View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

My view echoes the one of Trumgottist, so none of the poll options seemed appropriate, so I did not vote.

However, I am not sure you hadn't used the term "text adventures" a little too loosely, Kenoi. "Choose-your-own-adventure games", as you referred to them (and that's what iStories basically are, if the link in your signature is to be trusted), are not games per se. Not to my tastes. Naming the thread as you did, you'll probably lead many readers to believe it's actual adventure games, Infocom-style (nowadays often called Interactive Fiction), we're talking about. Although, arguably, CYOA books were one of main inspirations to create grandpa Zork et al, there's huge difference in the level of interactivity CYOA and IF offer. I for one care very little about the former, weird book/game hybrids where I can choose one of predetemined paths (and one glance at a wrong page breaks the illusion of taking part in the story). This can be done with style, but rarely (I believe adding new media may actually help here). At the same time I am an IF supporter and player, "without any reservations".