You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures what's your favorite part of making a game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default what's your favorite part of making a game?

...apart from playing the finished product of course. I just LOVE adding Z- buffers (where you define which parts the character moves behind). Why? Because it's so easy, and it's the stage where you magically turn a flat picture into a three dimensional world. It always tickles me. Such power! Such a reward for so little effort! As a child I loved drawing pictures of exotic worlds, but now, with a few clicks of the mouse, I can magically transform a flat picture into a real place!

The other tasks - drawing the pictures, writing the code, and all the rest, can be hard work. But Z-buffers? That's when it all becomes worth the effort for me.

Anyone else?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
Dread Pirate

Coming up with the story and trying to think up puzzles that fit well into the story and gameworld. That's the best part for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've yet to actually reach this stage with any of my games, but I'm looking forward to voice recording myself. And bug testing, bizarrely - reaching the first version of the game with all features present is a huge milestone.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #4

Making the interface is really fun, I always start with that.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

Creating the story and fidning puzzles that fit it. The worst part is honing the game to perfection, there seems to be endless amounts of stuff to do.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #6

Im always really excited when I start a new game... just the working of ideas into a coherent story and game is fantastic, but then the work starts and can get quite tedius. After months of programming and looking at the same things over and over, I fnally beging voice casting. This is probably the most exciting because it is at ths point that the process gets new life! the characters suddenly personality and the months of static lines of code finally come alive! This rejuvinautes the whole experience for me, plus, I finally get to interact with live people for a change!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Up a tree

I'm gonna sound really nerdy but programming is what I love. Finding new ingenius ways of coding always excite me in a good-brain-teaser kind of way.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #8

When it's over?

I haven't actually finished a game yet, and I don't even know if I will, so I'm not real qualified, but I have probably gotten more kicks out of working with music composing for games than anything else so far. The software available for sound design in general now is totally unreal.

Mervy
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush_monkey
I'm gonna sound really nerdy but programming is what I love. Finding new ingenius ways of coding always excite me in a good-brain-teaser kind of way.
Same here, mmmm... object oriented *drool*

But really, it's like one huge puzzle that you have complete control over.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Building the installer is always nice, because it means you're only minutes away from releasing the game .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #11
Banned User

I don't make games, but if I did, i'd have to say the babes.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Funky Member

Since its all I really am good at, I would say that scoring is the best part of game creation.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #13

I like how making games allows you to switch your focus from one task to another. When I get tired of scripting, I can quit doing it and start drawing backgrounds or animating characters instead. When I get frustrated at my lack of artistic talent I can then divert my energy to writing dialogue. The variety keeps the process fresh and fun in a way that no other artistic medium allows.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
The Impostor

My favourite part is wasting all my time on little insignificant things such as writing responses to every sort of attack I can think of ("kick man" etc. as it's a text-based game).