You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Community Project (reposted)

People aren't too excited about this idea in Chit-Chat. I was actually serious about this! All right, here's original post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ninja had us designing a character communally, a plush-toy wombat. This got me to thinking--could we take pictures of toys, so as to animate them, and make a communall amateur adventure game? What's the one toy everyone has from their childhood? That's right! LEGOS!

So here's the plan: we brainstorm on a story, construct lego rooms to use as backgrounds, animate LEGO characters, and put together a game! Who's with me?!

<-- (That's me panning myself in excitement)

What you would need to do for the project as an animator is be willing to repaint your LEGO characters, so we could animate speech and emotions. And, as a background artist, put together various structures that are needed for the story. The attached picture is an example of a redone LEGO character (I myself don't have any LEGOS left over, so I did this in paint) : a psycho murderous LEGO zombie freak!

Here's one idea for a story: a psycho(I like that word )thriller about a serial killer, replete with gorily textured LEGO characters, and a cool noir detective!

I forgot the name for my story idea: "LEGO of me, you psycho!" :eek:

Anyway, let's get this show on the road: Feel free to post sample art & story ideas!
Attached Images

Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-21-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

how about a war in acient times using greeks and romans. the greeks are the lego's and the romans are the k'nex and the gods are the almighty linken-logs

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 03-21-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

Sooo...Your idea is a LEGO rts? Quite an "OCKWARD" idea, if you ask me

Old 03-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

ehhh, yeah i guess. but it would be a cool RTS

but it does'nt nessicarly have to be a RTS,think of warcraft adventures. that was a series of RTS's and an adventure game was maid out of it, sadly noone ever got to play it.

the community project could be split in 3 parts the gods, the romans, and the greeks. each team will be incharge of coming up with a mini adventure. then we put together all 3 and make one ginat UBER adventure

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 03-21-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:55 AM   #5

A community game isn't a bad idea, but producing a game is a lot more time consuming than you think if you haven't done it before... If you had a group of people where one person did the character/item art, one person did the background art, one person did the writing/puzzle design, and one person did the sound effects and music, it might be more organized than people doing a game a piece, although that idea's not bad either.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
A community game isn't a bad idea, but producing a game is a lot more time consuming than you think if you haven't done it before... If you had a group of people where one person did the character/item art, one person did the background art, one person did the writing/puzzle design, and one person did the sound effects and music, it might be more organized than people doing a game a piece, although that idea's not bad either.
I know it must be very time consuming...That's why I think an extensive world such as LEGO would shorten the process substantially, as far as graphics go. I also understand the need for a centralized design team to direct the community team members. I have no experience with this kinda thing, so I was hoping people who have already produced games would take the banner on this one.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #7

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing the idea... If it came off negative, I'm sorry.

Ah, I didn't understand the LEGO idea until re-reading that... It's clever and would give a unique look to the product; the only tricky thing would be to get the animation for walking to look good.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

you did'nt sound negative at all, what you were saying makes sence.