You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 05:52 AM   #1
Mostly absent

Default Welcome Alex, Phill and Vinny!

In celebration of Bad Mojo’s comeback, we are honored to have three of the key guys behind the game here with us today.

A warm welcome to Alex Louie, Phill Simon and Vinny Carrella who will be here for the coming eight hours to answer any questions you cockroaches forumites might have about Bad Mojo, rats, the cockroach aquarium, etc. You know, the usual.

As always we have piled up a reserve of beer, drinks and chocolate truffles for you all to enjoy between the chatting.

Enjoy yourselves and let the questioning begin!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
In celebration of Bad Mojo’s comeback, we are honored to have three of the key guys behind the game here with us today.

A warm welcome to Alex Louie, Phill Simon and Vinny Carrella who will be here for the coming eight hours to answer any questions you cockroaches forumites might have about Bad Mojo, rats, the cockroach aquarium, etc. You know, the usual.

As always we have piled up a reserve of beer, drinks and chocolate truffles for you all to enjoy between the chatting.

Enjoy yourselves and let the questioning begin!

So where's the beer?

Thanks for having us/me...I'm on east coast time so I guess I'm here first. Hit me with some stuff people, I'm on fire here.
VC
Old 12-17-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Welcome, guys!!

What a blast having you join us. I mean, who else would discuss Booger Principles and dead rats with us? No one!!

I've become a broken record on the subject, so I'll just say it once more... Bad Mojo is a terrific game, totally deserving of a re-release, and I'm thrilled to see it getting lots of positive attention again. Just don't let the superstardom go to your heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentbox
So where's the beer?
Hahahahaha!! Your pals know you all too well, Vinny. You didn't get the last memo that said "make sure a west coaster brings the beer, cuz Vinny always shows up early."

Last edited by Jackal; 12-17-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Beer? At this time of morning?

Welcome to the forum, guys!

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Welcome to the forum, guys!

-emily
This is chat ?
I've actually never been in anything but live support chats.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
Game Designer

Stardom? Thanks for the kudos, really, it means so much to me and everyone who was responsible for Bad Mojo...well, almost everyone.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:55 AM   #7
Game Designer

Yes, this is chat. Chat with me darling. Let's discuss the language of squalor and all that is nasty and foul from the world of the Blattadae....

VC
Old 12-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #8
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
What do you mean? It's 18.05 PM!

Old 12-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #9

I know nothing about the game. I live in Florida. I know about roaches. But they call them palmetto bugs here. roaches don't even compare to these dinosaurs.
These things would live on roaches.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #10
Bearly Here

*out of breath*

Sorry guys, realized that we ran through the beer last night when the board broke, had to keep Doug motivated.

*digs through bags* Got Beer, Ale, some pub draft rolling in and what the hell - who's up for Tequilla shots later on?

I figured the worms could keep the roaches happy
Old 12-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #11
Game Designer

Default Lovely Palmetto Euphamisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbminfo
I know nothing about the game. I live in Florida. I know about roaches. But they call them palmetto bugs here. roaches don't even compare to these dinosaurs.
These things would live on roaches.
Those are American cockroaches...and unlike their cousins, the German roaches, they can fly (as you well know). The roach at the very opening of Mojo, the one that falls into the swere chamber, is an American cockroach. The roach in the game is a German cockroach, named as such because at one time, we looked down upon German immigrants...and all immigrants...but now we've changed an love everyone unless they're Islamic...what's next? Islamic roaches?

VC
Old 12-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #12

You guys are obviously here for feedback on your game. I would put myself as a total newbie to these games. I just finished my 1st one yesterday. csi miami.

My opinion: I HATE ROACHES. Real bad choice for subject matter for a game.
I wouldn't spend a penny on a game about roaches.

I hate having to kill them and hate having to clean them up afterwards.
I just use Harris roach tablets.

But here it's either kill them or share the plate with them..
Which is why I have no trouble with free ranging lizards entering the house.

Also, not real interested in games requiring anything more than a keyboard or mouse.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #13
Game Designer

Quote:
You guys are obviously here for feedback on your game. I would put myself as a total newbie to these games. I just finished my 1st one yesterday. csi miami.

Also, not real interested in games requiring anything more than a keyboard or mouse.
Perhaps you should put your predjudices aside just this once and give Mojo a shake. We hate that which we do not understand. That is the problem with the world. Mojo is a metaphor for peace and understanding. Take the time to know something/someone and maybe you won't feel the need to kill. And isn't this why we play adventure games? It's why I do. I'd rather think my way out of a situation than shoot my way out. Sometimes you have to get low to get high. Know what I mean? Try being a roach for a day. It will give you a new perspective if you are open to it. If.

VC
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
Bad Mojo Producer

Quote:

Obviously, you have strong opinions about roaches - the marketing hook from 1996 still works. You either like it or you don't. Fascinating that is does.

With regard to the keyboard issue, there's beauty in simplicity. Originally, we thought about a lot more resource management. But really, it's a roach. They don't do much.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentbox
Perhaps you should put your predjudices aside just this once and give Mojo a shake. We hate that which we do not understand. That is the problem with the world. Mojo is a metaphor for peace and understanding. Take the time to know something/someone and maybe you won't feel the need to kill. And isn't this why we play adventure games? It's why I do. I'd rather think my way out of a situation than shoot my way out. Sometimes you have to get low to get high. Know what I mean? Try being a roach for a day. It will give you a new perspective if you are open to it. If.

VC
Prejudices ? I'll assume you're kidding.
I know roaches. And prejudice has no more to do with sharing a plate with them, than with rats.

I just said if sales are low, maybe it's because of the subject matter. I'm not interested in anything about roaches other than what will get rid of them.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Prejudices ? I'll assume you're kidding.
I know roaches. And prejudice has no more to do with sharing a plate with them, than with rats.
He doesn't mean prejudice against roaches; just a pre-determination that you could never enjoy a game about a cockroach without trying it.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #17
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoAlex
But really, it's a roach. They don't do much.
And how do you know?!

Wait, don't answer that.
That roach aquarium you had must have been interesting. Did you feed them and stuff or did they like feed on each other?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #18

Just as a followup on roaches. Browsing my excite newspaper page some advetiser had put up a 'kill the cockroach' swf movie. I just caught the movement out of the corner of my eye while switching pages.

Roaches don't care where they land. I thought I now had to chase one down.
Luckily when I got back to the page I saw it was just a swf movie.

I saw the roach and have no idea what it was 'giving away' if I swatted it.

I can handle the kill the fly swf movies. They're poorly done. there's no chance of mistaking them for the real thing.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
Bad Mojo Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
And how do you know?!

Wait, don't answer that.
That roach aquarium you had must have been interesting. Did you feed them and stuff or did they like feed on each other?
Dan Meblin, our 3D director, was also the cockroach manager. The aquarium was thankfully in his area. But he used to feed them dried dog food.

The roaches pretty much hung out, mated, and died. The younger roaches had all the energy to scurry around.

Many that thing was insane. I was always concerned that it might get tipped over and the roaches would roam free.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
He doesn't mean prejudice against roaches; just a pre-determination that you could never enjoy a game about a cockroach without trying it.
Has nothing to do with prejudice. I just don't care about roaches. And that means no games on roaches, no books on roaches other than maybe a list of known insecticides.

This was just feedback to let them know how their choice of subject matter for a game affects someone looking for something to waste time and money on.

Wasting time and money takes a lot more than roaches to open my wallet.
Only reason I even dropped in on this thread was cause I was amazed to hear game authors would be participating in an online discussion regarding games.

Curiousity drew me in.