You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Underground Awards - what do YOU think should be there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default Underground Awards - what do YOU think should be there?

After the success of last year's Underground awards, we're in the process of deciding the nominations for this year. Whilst I'm not about to reveal our own views just yet (you'll have to wait for the official announcement), we're keen to take into account the views of the forumites.

So, that said, what games do you think deserve a place in our 2004 awards, be it for their storyline, puzzles, scripting, graphics or any other reason you care to mention? We'll make sure that we consider anything brought up.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

Well *yawn*... Apprentice 2. First of all, Herculen Effort has a vision of its own. They don't try to copy LucasArts or anything, the game is clearly a Herculean Effort game, and also a solid, stylistically coherent entity that doesn't change its tone over time. (Some amateur games can go from parody to serious to slapstick to a humour game in just one short cutscene, and that is rather off-putting.) They are also artistically competent. The writing is top-notch. Unlike in, say, 7 Days a Skeptic, the neutral voice of some mysterious narrator is not audible in the dialogue, but each character sounds completely unique. The soundtrack is better than in any other amateur game and better than in many commercial games (though occasionally a few of the tunes get a little repetitive). By this I mean not only the (sometimes rhytmically very clever) compositions, but also the arrangements and the production of the tracks. The game is rather short - actually just one chapter of a longer epic saga - so the story isn't that exciting, and too many of the puzzles are of the "get me the COAL and I'll give you the KEY" variety. I think Apprentice 2 has the best graphics, best music, best writing and is, all in all, the best amateur game released in 2004. /fanboy mode off

I'm beginning to think that instead of "story" being one of the general categories of game criticism, it should instead be "writing". At least to me, good writing is a lot more essential than a good story.

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-30-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

The Cirque De Zale & No Action Jackson titles were pretty good IMO, and certainly worthy of mention. And the 7 Days a Sceptic wasn't too bad, but nowhere near as solid of a title as 5 Days a Stranger.

And of course, the Apprentice 2 should sweep the whole sheabang.

SWB
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Umbilicus Mundi

Man, I haven't played a single new amateur adventure game this year, or at least finished one. I suck.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #5

Apprentice 2
Two of a Kind
7 Days a Skeptic
No Action Jackson
Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
No justice. Only me.

I haven't even played the first Apprentice yet. I'm stuck in Cirque de Zale, and I want to finish that before I start another one.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 AM   #7

Is no action jackson still in beta ? i've been waiting for the final version to come out before I download.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:32 AM   #8
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

It's in eternal beta, I don't think it will ever be 'officially released'. The version available is totally playable though (I wouldn't have reviewed it otherwise...). Some people experienced some bugs apparently, but I had no troubles myself.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
More slaw!!!

How about some love for Other Worlds?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #10

I have neither played Cirque de Zale, No Action Jackson nor Other Worlds yet - those seem to be the most critically acclaimed games this year, so I wanted to wait with them until I'm through with my finals in 3 1/2 weeks -, but the one game I truly enjoyed last year was Two of a Kind. The final puzzle could have come from a LucasArts game, and I'm sure I'll remember it for the years to come. I only wish it had been longer... didn't even take me three hours to finish (then again, most commercial games from the 90's just took me around 5-10 hours, too... at least the ones with sort-of logical puzzles and no "wandering around aimlessly because I overlooked a tiny inventory item three pixels big"-hunting).
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I'd nominate Enclosure for everything except graphics and music, which I'd nominate Apprentice II for.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #12

Default Underground Award

My vote goes to Principles of Evil, made with AGS. The young woman who made it did a bang up job and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Plus, the heroine is a hottie!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
Elegantly copy+pasted

I enjoyed Stranger by Night a lot. It does have the problem that many people's first reaction will be "It's not as good as 5 Days a Stranger."

I would imagine that the games that won the awards at The Crow's Nest (and this) should all be considered.

Maybe it's also worth mentioning The Inventory Award, although its focus is mainly commercial games and it seems blind to anything that isn't Cirque de Zale. (I liked Cirque, but in terms of gameplay it's probably the weakest of any of the 2004 favorites.) For the indie award it nominated Apprentice 2, A Case of the Crabs, Cirque de Zale, No-Action Jackson and 7 Days a Skeptic.

Last edited by After a brisk nap; 02-18-2005 at 06:49 AM.