You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Can text adventures survive?
Yes, if new media features are added, with a good story they can be interesting enough to play. 5 33.33%
No, they are the past. We need a realistic look in modern games, and graphics are important. 5 33.33%
They might; depends on how they are introduced to the players. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Text Adventures Poll

Recently simple text games have come back into consideration when talking about bringing them to different, simple devices such as mobile phones, PocketPCs and the new Apple musical device, the iPod.

With today's new technology new possibilities open that weren't present in the classical DOS era where these games were originally born. These features include adding music, illustrations and short animations to the story games, easily for the users and developers.

My question is: If storyline is such an important factor in a good game, do you think that choose-your-own-adventure games would be worth playing and making still, for future generations? In other words - can they survive?

Last edited by Kenoi; 03-28-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #2

My take on it is a bit different. I believe they can survive simply because there are people with disabilities who want to enjoy a good adventure. If a person is blind, someone can read a text to them (maybe even a pre-recorded narrator) and they can hear a background music. Also, sometimes, if someone you know is taking a long trip, and you're talking to them on the phone, it is possible to read the text to them and play a text adventure together. Those are my reasons. However, some background art in such text adventures would also be preferrable, such as in some of the old text/graphic adventure hybrids. The feeling would be like reading a book with accompanying drawings or illustrations (no, I'm not talking about kids' books). It won't be huge but it may find its little niche. Just, IMO.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #3
Game Creator Hobbyist

My answer is "Yes", without any reservations. New media is not needed. Unless you're talking about commercial sales, of course, in which case I have no comment. That's another kettle of fish, and one I know nothing about.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Dungeon Master

My view echoes the one of Trumgottist, so none of the poll options seemed appropriate, so I did not vote.

However, I am not sure you hadn't used the term "text adventures" a little too loosely, Kenoi. "Choose-your-own-adventure games", as you referred to them (and that's what iStories basically are, if the link in your signature is to be trusted), are not games per se. Not to my tastes. Naming the thread as you did, you'll probably lead many readers to believe it's actual adventure games, Infocom-style (nowadays often called Interactive Fiction), we're talking about. Although, arguably, CYOA books were one of main inspirations to create grandpa Zork et al, there's huge difference in the level of interactivity CYOA and IF offer. I for one care very little about the former, weird book/game hybrids where I can choose one of predetemined paths (and one glance at a wrong page breaks the illusion of taking part in the story). This can be done with style, but rarely (I believe adding new media may actually help here). At the same time I am an IF supporter and player, "without any reservations".
Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

They already have survived. Sort of.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
They already have survived. Sort of.
That was what I was talking about!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #7

In my opinion a text adventure game can be a CYOA, if it has multiple paths to consider for the ending and not only one of them is correct.

But you are right, I did make a mistake, and didn't take into consideration the general acceptance between the two types of text games.

IF games don't have much of a future though, in terms of being moved to other devices, simply because typing is impractical and tiring for the reader. The only way to really keep IF games alive is to use the voice recognition feature of future devices, so the player (or reader) can talk his way through while playing the game. And that too sounds wierd for public use, in my opinion.

Note: I'm going to start a new poll on whether IFs or CYOAs are more interesting.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #8

Let us not forget it was CYOA type games with video clips that nearly killed graphic adventure gaming the first time around. Your imagination is more powerful a game engine with good writing. It's in this same way that the movies psycho and silence of the lambs (see note) were scary. Most of the graphic stuff happens in your imagination. To give the player more then a Map or compass could usher in the rebirth of the dreaded INTERACTIVE MOVIE. I think using your brain power is what makes text adventure stand out from graphic adventures.

-note- The sequel to silence of the lambs is often said to be too graphic because they show you everything. It broke away so drastically in style from the first movie and most reviewers noted this as a serious flaw.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #9

I agree, Text games are never going to be huge and will probably remain in the freeware sections but I enjoy them and I know a number of others who do as well. I think they will always be around in one form or another.