You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Up a tree

Default Valis: an AGS RPG

Valis is going to be a RPG in the Final Fantasy mould. Now, I know it's not strictly an adventure game but it features adventure game elements and was created using Adventure Game Studio. AGS is not really the obvious choice for such a game, but so far it's been going surprinsingly well. The game features a world map, towns where you can visit bars, guilds, shops and other places of interest. You can equip various weapons and accessories to your characters. You fight monsters in turn-based battles and level-up your characters and their abilities (called chakras in the game).

The Story:

The story is based on the Hindu mythology of Kundalini. Kundalini is a condensed, primal force which lies dormant in us all. When released, it creates a vertical connection between 7 chakras located along our spine. Each chakra has a different property which in the game represents different powers for your characters (earth,water,fire,air,sound,light and thought). In the land of Valis, an evil force has released physical entities who use the Kundalini powers to steal human souls. They are called the Tamashii-seishin. Only those who have trained in their chakra powers can defeat them (the Ruahs). You play the role of two Ruah monks who are trying to restore order to Valis. This won't be easy because not only are the Tamashii very powerful but most Ruahs are corrupt. Knowing full well that the rest of the world depends on them, they have formed a guild which now controls everything and they are not about to let you ruin it for them!

features:
- turn-based battles
- non-linear quests with a reward system which gives you money and items depending on how well the quest went.
- town to town trading system in the Elite mould
- 12 towns to visit each with unique locations
- upgradable powers: choose how you spend your experience points Do you improve an existing power or do you save up for a brand new one?
- 7 different types of monsters and each of them with varying levels of experience to match your own strength so battles are always a challenge.
- 4 playable characters
- a gripping storyline with tons of dialogues

demo:

game files: **** NEW VERSION V1.10 updated 08.07.05****
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/G...lisDemo1.1.zip

optional music Vox files (original music created for the game)
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Games/music.zip

The demo is very short and does not include many of the features the full game will have but it is still a very good indication of where I'm headed. So any comments, suggestions, critiques are more than welcomed.

screenshots
world map

outside the temple

levelling up after battle

battle system in action
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 AM   #2
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

It sure looks promising! Please keep the sketchy looks, because it looks very original!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Up a tree

thanks for your comments, Isak. The sketchy look is here to stay Download the demo and let me know what you think
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 AM   #4
The Dude

WOW! I'm impressed! Can't wait for the game, the demo was super! Please post when the game is finished!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Up a tree

Thanks, Isak. I'm glad you liked the demo. I'll let you know of the progress I make on a regular basis. Right now, I've added new monsters, improved the battle system (including an innovative absorb technique) and added to the storyline. I have also decided to split the game in easy-to-digest episodes. Each will be about 10 hours long (depending on how much time you spend on sub-quests) and save files will be compatible between episodes.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Fire God

Awesome demo!

I really enjoyed playing it. Very refreshing concept you have going. Keep up the terrrific work.

I hope in the full version and maybe even in another updated demo, would it be possible to have a status bar during combat for the monsters? It would be nice know how much HP the enemy has remaining before its demise.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Up a tree

Thanks efreet. The ability to view the monster's HP status will be a specific chakra power you can acquire...This will be very useful once you get a chalice tp absorb monster's souls in battles. Basically, it involves weakening the monster enough so you can then absorb it into a special chalice you acquire from the shop. Once 3 monsters have been absorbed, a crystal is formed. There are multiple types of crystals. What type of crystal you get depends on what type of monster you absorb. For example: absorb 3 Fire monsters and you will receive a fire crystal. These crystals can then be traded in for money or can be used either to improve your stats or to gain new Chakra abilities.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Fire God

Thanks for answering my question, bush_monkey.

I hope you don't mind two more?

In the demo on the World Map, is it possible to get past the NPC on the left who obstructs your way. He/she mentions something about being more powerful but I'm unsure as to how powerful I need to be.

I think in the second town there is a lone warrior who won't let you join the guild unless you gain more power. How powerful do I need to be before I can join the guild. I assume for both of my questions you need to be at a specific level, and if that is the case what levels do both of the characters have to be at?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
Up a tree

Both questions are linked but unfortunately not available in the demo The guild member refers to your chakra level. As the game goes on, your chakra levels up as well. Once one chakra is mastered, another chakra can be awakened at the temple. The Guild member will only let you join once you have two chakra affiliations. And the guard will only let you go through once you are a guild member.... Once the chakra system is fully implemented (which is soon), another demo will be released. Glad you are enjoying the game
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #10
The Dude

Sounds cool!
Tow more questions if it is ok
When have you planned to release the full game and how's the progress going?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 AM   #11
Multi-dimensional avatar

This looks interesting!

I assume this game has nothing to do with the Valis series on Sega Genesis?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Up a tree

Sorry Dervish, nothing to do with that game. The name of the land is actually a nod to Philip K. Dick. The story is based upon Tao beliefs of God as divine energy and the nature of consciousness (all battles happen within the people's minds and the monsters are not corporal per se). So it seemed fitting to name the land after Philip K. Dick's novel Valis which while set in our world very much touches upon these concepts.
Isak: The game will be ready when it's ready As for progress, the game is going along very nicely. I work on it everyday and I'm proud of the progress I'm making, so hopefully the first episode should not take long to come out.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
Fire God

The demo was a very nice sample of what is yet to come. I think this game has a lot of potential and I for one am VERY eager to play the next updated demo, and/or first episode whichever comes out first.

Keep plugging away bush_monkey, your hard work is tremendously appreciated!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #14
Up a tree

Thanks for the words of encouragement Efreet. Knowing that people are enjoying my game is a tremendous feeling and is what keeps me going
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush_monkey
The story is based upon Tao beliefs of God as divine energy and the nature of consciousness (all battles happen within the people's minds and the monsters are not corporal per se).
I like that concept!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Up a tree

I thought the whole chakra ideology was a very under-used concept with a lot of potential. I did a lot of research on the subject and I hope I've brought the ideas behind it across in a positive way and hopefully in a fun way too
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #17
The Dude

How cool, and I agree, why hasen't squaresoft or some big company used this idea yet? Pity this is an underground game, more people should know about your game!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
kamikaze hummingbirds

You never know... internet underground things have grown quite big such as Weebl & Bob and more recently, Alien Hominid.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #19
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I love the demo too!

Two Thumbs up!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #20
kamikaze hummingbirds

To be honest, I wasnt really bothered when I first heard about this... but it sounds like a good idea.
I SHALL DOWNLOAD THE DEMO... TOMMOROW!
I will eat biscuits now... hang on...
...all done.