You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures AGD Interactive unveils King's Quest 3 Redux

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #21

Yeah, unfortunately, Benson's agent only gave us the options of paying the same fee a multi-million dollar game project would pay or forgetting about it. The fact that this was a non-profit project didn't really seem to make a difference.

Quote:
I have yet to play the 2nd remake, so what type of additions are we talking about?
The original KQ2 had very little in-game story, basically being a bare-bones treasure hunt. KQ2+ added a town and a history to the land and it also fleshed out the plot significantly. It did take a good deal of liberty with some of the characters, so if you're a fan of the original...you'll either like it or you won't.

KQ3's story had a lot more substance, so instead the story itself is unchanged and the characters' roles haven't been changed. Essentially the whole thing's been given more personality. Instead of an NPC throwing a oneliner at you when you speak to him, you'll actually have a conversation with him. We added bits and pieces here and there, but we've kept the story itself the same.

I'd like to give examples of additions, but that'd be spoiling things.

One thing I'll say is that we've tried making a few gameplay aspects of KQ3 we considered potentially frustrating less frustrating. (however, the time-based element is still there)

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #22
Stalker of Britain

That sounds amazing; I will definetly be playing your KQ2, and be looking for your KQ3.

There were some slightly annoying parts of KQ3, but for me it was mostly the timed things. I'm hoping you mean you've changed falling off the walk down from the house, or the amount of time you have to wait in the ship.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #23

Quote:
There were some slightly annoying parts of KQ3, but for me it was mostly the timed things.
The wizard still leaves and checks in on you later, forcing the player to plan his moves and cover his tracks. We thought that was kind of an important element so we kept it in. It just wouldn't be KQ3 without it.

Quote:
I'm hoping you mean you've changed falling off the walk down from the house, or the amount of time you have to wait in the ship
Yup, those parts have been adressed to be more player-friendly.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
Stalker of Britain

Yeah, I totally agree. The timed elements are very vital to what KQ3 was, so I completely understand keeping them in...as long as you addressed the others. I remember waiting in that stupid boat for at least an hour in real time, thinking my game was broken.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #25

Ya, KQ3 was the first game I've played from series and I agree the most difficult part was with the wizard!

But it a great game although!

So it really AGD last remake on series?
What changed?

Regards
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #26

Yep, it's AGDI's final remake. We can't really afford to keep spending all our free time making free remakes that won't earn us a single nickel. You can't pay bills with fan praise.

As for what changed...it's less of a radical overhaul than KQ2 since KQ3's story was already a significant step up from its predecessor. We've polished things up...graphics look like a million times better, full voice pack that's very close to KQ6 in terms of quality, a soundtrack that contains plenty of new tunes, but also enhanced versions of the old AGI ditties you remember from the original and some gameplay changes to eliminate a few of the less user-friendly aspects of the original. Plus a few additional surprises.

Can't spoil too much.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #27

Default release date?

does anyone know the exact release date? thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #28

I do, but I'm not allowed to mention it until it's a 100% certain. Certainly before the end of this month though.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #29

We're aiming the release date at the evening of February the 23rd...so it's very soon.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #30
Freeware Co-ordinator

I take it you're allowed to mention it now then. Looking forward to seeing it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #31

And it's released. Get it at http://www.agdinteractive.com

Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #32
Senior *female* member

Played it for half an hour. Love it, although generally speaking I'm not too fond of narrators.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #33
Schattenjäger

woo i cant wait to get a chance to play it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #34

Hey Erpy, I missed those different faces in your posts! I spent a lot of time over at the AGD forum when QfG2 was being made/released. I've downloaded and installed KQ3-redux and hope to be playing soon. I too had a lot of trouble with the original, the timed events and getting caught with the wrong objects. My least favorite KQ game Perhaps your work will make me change my mind

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #35

"Schrijvertje", eh? Yeah, I remember you. Dutch usernames tend to stick.

Many of the key elements of the original have been retained including the wizard's timed schedule and his overreaction to forbidden items, but we've gone out of our way to make the whole experience more enjoyable and less frustrating.

It's pretty clear which items you shouldn't be carrying around your master and it's possible to get a general idea of when to start covering your tracks without having to die in order to learn the wizard's schedule. We've eliminated dead ends from the game, added a handful of new puzzles to keep things fresh, eliminated the need to just stand there and wait for timed events to happen and most of the mountain paths aren't nearly as narrow anymore.