You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Improbables

When I was a kid sci-fi was differentiated from fantasy by saying that sci-fantasy was a normal world where only one premise was changed to something improbable or impossible in our world. Let me give an example -

What would our lives be like if people could fly?

How would we live if we could also breathe underwater?

What would be different for us if we had tails?

What if we had another set of arms? Would one set be for strength and one for fine work, like writing, drawing, etc? Would we be able to walk on four appendages?

What would be different if there were three sexes, instead of two. What would the third one be like? Would they be asexual? bisexual? Would they be able to procreate?

Pick a topic or make up one like these and talk about what life would be like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to choose breathing underwater. People would have gills coming from the bottom side of their ribs in back, and larger chest cavities. Arms would have a webbed area connecting it to the body to help us to swim better, we might even have a dorsal fin for stabilizing us in water. Clothes would have to be different as well. Perhaps clothes might be optional, since coming in and out of water would make clothes a liability. Perhaps women would have pouches to carry their babies in while they swim. We would have more efficient underwater vehicles to carry us from place to place. Workplaces would be quite different - can't do paperwork underwater! Electrical appliances would be much different. Perhaps the underwater places would be like going back to nature for us now - quaint, rustic (or rusty), and without modern conveniences.

If clothing were to be optional, this would greatly change our social interactions. Would we still be mostly monogamous or would that kind of life lead us to shorter affairs. Would we live in communities or separate housing. How would it affect what we eat? Would we eat raw fish, or catch it and bring it up and cook it on land? Would we still farm, but farm underwater as well? Land ownership would be different as well, and that brings politics into it and especially country borders - would we fence underwater? Would we have pets and domesticated animals in the form or fish or other sea mammals?

Would this ability make things easier or harder for population growth and stability? What about communication - easier or harder? Would life be simpler or harder to live if we were to be amphibian?

Help me out here with my imaginary world... What do you think it would be like?

Lynsie
Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Okaayyy.......
Well. I thought Jazzie's posts were pretty weird, but I think you have come up tops with this one

My answer is going to be very short - I would love to have an extra pair of hands.
Do I really need to state the obvious reason for this?
One pair to play video games or eat food; and the other pair to, er........
Old 11-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Okaayyy.......
Well. I thought Jazzie's posts were pretty weird, but I think you have come up tops with this one

My answer is going to be very short - I would love to have an extra pair of hands.
Do I really need to state the obvious reason for this?
One pair to play video games or eat food; and the other pair to, er........
To drive with, right? LOL
Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
To drive with, right? LOL
Well, obviously!!!!

What else could I have meant

Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Chris Barraclough

Ahhh, and what if you had an extra set of hands and girls had 4 breasts....I know that's changing 2 things which is against the rules, but sod it...
Old 11-02-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Psychonaut

I have a great idea.

What would it be like if we all lived inside a virtual reality system and didn't know it.

There could be Agents who control the system and could change/bend reality to their own will making them nearly invulnerable.

Until one day a human learns the truth and gains the power to alter the "Reality" to make him super fast, super strong and can learn anything by uploading a programme. He would rise up and fight the agents in an futile attempt to free everyone from the hellhole nice lifestyle with all the mod cons to living on white porridge sludge, half naked in a cave with little electricity on a destroyed world Just because that is the real world.

I think this would make for a great movie so I better Patent the idea before someone steals it. (Only one movie of course anymore than that would just suck)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Ahhh, and what if you had an extra set of hands and girls had 4 breasts....I know that's changing 2 things which is against the rules, but sod it...
I like the way your mind works!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I like the way your mind works!
It's not his mind that's doing the thinking.

He's delegating thought to a junior member.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #9
Chris Barraclough

Hey, there's nothing junior about it!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
Psychonaut

3 sexes.

Hmm how would that work.

* One male, one female and the third sex. To reproduce the female plants egg in the third sex and the male then fertilises it and the 3rd sex carries baby to full term. Could bring up social interaction problems. Do they live as 3 or does the 3rd sex act as a baby factory and is farmed out to couples who want babies.

* 2 "Male" type and one female. The female egg requires 2 chemicals for fertilisation one each from each "male" sex. Whether this is required similtaniously or with a break in between would be up for debate.

* 2 "Female" sexes and one "Male". Not sure about this one. Maybe each "Female" can only produce either "male" or "female" offspring so depends on what you sex of baby you want who you do it with.

* Male, Female and an asexual 3rd sex. Where's the fun in that for no. 3.

I couldn't see a 3 part reproduction cycle working.

Another possibility to think about What about if Females Layed Eggs like birds?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Another possibility to think about What about if Females Layed Eggs like birds?

If it worked anything like birds, that would mean we would have cloacas.

Ew.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #12
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Everyone having cloacas might drastically change the male/female dichotomy in society, though.
Unless of course men and women had drastically different plumage as well.
At least we'd save money on bathing suits.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #13
Magic Wand Waver

Well, a third sex might care for the kids - they might be asexual, like drones or workers. Or maybe the third sex might be required for copulation to occur, or at least for fertilization. If necessary for just fertilization, then maybe there wouldn't be unwanted kids. Males and females could have sex but no kids unless the third sex was present. That might work. It would make for crowded beds though.

Lynsie
Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #14
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Well, a third sex might care for the kids - they might be asexual, like drones or workers. Or maybe the third sex might be required for copulation to occur, or at least for fertilization. If necessary for just fertilization, then maybe there wouldn't be unwanted kids. Males and females could have sex but no kids unless the third sex was present. That might work. It would make for crowded beds though.

Lynsie

Or maybe it would be like with mosses...

I think it was one male, one female, and one that actually disperses the seeds to grow a new plant.

...that would be WEIRD!

Actually I think that would be a bit like what you described last, Lynsie.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!