You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 09:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoAlex
Dan Meblin, our 3D director, was also the cockroach manager. The aquarium was thankfully in his area. But he used to feed them dried dog food.

The roaches pretty much hung out, mated, and died. The younger roaches had all the energy to scurry around.

Many that thing was insane. I was always concerned that it might get tipped over and the roaches would roam free.
Maybe next time you will intentionally tip it over. Then you'll know roaches..
Old 12-17-2004, 09:03 AM   #22
Mostly absent

Well, the game sold very well, so many people don't seem find roaches as repulsive as you do. And you don't HAVE to buy the game you know. If you don't like the subject matter that's okay.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #23
Bad Mojo Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbminfo
Has nothing to do with prejudice. I just don't care about roaches. And that means no games on roaches, no books on roaches other than maybe a list of known insecticides.

This was just feedback to let them know how their choice of subject matter for a game affects someone looking for something to waste time and money on.

Wasting time and money takes a lot more than roaches to open my wallet.
Only reason I even dropped in on this thread was cause I was amazed to hear game authors would be participating in an online discussion regarding games.

Curiousity drew me in.
Well, thanks for your opinion. But keep in mind this conversation when you try to find a CSI game in about eight years. Bad Mojo was first released in 1996 and it still conjours this amount of interest.

I think some of the folks in this forum already played it the first time. When I first started this re-release, I was thinking that they are a lot of people who haven't yet seen this. I'll probably think the same thing and try it again in 8 years. Bad Mojo isn't what I'd call a waste of money.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #24
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Prejudices ? I'll assume you're kidding.
I know roaches. And prejudice has no more to do with sharing a plate with them, than with rats.

I just said if sales are low, maybe it's because of the subject matter. I'm not interested in anything about roaches other than what will get rid of them.
CB, that bulge in my mouth is the tip of my tongue wedged in my cheek...yes, I am being facetious. But really, I HATED roaches before I made this game. I killed thousands and thousands of them, and if my house was infested, I'd have to get rid of them...but when I see one now, outside or in a restaurant, I smile. Because I know where he lives and I know hos tough it is to be a roach. They are not filthy, WE are filthy, that's why they can live off of us...all insects are disturbing, but they are also beautiful if you really think about it...they are finely crafted machines and they have been here on the planet a lot longer than we have. You have to respect a roach. And all i was asking ws that you give it a chance...VC
Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #25
BRC

The University of Carolina has a live "roach cam" where you can watch roaches "hanging out" although one right now appears to have done his (or her) last hanging or just enjoys sleeping motionless on his back.
http://cricket.biol.sc.edu/usc-roach-cam.html

I would never have thought I would have had anything to do with a game about roaches, but Bad Mojo has been a breath of fresh air (oddly enough) and has definitely given me some roach zen.

-- Beverly
Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentbox
CB, that bulge in my mouth is the tip of my tongue wedged in my cheek...yes, I am being facetious. But really, I HATED roaches before I made this game. I killed thousands and thousands of them, and if my house was infested, I'd have to get rid of them...but when I see one now, outside or in a restaurant, I smile. Because I know where he lives and I know hos tough it is to be a roach. They are not filthy, WE are filthy, that's why they can live off of us...all insects are disturbing, but they are also beautiful if you really think about it...they are finely crafted machines and they have been here on the planet a lot longer than we have. You have to respect a roach. And all i was asking ws that you give it a chance...VC
And that's what I'm saying. The subject matter alone turns me off. With the cost of games what they are, $20.00 for something that turns my stomach is a bad investment. There's not even any curiousity to find out what could be so fascinating to make anyone spend anything on roaches other than to remove them.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #27
Game Designer

Quote:
Has nothing to do with prejudice. I just don't care about roaches. And that means no games on roaches, no books on roaches other than maybe a list of known insecticides.

This was just feedback to let them know how their choice of subject matter for a game affects someone looking for something to waste time and money on.

Wasting time and money takes a lot more than roaches to open my wallet.
Only reason I even dropped in on this thread was cause I was amazed to hear game authors would be participating in an online discussion regarding games.

Curiousity drew me in.
Well, we care about our game. We didn't make it for the money and quite frankly I don't give a damn if it sells. Sometimes people make things because they want to. At the time we were trying to create something a bit more meaningful than shooters. We were idealistic and wanted to do games that people with brains might want to play. That's not to say that those who play shooters have no brains, it's just that we wanted to have more choices out there. We made games that WE wanted to play. Not that we thought would sell. As it turns out, Mojo did well. it made our company money, it made Acclaim money, but it didn't make me any money, or Phil Simon, or Alex Louie or any of the other guys who put their hearts into it. So when I hear such callous remarks it makes me think twice about participating. You are judging a book by its cover. I suppose you would read Metamorphosis because the main character is a beetle? I'm not trying to an a**hole here. Really. I want to be friends. But Bad Mojo is not a game about roaches, it's a game about three humans who lost their way in life and who have a chance to find it again. You don't have to buy it. Or like it. I'm here because I love the game. I have ZERO financial stake in its success. I don't make a dime from being here or from the game. Yeah, yeah cry me a freakin' river...my point is, here is something that mattered. here is something that was made with true love and caraftsmanship. Everyone from Drew Huffman to Bill Zettler put their lives on hold for two years to make something they could be proud of, not something that could be a quick money making flash-in-the-pan, and lo and behold, it's still here! It's been reborn. Why? Because like a good movie, it is timeless....sorry for the diatribe. VC
Old 12-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Well, we care about our game. We didn't make it for the money and quite frankly I don't give a damn if it sells. Sometimes people make things because they want to. At the time we were trying to create something a bit more meaningful than shooters. We were idealistic and wanted to do games that people with brains might want to play. That's not to say that those who play shooters have no brains, it's just that we wanted to have more choices out there. We made games that WE wanted to play. Not that we thought would sell. As it turns out, Mojo did well. it made our company money, it made Acclaim money, but it didn't make me any money, or Phil Simon, or Alex Louie or any of the other guys who put their hearts into it. So when I hear such callous remarks it makes me think twice about participating. You are judging a book by its cover. I suppose you would read Metamorphosis because the main character is a beetle? I'm not trying to an a**hole here. Really. I want to be friends. But Bad Mojo is not a game about roaches, it's a game about three humans who lost their way in life and who have a chance to find it again. You don't have to buy it. Or like it. I'm here because I love the game. I have ZERO financial stake in its success. I don't make a dime from being here or from the game. Yeah, yeah cry me a freakin' river...my point is, here is something that mattered. here is something that was made with true love and caraftsmanship. Everyone from Drew Huffman to Bill Zettler put their lives on hold for two years to make something they could be proud of, not something that could be a quick money making flash-in-the-pan, and lo and behold, it's still here! It's been reborn. Why? Because like a good movie, it is timeless....sorry for the diatribe. VC
I should have known an honest opinion would turn into a flame war. I'm gone..
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #29
Hopeful skeptic

CBM, no problem if roaches are that much of a turn off for you. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way, so it's probably good to hear this view so it can be addressed. But let's just not turn personal preferences into some sort of indictment of the game or its creators that we bang over their heads. Particularly, as Vinny explained, when there's so much more TO the game than just being about a bug. (EDIT: no one even remotely "flamed" you. You gave an honest opinion, and were given honest opinions in return. Respect needs to work both ways.)

Vinny, rant on! What a fantastic answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC
The University of Carolina has a live "roach cam" where you can watch roaches "hanging out" although one right now appears to have done his (or her) last hanging or just enjoys sleeping motionless on his back.
Ewwwww!

Hey, these ones eat dog food, too!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:48 AM   #30
Game Designer

Quote:
I should have known an honest opinion would turn into a flame war. I'm gone..
CB, I hoped you would stay. Is honest debate what passes as flames around here? You are correct in that SOME people may find roaches a turn off and not buy the game based on that alone. But about 500,000 of them didn't. I don't think we'd even be here if the game was about a butterfly or an ant. It's about a roach. Which is a creature I had taken for granted and murdered wantonly before I took the time to do the research. I saved you all that time. All you have to do is play the game. But if you won't, that's cool too. I respect your perogative to pick and choose that which interests you. No flames. Water. No time to hate, man.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
CBM, no problem if roaches are that much of a turn off for you. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way, so it's probably good to hear this view so it can be addressed. But let's just not turn personal preferences into some sort of indictment of the game or its creators that we bang over their heads. Particularly, as Vinny explained, when there's so much more TO the game than just being about a bug. (EDIT: no one even remotely "flamed" you. You gave an honest opinion, and were given honest opinions in return. Respect needs to work both ways.)

Vinny, rant on! What a fantastic answer.

Ewwwww!

Hey, these ones eat dog food, too!
Had nothing to do with the game. I mentioned that I think in my 1st sentence. I haven't even seen the game or anything about it. My only references have been about the subject matter. I can't comment on the game. Just why I will never even give the game a look see even if it winds up on my machine for free somehow. It's just not a subject that interests me no matter how cute/ugly/etc.. they've been made to appear.

They'll eat anything with a spongyness to them. Including human flesh and dogs.

But again I'm talking Palmetto bugs. These things don't even compare to roaches. Roaches probably are cuddly and cute compared to something with razors for legs.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #32

Quote:
CB, I hoped you would stay. Is honest debate what passes as flames around here? You are correct in that SOME people may find roaches a turn off and not buy the game based on that alone. But about 500,000 of them didn't. I don't think we'd even be here if the game was about a butterfly or an ant. It's about a roach. Which is a creature I had taken for granted and murdered wantonly before I took the time to do the research. I saved you all that time. All you have to do is play the game. But if you won't, that's cool too. I respect your perogative to pick and choose that which interests you. No flames. Water. No time to hate, man.
No but someone distorting what I've said about roaches, not the game into a personal attack about something I've never even seen passes for flames.

Actually I'm out the door to walmart now for L&O and nancy drew. And probably won't be back for another hour.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM   #33
Game Designer

Quote:
No but someone distorting what I've said about roaches, not the game into a personal attack about something I've never even seen passes for flames.

Actually I'm out the door to walmart now for L&O and nancy drew. And probably won't be back for another hour.
CB- as I mentioned earlier in a different thread, the Palmetto bug is an American Cockroach and they are indeed disgusting - on the surface. I guess I was hoping you might think twice before squashing one with the heel of your boot. Have fun at WalMart. Hope to see you when you get back. No animosity here.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #34
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC

I would never have thought I would have had anything to do with a game about roaches, but Bad Mojo has been a breath of fresh air (oddly enough) and has definitely given me some roach zen.

-- Beverly
Roach zen is good zen Beverly. If you spare a roach, you too shall be spared....
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #35
BRC

Quote:
Roach zen is good zen Beverly. If you spare a roach, you too shall be spared....
Thankfully the only roach I've encountered lately was already dead, so no philosophical challenge to my chi.

But I did wonder about where that roach had been earlier in the day. What challenges had been faced and how it met its end.

Being cockroach contemplative was probably easier, however, as it was nowhere near my house. And dead.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #36
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC
Thankfully the only roach I've encountered lately was already dead, so no philosophical challenge to my chi.

But I did wonder about where that roach had been earlier in the day. What challenges had been faced and how it met its end.

Being cockroach contemplative was probably easier, however, as it was nowhere near my house. And dead.
No need to wonder any longer...you have Mojo to show you the light.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #37
Bearly Here

Heyyy A girl goes off for a bit and comes back and whats here. The ever charming Beverly is in the roach motel house.

As for the art of zen and cockroach maintenance...

It is a path each must travel alone. (with a big can of raid)

But, what that has to do with Mojo and this amazingly clever game is nada. It's a great adventure, a wild environment and truly original gameplay.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #38
Mostly absent

I'm off to bed now. It's 2:48 here and I have to get up in five hours.

I won't be here for the unofficial ending of this chat, so thanks to Vinny, Alex and Phill for being here and it's been a pleasure to exchange thoughts and read everything you've had to say.

As has been said earlier; you’re welcome to stop by the AG forums at anytime if you like.

Thanks once again, and take care!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #39
Bad Mojo Producer

Well, thanks to you and everyone here for putting this together.