You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Racist humour

My friend from Serbia sent me this picture. Luckily, I didn't open the e-mail while at work. I could've gotten into a lot of trouble.

Once I finally opened it, the picture itself was kinda funny, but the bottom comment is pretty bad.

I don't know why my friend sent me this, since he's usually the most PC guy in my overseas group of friends.

Anyway, observe & discuss.

Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 12-06-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I don't find it funny at all. Just racist.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
OUATIJ Creator

Hmmm... Rather tasteless. If one only looks at the picture it could be seen as a statement about the failures of our education system. But then the comment at the bottom turns it into what amounts to a racist attack. Too bad... Because the A+ for writing like that wouldn't be too far from the truth in some schools in this country, and something needs to be done about that. We need to stop ruining our kids by trying to save their "self esteem".
Old 12-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

woah... That is tasteless. There are many other ways to address the failures of our education of African Americans (they have lousy schools with no funding, poverty cycle, living in violent environments, etc.) rather than mocking them with that.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Oh, man, that is so pathetic. On a very related note, I have recently realized that jokes are not funny. Especially those that Al Lowe sent around. I have unsubscribed from his list years ago, so I don't know if he is still doing it. They are vicious and fundamentally fascist, self-glorifying attempts at humor that fail becuase they are from the position of power. Humor from the perspective of the powerful over the underdog is never funny.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
woah... That is tasteless. There are many other ways to address the failures of our education of African Americans (they have lousy schools with no funding, poverty cycle, living in violent environments, etc.) rather than mocking them with that.
Melanie, I hope you realize that my comments weren't meant to imply anything else. That's why I said it's too bad the "joke" was such a tasteless attack. What I meant was that there are better ways to address the issue. I wasn't defending this piece. I think you know that, I'm just clarifying. When I said it was "rather tasteless" you came back with, "that is tasteless." As if I somehow didn't say enough. I meant the same thing.

At the same time, I don't think this problem is exclusive to African Americans. I would like to see white kids someday test as high as Asian kids, and what excuses can we make for white children vs. Asian children? Is it all those "lousy schools with no funding" and "violent environments"? I realize the discrepancy between Asian and white scores and those of African Americans is even larger, but I still don't think this culture of constantly excusing instead of motivating is a healthy or wise one.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 12-07-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
capsized.

This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo last century (not that there isn't some sick stuff goin' on these days, mind you), I wouldn't even feel embarrassed if I were black.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Melanie, I hope you realize that my comments weren't meant to imply anything else. That's why I said it's too bad the "joke" was such a tasteless attack. What I meant was that there are better ways to address the issue. I wasn't defending this piece. I think you know that, I'm just clarifying. When I said it was "rather tasteless" you came back with, "that is tasteless." As if I somehow didn't say enough. I meant the same thing.

At the same time, I don't think this problem is exclusive to African Americans. I would like to see white kids someday test as high as Asian kids, and what excuses can we make for white children vs. Asian children? Is it all those "lousy schools with no funding" and "violent environments"? I realize the discrepancy between Asian and white scores and those of African Americans is even larger, but I still don't think this culture of constantly excusing instead of motivating is a healthy or wise one.
I was saying the cartoon was tasteless. The whole issue is too complicated and my short post probably didn't help. You could write an entire book on this issue. My aunt is a teacher in a Catholic school in Rochester, MN (where the Mayo clinic is). She can count on one hand the number of parents who do not have an MD or PhD. Those kids kick some serious butt in terms of grades and test scores. The education problem hits kids across the board (regardless of race) and yes, giving every kid a good grade (whether or not they deserve it) won't help them. It's probably hard to go into some of these schools and tell these kids, education will take you places when they don't see much of a future for themselves.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
The education problem hits kids across the board (regardless of race) and yes, giving every kid a good grade (whether or not they deserve it) won't help them. It's probably hard to go into some of these schools and tell these kids, education will take you places when they don't see much of a future for themselves.
I agree completely. I think we need to find ways to motivate these children better. It starts with parents, but a lot of parents are horrible at their biggest job which I think is raising their children. Some of the brightest children let their talents go to waste because, as you basically said, they are too young to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
DAVE

Well at least in dumbness everyone's equal
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Humor from the perspective of the powerful over the underdog is never funny.
Don't you approach humor from a perspective of intellectual superiority yourself? Or is that just you being you?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #12
Headbanger

I think you can joke about racism, although this example wasn't funny. I admit it was rather tasteless too (or maybe that's the reason why it's not funny, at all).
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Schoolgirl From Hell

I'm lagging too bad to even see the picture, so I take it it's a really distasteful joke?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
Epinionated.

Sure is, sweets... fuggetaboudit.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz
Humor from the perspective of the powerful over the underdog is never funny.
Which is why I rarely ever laugh at your jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Don't you approach humor from a perspective of intellectual superiority yourself? Or is that just you being you?
Yeah. Both.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
SamNMax

Time to leave, Mares.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #17
Citizen of Bizarro World

stfu, n00b.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
SamNMax

No prob'm baws. I'ma pick ma cotton sho 'nuff.

Plantation owner.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ok, man. Did I say anything to indicate I was racist myself? If you're too sensitive, and can't see we're having an adult discussion, you don't have to participate. I mean...Damn!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
SamNMax

1) First of all, welcome to the forums. I don't believe I've ever given you a proper introduction.

2) Joke, bud.

3) "An adult discussion", huh?

Last edited by SamNMax; 12-07-2005 at 03:27 PM.