You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default Ghost stories

Mira's been freakin' CREEPING THE CRAP OUT OF ME with her scary asian myths. The following link must be read... I'll leave Mira to elaborate on any of the stories if she wants to...

http://history.sfogs.com/pon.htm

Meanwhile, I'll just leave you with the tale of East Anglian terror Black Shuck. I used to live in the Anglian part of Northamptonshire. As a kid I made sure not to stare too many black dogs in the face.

http://www.jardinepress.co.uk/books/Bshuck.html

edit - forgot part of the tale. During the English Civil War, in a hospital tent, one night Black Shuck lept through it. Every single soldier he lept over died. Not a dog you wanna pet.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
merely human

Once upon a time there was a ghost. And he lived happily ever after.

There. Where the hell's my cookie?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

He woke up. It was dark.

He reached for the box of matches, and it was put in his hand.

[A paraphrased version of the shortest ghost story ever told. Allegedly.]

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Schoolgirl From Hell

A bunch of guys tried to scare me earlier this evening, with one of them wearing this horrible mask and wielding a knife and got me to open the door.... they expected a scream. What they got was the "stare" from me, instead... So they all shuffled away... idiots!

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 10-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Epinionated.

You guys could learn alot from Mira.

You seriously don't know any ghost stories?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
SamNMax

Oh, boy. Here come the Edgar Allan Poe nerds...

Spoiler:
He's not scary.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:36 AM   #7
Epinionated.

You'd had thought it, wouldn't you?

Unfortunately our memebers are TOO LAME to know any ghost stories, so this thread has sunk into submission. LAAAMMEEEE.

Waits for someone to accept the challenge.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:17 AM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

'Tis a ghorst storie ye be wantin' then?
Well, gather round chidderns and I shall tell ye all a story that shall mayek yer spahn shiver and your blood run cold.

I was walkin' don the rord wun deh when ah did see the strengest saat. T'was a man, dress'd in the clorths of a woman! Alas, he was neither a strenger, nor was he a friend.
Why, this man would be me... on me way to the tattoo parlour.

But granddad! We wanted a SCARY story!

Oh, t'was morst scary when I did walk into the Transvestite Haters, Cannibals & Ex-convicts society!!

To be honest why am I with you granddad? You smell of wee.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

'Tis a ghorst storie ye be wantin' then?
Well, gather round chidderns and I shall tell ye all a story that shall mayek yer spahn shiver and your blood run cold.

I was walkin' don the rord wun deh when ah did see the strengest saat. T'was a man, dress'd in the clorths of a woman! Alas, he was neither a strenger, nor was he a friend.
Why, this man would be me... on me way to the tattoo parlour.

But granddad! We wanted a SCARY story!

Oh, t'was morst scary when I did walk into the Transvestite Haters, Cannibals & Ex-convicts society!!

To be honest why am I with you granddad? You smell of wee.

Because this be a Worther's Original ad! Now eat it before ah gives ye a knuckle sammidge!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
Super Moderator

The Open Window by Saki (H. H. Munro)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
Schoolgirl From Hell

You guys are not helping!

Okay, I tell you guys what. In the spirit of Halloween, instead of trading campy ghost stories, let's exchange stories of the traditional ghosts. The legends. The lores. For example, like the Scottish Cutty Black Sow, the Chinese Hopping Ghost... I find these kind of ghost stories creepier, more enthralling and more beautiful. Which legend did you grew up with hearing, and give us the description?

For me, I used to grow up hearing the legend of the Pontianak (see link which SJH posted in the first post). She's the Asian vampire, infamous with her own lore of how she began her bloodlust. The Pontianak was supposedly a woman who died at childbirth (or something like that). I remember her tales used to haunt me, because my mom once told me stories that a Pontianak used to haunt my late grandfather's estate. Every night my mother's family had this ritual which they perform faithfully - that every night, every door and shutter window must closed exactly at 10 p.m. Imagine that there are more than 20 shutter windows at my grandparents' house! It was the traditional wooden Malay home which usually has plenty of windows and doors. My mom said every night, exactly midnight, she could hear the Pontianak hovering about and scratching the roof, trying to find her way in... my mom used to tremble in her bed until she fell asleep.

Anyway, now the old house stood alone in a long legal family battle... my mom still loves the house and she still has fond memories of it...

The house looked a little like this:

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"

Last edited by saucyminx; 10-31-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
Epinionated.

See? It CAN be done!

Mira gets the cookie. Trep, you stay away. No cookies for you.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:30 AM   #13
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

When I lived in Savannah just off Bonaventure Road, I was awakened one night by the sounds of a party in progress. The murmur of conversation, the clink of silverware on china, and the occasional ripple of laughter were clearly audible on the street outside my window. Out of curiosity, I sat up in bed and pulled aside the curtains on my window to see which of my neighbors would have such a large party so late on a week night.
Much to my surprise, my street was completely deserted and the sounds of the party immediately ceased.
When I told a friend of mine who was raised in Savannah about this, he laughed and explained that Bonaventure Road was originally the driveway that led to Bonaventure Plantation, whose main house had caught fire and burned to the ground while a dinner party was in progress. In true Savannah fashion, once the owner of the plantation was told by his servants that the fire was out of control and spreading rapidly, he had instructed his guests to grab their plates and glasses and go out on the lawn to watch the house burn down.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 10-31-2005, 07:39 AM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

"And an image remained on the screen. It was... THE WINDOWS LOGO!"
"That's not scary!"
"It is if you're a laser printer."
Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
Epinionated.

Nice one.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #16
Epinionated.

Where's Gilly when you need him? I'm suprised at the lack of replies here! ASTONISHED!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Where's Gilly when you need him? I'm suprised at the lack of replies here! ASTONISHED!
Busy day at work, sqauresie. Looks like I'm working late tonight. If I had some time, I could tell you about Kumiho (or Gumiho), the Korean version of nine-tailed fox. When a fox becomes 1,000 years old, it acquires 9 tails and an ability to transform into a beatiful young women. If a kumiho extract and eat livers from 100 men, it can transform into a real human for good. There are various Kumiho tales and legends in korea and Kimiho movies and TV shows used to scare the crap out of me.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #18

Another ghost/monster from Asia. This one's from japan and I used to be scared shitless of this one when I was a wee lad too.

These are called Rokurokubis. A rokurokubi is a female monster with an extremely flexible neck. By day they are indistinguishable from normal women, but after nightfall rokurokubi stretch their necks out to any length in search of prey. According to one theory, they are seeking out men in order to suck the life energy out of them.

(Sorry about the copy and paste job. These web descriptions really do not do them justice. I used to be absolutely terrified of kumihos and rokurokubis.)
Old 10-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
Under pressure.

Funny how all of these ghost stories are about scary women.

--Erwin
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #20
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

You sure do have a purdy mouth, Erwin.

How's that for a scary guy?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3