You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Dreams

Do any of you have recurring dreams or dreams that have a common theme?

If so, what do you think they mean?

In my case I'll have dreams where I am in a huge place like a mall or driving and I make a wrong turn. Instead of turning around and taking the correct turn I try and find another way and end up getting hopelessly lost. I wish I kept some sort of journal to see if these dreams coincide with stressful times in my life. I think these dreams may mean I am not sure of my own direction in life (a little self analysis to while away the hours ).
Old 09-22-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
merely human

I think there's already a thread about dreams somewhere here and many of us recounted ours. Do a search.

EDIT - I found it: Your favourite dreams.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I think there's already a thread about dreams somewhere here and many of us recounted ours. Do a search.

EDIT - I found it: Your favourite dreams.

I searched but that didn't come up - DOH!! (that's what I get for trying to be clever, someone else thought of it )
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
Banned User

My girlfriend cheats on me in every dream.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #5

Everytime I have a dream about skiing, I've forgotten to take something along with me. So it's not too often that I get to ski in my dreams.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
Citizen of Bizarro World

I used to have recurring dreams when I was a kid. Now I rarely remember any. But in either case, they used be about me walking on a rockface in my pajamas, then slipping and falling through darkness, untill I started noticing that I'm falling towards something, which turned out to be my bed. Then I'd wake up.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
merely human

Well, at least you were between a rock and soft place.

audience:
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Citizen of Bizarro World

True that. I've always wondered why the feeling of rushing towards my bed was the most unpleasant part of the experience. The floaty part...not so bad.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
The Impostor

Quote:
If so, what do you think they mean?
It means I'm sleeping.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I think that nearly everyplace I've lived, I've dreamt that there was a hidden room. And this was even before there were adventure games! LOL

Lynsie
Old 09-23-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

My dreams are full of recurring themes, they usually start with me jumping out of the windows and floating away clumsily...

Nearly all places in my dream are much bigger in the inside than the outside, and some seem to be designed by Escher of Kakfa...

The train station is pure chaos, there is a giant hall where you can see rails leading nowhere and cut abrubtly, you practically have to jump from train to train sometimes...

There is this huge mall, where a chunk of wall is missing, and when I visit the gamestore either I have money but they don't have anything I want or viceversa, there is also an "aromatorium", where you buy "smells", that are actually some weird spices...

I also have this recurring dream about a hotel where I take an elevator that plummet to my demise, when I finally chose not to take it, the hotel was as Kafkesque as the other dream places and it was hell to find my room...

And then there is the dream in my parent's village, with also have a bigger inside than outside and there are no stairs to reach the second floor...
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM   #12
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
It means I'm sleeping.
Teehee. <3
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-23-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

My recurring dreams consist mostly of the following:

1. The "Hovering" dreams.

Now, see, normal people would dream of *flying*... soaring through the skies like birds and stuff.

Not me, though. I'm incredibly acrophobic, and apparently even my subconscious mind can't get around that fear. So I end up sort of levitating about a foot off the ground in my dreams instead. Well, at least my feet don't get tired as I zip around.

2. The "Late For Work" dreams.

Yes, I have recurring dreams about being late for work. Not five minutes late, but more like several hours late. The reason why I'm late varies from dream to dream, and ranges from mundane reasons like oversleeping to bizarre reasons like a parade of elephants going by my house and blocking the street.

I haven't had this dream in a while, though... probably because I have come to hate my current job and no longer give a rat's ass if I'm late or not.

3. The "Need to Stop Playing Computer Games So Much" dreams.

Not so much one recurring dream, as it is that whenever I play a computer game too often I have dreams about it. These tend to range from weird to extremely weird. I think the weirdest one I had that I remember clearly was after I finished Fallout...

Spoiler:
I dreamt that I had just caused the self-destruct sequence for the bomb underneath the Cathedral. However, instead of simply running for it, I started trying to get the Followers in the church to come away with me so they wouldn't get blown up. Naturally, they wouldn't follow, so I kept getting more and more upset and despondent. Finally I had no time left and had to just give up and run, crying in misery. That's when I woke up.

After I told one of my friends that dream he gave me an incredulous look and said, "Geez, you really are a bleeding-heart goodie-goodie wuss, aren't you?"

What do my dreams mean? That my personality alternates between being boring and bizarre.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #14
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I used to have lots of nightmares when I was growing up. Now, not so much. Sometimes I'll have really vivid dreams of being in a battle (usually after playing a video game ).

Most recently I've been having anxiety dreams about my wedding, which is now less than a month away. I've had a couple dreams about my dress not fitting, and I've had to walk down the aisle with huge safety pins holding the back together. Also, I've had dreams of madly dashing around town, but not being able to find the church. Urgh, I'll be glad win the planning is all over!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
Citizen of Bizarro World

Wow, it's funny how you forget dreams until someone mentions they had a similar one. I had the "late for work" one myself, recently. Although in the dream, I went through the whole sequence of being really really late, once, twice, and finally one too many times, and then I got fired.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #16
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
3. The "Need to Stop Playing Computer Games So Much" dreams.

Not so much one recurring dream, as it is that whenever I play a computer game too often I have dreams about it. These tend to range from weird to extremely weird. I think the weirdest one I had that I remember clearly was after I finished Fallout...

Spoiler:
I dreamt that I had just caused the self-destruct sequence for the bomb underneath the Cathedral. However, instead of simply running for it, I started trying to get the Followers in the church to come away with me so they wouldn't get blown up. Naturally, they wouldn't follow, so I kept getting more and more upset and despondent. Finally I had no time left and had to just give up and run, crying in misery. That's when I woke up.

After I told one of my friends that dream he gave me an incredulous look and said, "Geez, you really are a bleeding-heart goodie-goodie wuss, aren't you?"

What do my dreams mean? That my personality alternates between being boring and bizarre.

Peace & Luv, Liz

That happens to me too. Some pretty surreal dreams like being in love with Anomen "Annoy-me" (that's what I called him when he was particularly annoying and silly.) Delryn - Seriously, they wrote three romances for male characters (which were quite okay, I guess. Jaheira, Aerie and Viconia.). But for female characters they wrote one hell of an annoying brat. ("Baldur's Gate II" by the way.)

Also, I wanted to do exactly the same thing as you in Fallout, Jeysie. Well, except for the guy who killed my dear Meatdog.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #17
Schoolgirl From Hell

Funny you guys should come up with the Dreams thread today, because last night I suffered from a very bad nightmare. I don't remember much of it, but I do know that I scared the hell out of my roommate because this afternoon she told me she was awoken to the sound of me thrashing around in my bed and screaming. Understandably, she was too scared to get out of her bed in the dark to wake me up. She said I was doing that for a good half-hour. She honestly thought I was possessed or something (it's an Asian thing among us). I was spooked out, too, when I heard it from her because I know I had a nightmare... I just couldn't remember what I dreamt about.

Next time I should lay off garlic and ginger combination in my dinner.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #18
just visiting

The closest I came to a reoccurring dream lasted for years. I was in a rowboat with a leak, heading for the dock. I rowed furiously as the water got higher. Once it got up to the seat I'd wake up, realizing I'd wet the bed. I was in my late 20s the last time this happened. By that time I was able to recognize it as a dream & wake up & go to the bathroom.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
kamikaze hummingbirds

When I stepped in dogpoo once I had a dream about running through a forest being chased by a gigantic T-Rex or some variety of werewolf or somekind of Tyrannosaurus Were-Rex or something but... BUT, I say! I had to avoid the dog turd in the forest.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #20
Under pressure.

I've had a few 'The light doesn't work' dreams lately. I'm in a room in our house, it's dark and I want to turn on the light. But no matter how many lights I turn on, they only emit a very faint glow, which is annoying as hell.

--Erwin