You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Is there enough ppl here to start a adventure game using AGS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 11:51 PM   #1

Default Is there enough ppl here to start a adventure game using AGS?

Just figured as we all like adventure games and like them so much I was woundering are there enough skilled ppl here. As in programers/writers/artists and so on to make a small game that we all contribute to. To make a good adventure game that we are all craving for that has everything in it?

Just an idea but would be cool to do, dont u think?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Just figured as we all like adventure games and like them so much I was woundering are there enough skilled ppl here. As in programers/writers/artists and so on to make a small game that we all contribute to. To make a good adventure game that we are all craving for that has everything in it?

Just an idea but would be cool to do, dont u think?
Adventure writing, like any form of art, is usually written in dank rooms under very compressed time... I doubt if a community can write it online.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
guybrush_guy

it would be nice if we can get it down, but i dont think thats possible.......

Old 07-01-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

It's a nice thought. If it were to work, everything (the jobs of writing, art, programming, etc.) would have to be very specific to each individual-- the entire community couldn't all pitch in on one thing.

Besides, in fan-made adventure games it's hard to include everything people want. We'd need a crap load of money for that.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

There is already about a dozen people around working on some five or so games. Nothing collective though. I am against the idea, quite frankly; it sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Doctor Watson

And the best thing about working on your own is that if your project gets cancelled or postponed, only your own time has been wasted. And since the project has gotten cancelled, you probably really even haven't wasted that much time.

Never, never, never EVER start a game project unless you have an idea of what you are doing. I was in such a team many, many years ago. It was ghastly.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:22 AM   #7

Well personally i want to make a Knightmare game thats a 2d game but with a 3d look, although i can probably do the gfx somewhat i cant program to save my life lol so i need someone who can do the programing side. Still i wounder how hard it would be to use that AGS and is it free or is a shop bought item? If it is are there any simplistic adventure game making programs i could use?

Sounds like a long shot but i have limited knowlage in this area lol so any help would be appreciative.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:14 AM   #8

Yes, you can use AGS - it's free. I'm sure you'd be able to learn some basic scripting, and if you get stuck the AGS forums can probably help you.

If you want help from other people, follow the advice from the AGS forums - you need to have something to show for yourself first. No-one is going to waste their time joining you just because you have this great idea for a game. Put your ideas into writing. Write up a storyline for your adventure. Do some concept graphics at least. If you're not fed up yourself by now, then it's time to start asking if anyone would like to help you out.

I highly recommend you read the Adventure Architect series right here on AdventureGamers.com. It contains lots of invaluable advice.

Next, maybe you should try to download AGS and go through the tutorials to set up a very basic adventure game so that you get a feel for what it takes.

Last but not least: Good luck!

--
Tarjei
Old 07-02-2004, 03:20 AM   #9

Well it would be a direct conversion from tv to game. So those that know the tv show knows what i want it to be like.

Scipting for homeworld 2 was impossible mainly that i didnt understand how to do a thing cos scripting is very weird to do to me.

Whats the best way to learn scripting i would love to be taught it at a collage but i dont think they teach u that where i live.

Thanks for the info and encouragment
Old 07-02-2004, 06:13 AM   #10
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
And the best thing about working on your own is that if your project gets cancelled or postponed, only your own time has been wasted. And since the project has gotten cancelled, you probably really even haven't wasted that much time.
Agreed, but the only problem with working on your own is the lack of, um, help. I've tried to make many-a-game by myself--- horrid.

Quote:
Never, never, never EVER start a game project unless you have an idea of what you are doing. I was in such a team many, many years ago. It was ghastly.
Been there also. Our peak was five or six character sketches, an excellent background concept art, and script that stunk to high heaven like a fried egg sandwich rotting in a warm refridgerator stuck in the sahara desert with a fur coat strapped to it. The kind of fur coat that makes an eskimo suit look like a pair of hot pants.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #11
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122
Agreed, but the only problem with working on your own is the lack of, um, help. I've tried to make many-a-game by myself--- horrid.
Funny... The only help I feel like I need is graphics. Maybe I'm just cocky... Interestingly enough, had I started learning to draw back when I got interested in amateur adventure games, I probably would be a decent "artist" now!

Quote:
Been there also. Our peak was five or six character sketches, an excellent background concept art, and script that stunk to high heaven like a fried egg sandwich rotting in a warm refridgerator stuck in the sahara desert with a fur coat strapped to it. The kind of fur coat that makes an eskimo suit look like a pair of hot pants.
You were lucky. We didn't even have a script. The leader... I mean, the leader has such a major responsibility of everything. What he designed first was the INTERFACE! And thought that that would be enough to get us going... *sigh*

Spoiler:
P.S. AGS claims another victim. *sigh*

Last edited by deadworm222; 07-02-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:23 AM   #12

I've worked on some small games all by myself and the toughest thing about it is finding the time and staying focused on actually finishing your game. My artwork skills aren't so great, but I can make graphics that look like the old AGI-era Sierra games.

Haven't tried doing a graphic adventure, but have thought about it for some time. I remember trying AGS with the tutorial and making a simple little room, but grew frustrated with the lack of tutorials on how to script conversations and puzzles-- although I imagine more tutorials are online for this sort of thing.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:54 AM   #13

Well it appears alot easier than i thought as most of the things are easy to do and i have made a simple intro screen and 2 rooms.

The 1st room is a quick scibble in photoshop to just try the basics of room creation and the HELP secion in the editor helped loads especially the tutorial bits.

The 2nd room is alot better but rather plain as i found out im crap at trying to draw stuff but im alot better modeling in lightwave and render the objects that way. So i guess i will pre render all my stuff. All i gotta do now is think of what to put in but as knightmare is so random i recon just going with the flow and doing one room at a time will be my best bet. And think up a good interface design and get some 3d models that i can use off the net for the characters and animation and then just think about the quests.

The only thing i find daunting tho is that since i am making my own game i would always know how to complete it and therefore i wouldnt get the challange or thrill as i would from playing a game by someone else. Still its cool so far.