You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #45241
Life and times of...

^'s name reminds me of two awful bands (Pantera and Pandora) and especially one great song ( Candela by the Buena Vista Social Club)

Ay Panthera, Panthera, Panthera me quemo aé

Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #45242
Failed Birthday Elf

...gurgle.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #45243
Life and times of...

I just removed text formatting from nothing. Did I break the Internet?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #45244
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This iThreadâ„¢ should iDie!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #45245
Freeware Co-ordinator

Well you could always try providing some fascinating information to distract people while it passes away. How about HMRC guidance on beverages?

Definition of beverage

There is no definition of a beverage included in the law, but useful guidance was given by the tribunal in the case of Bioconcepts Ltd (V.11287).

The Bioconcepts case concerned a product called Biolight, which was marketed as a natural detoxifying and slimming food supplement. It is a brown liquid made of plant extracts, and is designed to be taken by sipping throughout the day in small quantities diluted with water to help weight loss, curb hunger pangs and detoxify the system. If drunk by the glassful, it would act as a violent laxative. The Department argued that the product was a drink; and, following the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) definition, this meant it was also a beverage; or alternatively, since it had to be diluted to be drunk, it was a product for the preparation of a beverage.

The tribunal accepted that Biolight contained enough nutritive value to be regarded as a liquid food, but it would not be consumed for pleasure. The OED definition of beverage as drink was not considered to mean all drinkable liquids, but rather those that are commonlyconsumed: those that are characteristically taken to increase bodily liquid levels, to slake thethirst, to fortify or to give pleasure. Biolight did not fit these criteria and therefore it was not a beverage, but was a zero-rated liquid food.

Customs and Excise adopted the definition given by the tribunal in this case as a workable general definition of a beverage and publicised it in Business Brief 2/94. The beverages test is in five parts:

* it must be a drinkable liquid that is commonly consumed; and it must be
* characteristically taken to increase bodily liquid levels; or
* taken to slake the thirst; or
* consumed to fortify; or
* consumed to give pleasure.

The principle of the test is based around the idea that a drinkable liquid is not automatically a beverage, but could be a liquid food that is not a beverage. Several more recent court hearings have considered the application of the beverages test and found that it is still a workable test to use when asked whether a drinkable food is a beverage.

* Alpro Ltd (V.19911): the trader produced a flavoured variety of soya milk, which HMRC considered to be a beverage. The tribunal decided that it was not a beverage, largely because it did not meet the beverage test. However, we disagree with one of the views of this tribunal that dairy milk is not a beverage, our view being supported by the later decision of the tribunal in the case of R Twinings (V.20230).
* Ocean Grown (V.20562): this case concerned the liability of a small bottle of wheatgrass juice. The Tribunal found in favour of the appellant in deciding that it did not meet the criteria of the beverages test.
* Unilever Bestfoods UK Ltd (V.20016): the tribunal considered a product called Vie Shots, which was a small concentrated dose of fruit and vegetable pulps. The tribunal decided that it was not a beverage because it did not meet the above test. Important factors were the size of the product and the fact that much of the water content was removed during the manufacturing process.
* The Kalron Foods ([2007] EWHC 695 (Ch)) case was heard by the High Court and sets a legal precedent on the subject of beverages. The case concerned the liability of freshly blended smoothies. In upholding the tribunal’s decision that it was a beverage and therefore standard rated, Mr Justice Warren acknowledged that the beverages test was still valid, be he did comment that: It is, however, important to see how thatmeaning was adopted and applied in the context of the facts of Bioconcepts tounderstand just why the liquid in that case was not a beverage. I would be surprised ifthe tribunal had thought that it was laying down an exhaustive definition of what abeverage is rather than listing common characteristics of a beverage not all of whichneeded to be present in any particular case. I do not consider that the tribunal can betaken to have ruled out other drinks not having any of those characteristics from beingconsidered a beverage.

Therefore, whilst the beverages test is relied upon as a guide to what is, or is not, a beverage, it is not considered to be a definitive or exhaustive test.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #45246
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Good stuff, that. Enough to make a man turn to drink, one could say.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #45247
tsa
Playing character

Love...
exciting and new...
Come aboard
we're expecting you!
The Love Boat
soon will be making another run.
The Love Boat
promises something for everyone.
It's a time for adventure
a time for a new romance.
Come on aboard it's LOVE!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #45248
Creepy Father Figure

Wow. I was suddenly transported to a boat In the past full of b rated tv stars
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #45249
Life and times of...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #45250
Failed Birthday Elf

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #45251
Life and times of...

I go eat!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #45252
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #45253
Creepy Father Figure

Snirfle
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #45254
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I'm genuinely surprised and shocked I actually really like Taylor Momsen and the Pretty Reckless.

I never bother to check out the new young stars - gone singers since I have a very low tolerance for quite many music genres and people who can't sing/have no uniqueness to their voice (my mom is a classical singer and a song teacher), but I thought I'd check out what her stick was, and I found she could actually sing, and quite well too. I did not expect that voice from that young, skinny girl..

Music video: Make me wanna die - Fair warning, she spends the music video stripping down

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #45255
Life and times of...

All I know of her is that doesn't seem to be the most intellectually gifted of all singers...

Singer-of-low-moral-fiber might be a good term. The problem of course being that any fans she might have will then take her as her role model and you have 14-year-old girls then thinking they want to be slutty too 'cause that's so cool and gets you what's most important in life: fame.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #45256
Failed Birthday Elf

Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #45257
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Muscle spindle sensitivity is maintained with α-γ coactivation.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #45258
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Ha ha ha!
I think my hubby would agree with you.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #45259
BSC, SSC

Alice
Don't give it awayyyyyy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #45260
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Gigantism is a result of high pre-pubertal growth hormone levels, and leads to surpassed growth potential but proportional limb growth.