You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default 5 Days a Stranger

Recently I've gotten to play the new Yahtzee adventure game, 5 Days a Stranger, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint.

If you've seen the movie Identity, that gives you a brief idea of what the story's like. 5 people are trapped in a large house, and strange things begin to happen...

If you like horror/mystery games, you're not going to be disappointed. This one is intelligent, well written, and unlike most horror games, can be somewhat creepy.

I recommend you play it this instant.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I second this endorsement. It's definitely up to Yahtzee's usual standards.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-12-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
Recently I've gotten to play the new Yahtzee adventure game, 5 Days a Stranger, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint.

If you've seen the movie Identity, that gives you a brief idea of what the story's like. 5 people are trapped in a large house, and strange things begin to happen...

If you like horror/mystery games, you're not going to be disappointed. This one is intelligent, well written, and unlike most horror games, can be somewhat creepy.

I recommend you play it this instant.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
Yeah, I've seen Identity. I really liked the concept of that movie, too bad the last quarter was a bit disappointing.

Yahtzee's games are notorious for his witty writing so I'm sure this one won't disappoint as well.

--Erwin
Old 10-13-2003, 05:17 AM   #4
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I must say I'm very impressed, it was longer than I expected and had quite good graphics. And it had an enjoyable plot; and a great selection of puzzles. Definately agree with the endorsements.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-13-2003, 06:40 AM   #5
Liver of Life

Downloaded it a long time back but haven't gotten about to playing it yet

This weekend, surely
Old 10-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
Downloaded it a long time back
It came out like two weeks ago

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #7
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
It came out like two weeks ago
Two weeks ago is a long time back.

What I meant was that I downloaded it the moment I heard of it, which was day 1 or 2, but haven't had the chance to play it yet
Old 10-25-2003, 12:46 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Hiro Protagonist

I was really impressed w/ the way the game turned out. I was expecting a comedy considering the source, but it turned out to be a really nice story - although the final comments from Trilby were a lot more along the sarcastic lines that I initially expected. Anyone who hasn't played this game yet needs to download it immediately or face my relatively ineffective wrath...
Old 10-26-2003, 02:44 PM   #9
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Great game, though I have sound issues with Windows AGS games and thanks to it, I found out that Yahtzee finally finished the Arthur Yahtzee series {last I saw he was at Act 2 of the third game, "Yesterday"}

Hope Trilby comes back somehow. A shame to waste such a great character like that.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:45 AM   #10

I too loved 5 Days - downloaded it last week and played it through in 2 very long sittings. It was the first underground adventure I've ever played, and I was completely blown away by the quality of the story and the writing. The puzzles were pretty good too, in fact, it has immediately launched itself into my personal top 3 AGs of all time. Woo!

On a side note, I also downloaded the 3 Yahtzee games, and was wondering what order I'm meant to play them in?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:17 AM   #11

first 1, then 2, then 3

actually it depends if you're talking about the 'Arthur Yahtzee' games, which are a series, and should be played in order (I distinctly remember them being numbered when I played them) or the games made by the bloke whose nickname is Yahtzee, in which case he has way more than 3, and if the ones you downloaded aren't numbered they are almost certainly the standalone ones, ie play them in any order. Give us the names to be sure, tho.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:21 PM   #12

Well, there are three games in the Rob Blanc series. If you're talking about those, which are probably his best-known titles, they're labeled I, II, and II for your convenience. Besides that, Yahtzee has released The Trials of Odysseus Kent, obviously 5DAS, and the Arthur Yahtzee games (of which there are three).

Tamara: what do you mean "Arthur Yahtzee" games OR "the games made by the bloke whose name is Yahtzee"? The bloke whose name is Yahtzee IS responsible for the Arthur Yahtzee games.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:49 PM   #13
Doctor Watson

In any case, Ytzhatzatzaa is an idiot. Or a strange new force in the irony front. If he tries to be ironic, I can't understand his style, at least.

But the game was rather creepy.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #14

Hmm...I confess that I didn't care much for the Rob Blanc series.And I don't like the guy's style of humour.But somehow, I enjoyed 5 Days a Stranger.I can't actually figure out what made me like the game.Since most of it was banal.Maybe it was the air of mystery surrounding the protagonist.Maybe it was his unconventional character.Or maybe it was the nice and slow pace of the game.Or maybe that I was a little too desperate for a mystery.
I think he went a little overboard with the supernatural stuff though.And I do hope that Trilby makes a reappearance.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor

Tamara: what do you mean "Arthur Yahtzee" games OR "the games made by the bloke whose name is Yahtzee"? The bloke whose name is Yahtzee IS responsible for the Arthur Yahtzee games.
I know that; I thought that was obvious from my answer. However your perspective makes a big difference, whether you're talking about the 3 yahtzee games, or about the games in general made by Croshaw, but not those 2 in particular. Since she mentioned the '3 Yahtzee games' I was trying to clarify which 3 games we were talking about; the Arthur Yahtzee games, or the games made by Ben Croshaw, in which case she would be making a mistake by saying there were 3. Only once we know which she was referring to, could we correctly answer her question.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:40 AM   #16
Umbilicus Mundi

I really liked 5 Days a Stranger! Probably the best amateur adventure game I've played.

PS. To ask a more complicated question: In which order should the Reality-on-the-Norm games be played? I haven't played any of them for more than a year and I just looked at the list -- there's about 40 games now (didn't count but seemed about that much). ( www.junk.dk/reality )
Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
I really liked 5 Days a Stranger! Probably the best amateur adventure game I've played.

PS. To ask a more complicated question: In which order should the Reality-on-the-Norm games be played? I haven't played any of them for more than a year and I just looked at the list -- there's about 40 games now (didn't count but seemed about that much). ( www.junk.dk/reality )
Heh. There's more like 60 games now, Erkki. Your best bet is to play them in the order they were released.

-Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #18

Default Comments & walkthru

I only just now noticed this thread & Dave Gilbert's review. I posted on the 'main' Adventure Forum (http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ead.php?t=1239).

I've written a couple of dozen walkthru's & this one was posted only today.
(You experts doubtless don't need walkthrus ... but you might be surprised at how many folk do. Some won't even buy or even play a Freeware game if a walkthru is not posted somewhere ... believe it or not !! )
Old 12-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #19
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki

Dave is correct, but if it seems intimidating, know that there are DEFINITELY some skippable games. Most of the games made with other engines tend to be pretty crappy, and as a personal preference I find the games made by Mostly and Tobias to be nonsensical experiences in frustration rather than any sort of essential story progression. So skip those, if you really want to catch up.

But if you sit down for four or five hours on a Saturday, you can probably play through the first fifteen or so games, and then you'll have momentum.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 12-10-2003, 01:46 AM   #20
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Anything by Dave Gilbert, Grundislav or that AdventureGameAficionado guy are well worth playing ¬_¬