You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #1

Default 3D Engine

We're on a quest to find an excellent 3D engine. Anyone have any recommendations?

Mervy
Old 06-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This isn't going to sound particularly helpful, but the answer depends entirely on how much money you have and what programming languages you know. If you give us some idea of what you're trying to achieve and how experienced you are, we may be able to point you in the right direction .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #3

Game experience: none.

Money isn't a concern, at least at this point.

The game we're creating is a very short, experimental adventure. We agreed it would only contain four scenes. The idea is that if everything goes okay, we might develop something feature-length. We're not exactly sure what we're capable of. If we find it's too much for us, well... we tried.

Engines we looked at that we liked best were WinterMute, and we liked Scumm 7 (I think it's 7), that was used to make Curse of Money Island (Scumm is apparently a language; not an engine - but we didn't know how any of that works). This is before the graphics artist decided he wanted to go 3D.

What we will be doing is importing 3D graphics created using 3D Studio Max. We also are going to need to have full audio support - voice, sfx, music. Our graphics artist is very good with Flash. That's what we agreed on initially, because he's comfortable working in Flash, and I can also work with it. He wants to stay away from anything that requires a lot of blood and sweat. I am writing the story using the old LucasArts in-game controls, ala Day of the Tentacle.

I don't know if this helps. We are going with Flash, but we're still looking for something better.

Mervy
Old 06-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
OB

I'm using Gamestudio. It uses a scripting language, or you can go full C++ if you use their SDK. Their website looks ancient, but the engine is top of the line and improved all the time. We're expecting a new major update anyday, now.

http://www.3dgamestudio.com/

You can make just about anything with it if you can figure out how to do it with c-script.

Here's an example of a Lucasarts style adventure made with it: http://zio.echoshift.net/downloads.php

My own title will be something akin to Dreamfall, Fahrenheit, or Broken Sword 3....at least in regards to the cameras and controls.