You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Human Rights

I've got an essay due for uni in the coming weeks, just wondering what your thoughts were on this quesion: Do human rights include the right to disobey your own government?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
I've got an essay due for uni in the coming weeks, just wondering what your thoughts were on this question: Do human rights include the right to disobey your own government?
My first thought was yes, but then it brought up more questions.

1. Human rights by your government's definition - ie, conflicting laws?
2. Is this for the military or the civilian, because in the military, following orders takes all precedence, regardless of morality issues of individuals.
3. Disobeying the gov't may bring criminal charges against you, but with justifiable reasoning, you may be exempted from punishment, depending upon circumstances and the sequellae following the defense of those rights.
4. Which laws of the gov't would you be disobeying? If treason or terrorism is involved, then you may be out of luck.

Lynsie
Old 10-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
2. Is this for the military or the civilian, because in the military, following orders takes all precedence, regardless of morality issues of individuals.
I think you must obey all lawful orders. If they are unlawful, I think you have a case for disobeying them.

In the My Lai massacre, 5 soldiers did disobey and rescued some of the Vietnamese. They were first seen as traitors but were never charged and eventually received the Soldier's medal.

During the Nuremberg trials, those that were charged with war crimes were not allowed to use the "I was only following orders" defense because those orders violated international law.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #4

Ooh, this sounds like the kind of question i'll be getting on LNAT.

I'd give you a spiffy answer, but I'm not making the essay for you.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
I've got an essay due for uni in the coming weeks, just wondering what your thoughts were on this quesion: Do human rights include the right to disobey your own government?
Are you an anarchist or a fascist? Can you accept the answer, "sometimes, always, never"?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Well, bearing in mind that I'm a US citizen, a country who's entire existence is due to citizens disobeying their government...

I feel that a government's job is to serve the needs of the people. If a government is abusing their power, neglecting the needs of the people, or otherwise being unjust, then I feel it is indeed a *necessity* to disobey.

There have been many occasions in my nation's history where people earned rights and freedoms and dissolved injustices through civil disobedience. Some of the more notable examples being the Suffragettes, Martin Luther King's followers, and people currently campaigning for gay rights.

Of course, disobedience is not always appropriate, especially if there are legal venues for resolving issues. And I am very much against violence or causing harm except in self-defense... I feel things like the LA riots to be a black mark on our history.

But I do feel there are times when civil disobedience is not only a right, but a duty of a citizen as a check and balance against a government who no longer doing *their* duty.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."