You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Which type of "modding" would you prefer..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Programmer

Send a message via MSN to Halloko
Default Which type of "modding" would you prefer..?

Hyy all,

I'm currently making an adventure system which includes an editor which I aim at releasing together with the engine.
However, I have a minor design issue which I'd like to get some seasoned adventure gamers' comments on.

Imagine you're creating your own adventure in the adventure editor. Now, there are two ways this could be done:
1. Using only GUI, that is, only mouse to make the adventure (and keyboard for dialog etc. of course). That said, all actions can be made without any knowledge of scripting languages or anything, but simply selected from e.g. combo boxes.
2. Actions are made by actually writing scripted code. That is, you code what is going to happen.

If you were to do your own adventure game, which editor design would you prefer?

Huge thanks in advance,
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

i would actually perfer both, i have no idea how to use scripting code and always wanted to learn. if there was some way you can use a gui system but also view the scripting code, im sure that it would make learning this much better. eventualy once the user gets the hang of the code then he can swich to a more customisable gui system or just use scripting code by itself

Old 05-24-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Programmer

Hey,

Thanks for your input.

I've got the same suggestion (both GUI and scripting) from several persons now and it might be the best solution actually.
I mean, the newbies can simply just create their adventure using some pre-defined actions while the more serious users can dig down in the actual scripting and make the game behave exactly as they want.

And hey, it makes me delve into scripting as well Been waiting for an opportunity like this for some time now.. heh
Old 05-24-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Do remember to keep us updated on your project, and good luck!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
Programmer

I will, I will.
Won't miss a chance to show my team's work (and to brag about it..heheee)
Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Headbanger

Halloko, you really are the god of programmers. But you don't go to MSN to often (unlike me that is ).
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 AM   #7
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Halloko, you really are the god of programmers. But you don't go to MSN to often (unlike me that is ).
What ya mean? You're the one being offline for a month

And if you're referring to my downtime the past few days it's because I'm reading up on the scripting system I'm about to implement in the engine