You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
The Impostor

Default Adventure Game Engine

I am a Mac user who desperately wants to make an adventure game but I can't use adventure game studio, or for that matter, any good adventure game engine. Does anyone know if any good engines exist for Mac? I can run either OS 9 or X. I have Flash MX, but I have no idea how to make an adventure game in that and there are no tutorials on how to do it, although I did manage to make a buggy text based game.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
Dessert

Apparently, you can use the AGS editor with Virtual PC, however, i think you'd be unable to test it :/
Old 08-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
The Impostor

I wouldn't be willing to use Virtual PC, I am more interested in an alternative to AGS.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to g2-man

The only ones that come to mind are MAD and MAGE\IndyJava.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
The Impostor

The MAD engine looks pretty good, but they still haven't got around to porting it to Mac. IndyJava is pretty good, but for some reason I can't open Java apps on my OS 9 comp.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 PM   #6
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
IndyJava is pretty good, but for some reason I can't open Java apps on my OS 9 comp.
That's too bad, because Java is platform independent and runs on almost every operating system.

--Erwin
Old 08-24-2004, 03:57 AM   #7

You can try Divgamestudio.
I don't know I've you can get anywhere these days.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:08 AM   #8

You might also want to give the FACE engine a look. It's flash based so it should be cross platform. I havent really looked at it very closely, but I know it's out there and may be a solution.

http://www.face-engine.com/?newlang=eng
Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #9

Should have remembered FACE.

Just spent the afternoon trying to port MAD to linux...shouldn't be too bad, except I ported it to lua 5.0...but now the damn thing won't link and I can't understand why.

Edit: Figured it out. Working for me fine.

It should be fairly simple to compile MAD for Mac, almost certainly for OS X, but you'd need to find somebody with the hardware and inclination. I don't have the hardware unforunately. I might get in touch with powerbook owners I know.

Last edited by g2-man; 08-24-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Under pressure.

SLUDGE works like a charm on Linux, when you use WINE.

--Erwin
Old 08-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #11

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:29 PM   #12
The Impostor

I looked for divgamestudio but it seems to have dissapeared. No one's found a flash tutorial on adventure games have they?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
I looked for divgamestudio but it seems to have dissapeared. No one's found a flash tutorial on adventure games have they?
Didja ever check out the FACE engine? It's flash based nd designed specifically for adventure games. They have a tutorial on their web site as well.
http://www.face-engine.com/?newlang=eng

Ive written my own game engine from scratch in Flash, but unfortunately it isnt very user friendly at this stage, but if you are fairly competent with Action Script, it's pretty easy to create your own engine
Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #14
The Impostor

I am not great with actionscript, but with some sort of guide or tutorial, I think I could get by. Do you know any good tutorials that would help me learn enough to make my own engine? By the way, is flash a good system for adventure games? Would it be worth the effort? I want a game that can be played well in full screen. I'm worried that it might be slow or something. Also, F.A.C.E looks alright but I want to make games offline, I don't have cable
Old 08-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #15
The Impostor

The main problem I have when trying to make an adventure game in Flash MX is character movement. Most of the turorials I've found tell you how to move characters with a keyboard but not a mouse, and it is usually for top view games, so for each direction the character moves, the animation is the same. I want to learn how to have different animations for the different directions the character moves. I am also having trouble with the perspective, as in the standard semi-isometric perspective for adventure games. I have no idea where to begin with this.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:18 AM   #16

Unfortunately, I cant offer you any tutorials, but if you want an example of what flash can achieve as an adventure game, check out the ones that I have already designed:

A Case of the Crabs: http://www.otterarchives.com/bountygame.html

Brain Hotel: http://www.otterarchives.com/brainhotel/index.html
Old 08-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #17
The Impostor

Nice work on Case of the crabs! I haven't tried the other game yet but this has convinced me to try and get my game up. Now if only I wasn't actionscript illiterate On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get Java applications running in full screen mode on MAC OS X? I don't seem to have that option. I'm thinkin of trying out IndyJava.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #18
Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Mnemonic

Speaking of Java, you might want to take a look at SLAGE, a java-based engine being developed by the Space Quest 7 team. It's still under development and I don't know how usable it is ATM, but at least it's open-sorce and the authors might have some tips regarding Java games.
Just a guess...

http://www.slage.org/
Old 08-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #19
The Impostor

Thanks! I'll check it out. I like how it manages to have Simple, Lightweight AND Advanced in the name.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:09 AM   #20

Some good possibilities have been mentioned already.

Others are to use a Hypercard descendant such as Supercard or Runtime Revolution. The original Myst was done in Hypercard, more recently "Alida" was done initially in Supercard for the Mac then ported to Runtime Revolution for the PC release.

Another option is to use Python with pygame (the approach being taken by the "Ages of Ilathid" team.)

Great to hear of amateur game activity on the Mac!