong now, because it's apparently on tv today, starting in a few hours.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #106
Epinionated.

Say what you want about the 70's movie, at least Kong didn't look like a big, slightly scarred silverback gorilla.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:19 AM   #107
The Reggienator

Ohh yes, I didn't get to see the 70's Kong...

It was aired in the morning, and I was sleeping then, when I posted that earlier message, the movie was already been on for too long for me to jump in and start watching it.

Damn New Year hangover.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #108
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I finally got to watch the original with my friends yesterday *night*.

It was a great movie and the fight scene with the T-rex or V-rex was wonderfully done. There were a lot less dramatic moments in the original movie, they kind of always went straight to the point and didn't tell any backstories unlike in the PJ version.

That's what I loved about the new movie, even though you guys have said that PJ did too much story building in his movie.
Too much story building??? I haven't read the entire thread here so I have to say that I couldn't disagree more. That was the best part of the whole movie.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #109
Epinionated.

There was a story?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #110
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
There was a story?

You missed the first half of the movie and only saw the rest?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #111
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
You missed the first half of the movie and only saw the rest?
In my view, the problem with the first hour is that it attempts to develop characters who end up being irrelevant cardboard cutouts in hours 2 and 3 anyhow. There is some "story" in that sense, but is it necessary or effective? Not really. The original isn't a great film either, but it sets everything up in a much more reasonable amount of time and I cared about those characters just as much (which is to say...not much, but at least I didn't have to watch them for an hour before anything happened).
Old 01-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #112
Super Moderator

My Dad made the comment that he liked the 70's version better (I don't think he's seen the original) because it wasn't so gory. I think they could have kept some of the fights (but not as many) with the other beasts on the island, cut down on the gore and deaths and really concentrated on Kong's relationship with Ann and the movie would have had a better feel to it (in my opinion) and maybe even some of the humerous parts (that Squarsie thought were a bit incongruous) would have played better. It was also hard to tell how the other characters felt about Kong at the end (especially Driscoll). I guess I hoped he would have felt differently about him seeing how Ann felt.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #113
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Saw it this weekend. I liked it a lot. A big romping adventure movie. But, yes, it really was too long and would have benefitted enormously from more judicious editing. I liked Naomi Watts in the movie, and even though I love Adrian Brody, it must be tough playing second fiddle to a big ape for the whole movie.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #114
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
Saw it this weekend. I liked it a lot. A big romping adventure movie. But, yes, it really was too long and would have benefitted enormously from more judicious editing. I liked Naomi Watts in the movie, and even though I love Adrian Brody, it must be tough playing second fiddle to a big ape for the whole movie.
Heh, I like Brody too (especially in The Pianist), and I agree that he sort of felt tacked on compared to the big CG character. About the editing though, I wonder if there's a way they could edit out about 2/3 of that huge beak on Brody's face. At the very least the big kissing scene should have had Naomi Watts in the more visible position. My goodness...I felt bad for her...Brody's nose was causing her left cheek to cave in. His nose was probing the inside of her mouth through the very flesh of her face...
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #115
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
In my view, the problem with the first hour is that it attempts to develop characters who end up being irrelevant cardboard cutouts in hours 2 and 3 anyhow. There is some "story" in that sense, but is it necessary or effective? Not really. The original isn't a great film either, but it sets everything up in a much more reasonable amount of time and I cared about those characters just as much (which is to say...not much, but at least I didn't have to watch them for an hour before anything happened).
Yes, they were more or less (although not entirely) irrelevant cardboard cutouts for the rest of the movie. I still say that if they had shortened all the action- and thrill-scenes in hours 2 and 3 and put some more of the quality the movie actually had in the beginning it would have been much better. It's still good though IMO. But then again I'm a sucker for gory adventuremovies.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #116
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
About the editing though, I wonder if there's a way they could edit out about 2/3 of that huge beak on Brody's face. At the very least the big kissing scene should have had Naomi Watts in the more visible position. My goodness...I felt bad for her...Brody's nose was causing her left cheek to cave in. His nose was probing the inside of her mouth through the very flesh of her face...
Hee! You know, I was thinking that exactly. He goes in for the big kiss and I was hoping that they'd turn his nose away from the camera...but no, just a screen full of that big beak!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #117
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Ohh yes, I didn't get to see the 70's Kong...

It was aired in the morning, and I was sleeping then, when I posted that earlier message, the movie was already been on for too long for me to jump in and start watching it.

Damn New Year hangover.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I woke up to it and lay in my bed watching it. Although I was quite disappointed by the PJ Kong I felt the 70's version was even worse actually. A stupid story about an oil company and that movie never got me on the emotional level the PJ one did (not that it did it very well either). The original Kong I've never seen so I can't comment on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #118
The Reggienator

I'm going to see the 70's Kong soon, I'll just need to figure out first where I'm going to find it.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #119
merely human

Just watched it tonight. Gorgeous. The final scene on top of the Empire State was magnificently intimate.

I cried at the end. Who couldn't?

Am I the only GUY in here who isn't obsessed with all this special effects shit talk can actually be swayed by the EMOTIONAL WEIGHT of this movie? C'mon, you men, shed a damn tear here and there and dump the damn nerd talk for once!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #120
merely human

Oh. Shit.

I should NOT have googled Thomas Kretschmann, the actor who played the ship's captain. Goddammit, now I won't be able to sleep tonight. AAARRRRGHH!!!! God help me.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien