You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Are you scared of getting older?

View Poll Results: Are you scared of getting old?
Yeah. 13 41.94%
Nah. 11 35.48%
I don't give a shit as long as I still get to eat pie. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #41
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Ironically, the responses of some of the younger members here (well, at least younger than I) are rather depressing to me, and telling of the attitude they have on aging. It's interesting how people in their early to mid 20s (not all, but many) view getting older as debilitating, even sad
o.O If you're reading that into what I said (and only if, I do realise I'm not the only person who's responded), then maybe you should read it again...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-08-2005, 09:44 AM   #42
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Quit freaking me out! I kind of have this idea that living past 70 is unnatural and only afforded to us because of medical science, but in doing so we spread ourselves thin. Hell, in fact, at that age, you already start to decay while still being alive. The skin shrivels, your teeth go bad and start to fall out, your hair falls out...you just start to break down. If I can live to 70, i'll be happy. Anything past that will be painful.

I've seen 80 year old people who were in excellent shape, mentally and physically (and spiritually. IMO, that's what "preserved" them). I think the cool thing about being that old, and dressing up in old-fashioned clothes, is the respect and love you get from people just for being a "Veteran" of life. Those brown pants are almost like a uniform, or something. When you've got grandkinds, that must also be something worth holding onto life for. Anyway, grayheads rock.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #43
Super Moderator

I was walking along this big greenbelt in town (with bike/walking paths) recently and I saw this couple in their late 70's walking together. She needed a cane but they were holding hands. It was so romantic and sweet. It didn't seem like they cared how old they were.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:48 AM   #44
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I often work in Nursing homes and while many (?most) of the seniors I see are quite debilitated of either or both mind and body, it is truly the exceptions that make it fascinating. Nearly a year ago I took care of a woman who had been on the Titanic as a child - she was very interesting to talk to, and remembered a great deal of what had happened. I have taken care of many centenarians, including one last night who was 105 and completely alert and oriented. She was unsteady in her gait and had fallen a number of times and therefore could no longer live alone. She was tiny, and frail, but her eyes were bright and merry! What a neat lady! In the US we have over 100,000 centenarians and this population is growing steadily. As we baby boomers grow older, there will be even more need for nursing homes and alternatives for their care.

What I fear most as I approach this age range is the loss of respect that we give the elderly. As soon as someone retires, their status in the world plummets. Their opinions no longer count, their thoughts seem outdated to us. We live in a fast-changing world, and those who don't keep up with it will be left behind. This is especially true of the elderly. But I am seeing more and more computer and internet literate old people, and this encourages me. A few Nursing Homes have computer rooms for their residents - what a nice thing this is to see!

Lynsie
Old 10-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #45
The Impostor

Actually I'm more scared of not getting older.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #46
just visiting

At half a centrury, I already AM older. It's far too late to get scared about that now.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #47
A Servicable Villain

I used to be scared of it, but that has passed. Nowadays I'm scared of not being able to do stuff anymore once I get older. Honestly, I don't mind reaching one hundred, as long as I can still grapple a keyboard or controller and play games. I just fear I'll lose the motoric control, and that's really frightening.

Fortunately, this is where cyborg enhanced technology will come into play. GO FUTURE!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:32 AM   #48

Years are passing by a bit too fast for my taste, and I can see myself settling in and being "stuck" with a family without having experienced a third of what youth can bring one.
So I voted yes, but that's more a question of mood than anything else, really.
In fact, getting older is cool, but the melancholy it entails is both a sweet and heavy burden.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 AM   #49
all loved up

I'm quite nervous about getting older, since my university years have almost gone now, and I'll soon have to deal with all the responsibility that comes with age... Plus I worry I'm going to end up stuck in a job I'm not happy in, since the work I want to go into, journalism, is so competitive and so far in life, I've had comparatively little experience in that field. Still, I'll hopefully be able to settle down and live a pretty peaceful life (something that doesn't really happen at uni!)
Old 10-10-2005, 05:21 AM   #50
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I was incredibly shy (but I still am), geeky, awkward and blah looking when young. I was very into school. Never went to parties, didn't date (until I was 20) and all around missed out on a lot of the experiences that go with being young. I gained some confidence at 20 and beyond (with the help of alcohol) but didn't fully come into my own until just recently. And I've been barreling through school the past 8 years and have sort of put my life on hold(schools been a lot longer than that, I just had a 3 year break working during which my life was also on hold and sucked). So I feel like my best years are coming up. I am definitely not afraid of getting old. Now I am trying to take better care of myself so I can have many more years.
Wow, that sounds like my own boring and empty life... although I'm only 20. And only the first half of your post actually applies to me, of course. But yes - don't drink, don't know anybody to go to parties with, no social life... the usual stuff.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #51
just visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Quit freaking me out! I kind of have this idea that living past 70 is unnatural and only afforded to us because of medical science, but in doing so we spread ourselves thin. Hell, in fact, at that age, you already start to decay while still being alive. The skin shrivels, your teeth go bad and start to fall out, your hair falls out...you just start to break down. If I can live to 70, i'll be happy. Anything past that will be painful.
Amen to that!

I've known plenty of people who come from families that are genetically predisposed to living long lives & remain active & alert until the end. That's great. I've also seen far too many people kept alive well past their physical usefulness. Of course whose to say when that time is.

I use to think that 55 would be long enough to live but now that's only 5 years away so I've started thinking 65 or 70 might not be so bad. Death doesn't scare me nearly as much as the thought of being trapped in a fail, worn out body for 20 years or so.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:34 AM   #52
A Servicable Villain

I want to live out to the day that I can enhance myself with nano-tchnology and cyborg stuff.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #53
merely human

I look forward to the day when sex will finally stop being a goddamn priority for me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #54
The Impostor

Quote:
I look forward to the day when sex will finally stop being a goddamn priority for me.
So you intend to retreat back into the womb?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #55
merely human

No, even though I'm not claustrophobic. And there's no internet access in the womb.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #56
The Impostor

Quote:
And there's no internet access in the womb.
I'm sure you could find a few chat-wombs.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #57
merely human

Possibly, but I'd also need womb service.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #58
The Impostor

But would there be enough womb for the cart?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:38 PM   #59
merely human

Not sure, but I'd least have a womb with a view.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #60
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

groans.........