You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #21
Up a tree

thanks for the thumbs up, Jaz

- working on the game as I'm typing, taking short breaks contributing to forums to distract myself.... So yeah, I'm making good progress
Old 07-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #22
Fire God

Glad to see more people are taking a liking to your game.

I was just wondering: would you be able to estimate how long it would take the "average" gamer to finish your game once you release the full version?

In other words, approximately how many hours of gameplay can we expect in the full version?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:05 AM   #23
Up a tree

hmmm, the size of the game is difficult to say. between random battles, optional quests, Elite-style trading between towns... I'll just say that if you don't plan to rush through it, the game will be very long. I'd approximate the first episode at about 10-15 hours for someone who plans to spend time absorbing the Valis world and its nuances. But don't quote me on that
Old 07-17-2005, 04:33 AM   #24
Up a tree

okay, time for my first weekly update:

For those of you who have played the demo, there have been changes to the world map. After (extensively) testing the new absorption ability, I have come to the conclusion that the map monsters need to be defined by their chakra types. So now, they are all the same generic spirit sprite but colour-coded so you can strategise which monster to go for.
Overall, I am very pleased with that new system, it has opened a world of potential. As far as everything else is concerned, more missions have been added, more characters to speak to in towns and this week I will be concentrating on new, different chakra powers. (In all honesty, I say that every week but I keep on putting it off Tongue I'm lazy like that Grin ).

Well, best get back to it, then.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #25
Fire God

Thanks for answering my question. I consider myself a gamer who takes his time when playing a game especially when a game is as enjoyable as yours.

Also, thanks for keeping us informed on the progress of Valis. I will be eagerly awaiting your next informative update, and as always the next updated demo (hope it comes soon, although no pressure).

Keep grinding away!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #26
Up a tree

It's this time of the week again: Weekly update time. Firstly, my dad has provided with more music which greatly enhances the overall atmosphere. Graphically, I have added 3 more rooms, new characters to talk to and introduced brand new monsters.
I have now fully plotted episode 1, and I can now roughly estimate my progress of the story at about 30% done. Apart from some major dialogue scripting, my other major piece of work is still the Chakra spells :p ...I will get round to implement them soon. I'm hoping to get a second demo out once the spells are ready just so I can get players' feedback on the overall feel of the battles. It is a very important part of the gameplay and I feel that my success in that area could make or break the game. Thank you to everyone for their positive comments. I can't stress hard enough how much they've helped me plough through this
Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #27
Up a tree

Hey all!
Sorry about the lack of updates lately, I have been busy with real life and things Valis is still on track but progressing a tad slower. I have been working on monster art a lot. I've had this sudden burst of macabre inspiration which is concretely turning into cool monsters.
I also played a lot of Galaxy Of Fantabulous Wonderment (which I highly recommend) to see how similar both games were. Thankfully, they are very different. Isn't it always the same, wish for a RPG "stroke" adventure to come out and two show up at once
Story-wise, I have been reading a lot about the Ying and Yang philosophies and sooo many ideas are forming in my head... Maybe I'll wait till episode 2 to implement them... The real trick in game-making is knowing when to stop
Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #28
Up a tree

Okay folks, my weekly update is on. Firstly: the demo is down for a while. I was using Microtech but unfortunately they have shut down temporarily, they have this system starting soon but it's not ready yet. I figured that rather than attempt to find another place to upload it to, I would just create a brand-spanking new demo. So much has been added to the mechanics of the game that I need people's opinion on the direction things are taking. So hopefully that will be out in a couple of weeks. In other news, I have yet again updated my battle system ;D . I had a brain-storm after some comments I've received about the turn-based engine and I have come up with something that while it keeps that classic FF feel, more strategy is now involved in the process. I won't say too much, people can make up their mind about it when they play the demo .

And just to tide everyone over, here's a sneak peek at my new title screen:

Old 08-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #29
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Mmmh...I don't know. I don't think the rusted look suits the setting. You'd expect the rusted metal look in a futuristic, or current RPG (like Fallout), but not in a game in a setting resembling dynastic China (or Japan? Correct me if I'm wrong...it's half 2 o'clock in the morning, and I am tired).

Still, very pretty. And I like how the black spot in the corner looks like a horned demon...with a flaming Butterfly in it's hand? (again, half 2 o'clock in the morning)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #30
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Mmmh...I don't know. I don't think the rusted look suits the setting. You'd expect the rusted metal look in a futuristic, or current RPG (like Fallout), but not in a game in a setting resembling dynastic China (or Japan? Correct me if I'm wrong...it's half 2 o'clock in the morning, and I am tired).
I agree with this sentiment. It's a nice piece of artwork, but I'm not sure that it goes well with the rest of the game ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #31
Up a tree

Thanks for the critique, guys. The darkness of the title screen is supposed to represent the true horror of the demons roaming the land in the game. I felt that while it is mentioned in-game that if encountered, they eat your soul, it never really felt that horrific. A picture is worth a thousand words and I felt this title screen was the best way to convey how dark the world had become since the demons arrived. I have taken your comments into account though. And I will try to come up with something more akin to an ancient eastern terror as opposed to techno-punk :p
Old 11-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #32
Up a tree

sorry everyone about the lack of updates lately but a nasty worm virus had corrupted all my game data. Luckily, I had back-ups. Not so luckily, I had done a lot of work since my last back-up!! It disheartened me for a while and my thirst for game making died down...But my love for programming got the better of me, and I'm back ready to tackle Valis once again. I have been making slow progress lately and largely boring behind the scene stuff (especially regarding my revitalised battle sequences...But that's still Hush-hush ) and this post is mainly to let everyone know that Valis is still going, and I will finish this, dammit!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #33
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish
This looks interesting!

I assume this game has nothing to do with the Valis series on Sega Genesis?

Or Philip K. Dick's Vast Active Living Intelligence System?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #34
Up a tree

eheh, I'll just paste my answer to this as discussed on another forum:

"the story is based upon Tao beliefs of God as divine energy and the nature of consciousness (all battles happen within the people's minds and the monsters are not corporal per se). So it seemed fitting to name the land after Philip K. Dick's novel which while set in our world very much touches upon these concepts."