You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
True blue adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Anyone used TGE?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone here has used the Torque Game Engine (TGE), which, I just found out last night, was released for general-use purposes by a group of former Sierra/Dynamix employees some time back. A good friend of mine is the art director for the KQ9 project, and he told me last night that his team recently decided to switch engines, from Crystal Space to TGE.

I used to be involved with KQ9 (in fact, I was the project's co-founder), but I have not worked with the team for almost two years. It's a long story, and I'm afraid it could change people's opinion of KQ9, so I won't elaborate any further. However, I am, as I've mentioned in a few of my posts in the other forum sections, working on a completely new fantasy adventure. Think of it as a mix between the fairy-tale atmosphere of KQ, the profoundness of TLJ (but not heavy), and the humor of MI or QfG. It's a longshot, but the project's ultimate goal is to serve as the gateway to building a modern version of what Sierra once was.

Up to now, my co-designer and I had been eyeing 3D Game Studio to build the game, but, intrigued, I downloaded a copy of the TGE technical demo from GarageGames, and it seems very impressive. I e-mailed some questions, and who should almost instantly reply but Jeff Tunnell himself (TIM, 3D Ultra). It's really cool that I'm making some connections with the company I ultimately want to emulate; we've already got some former Sierra talent on our side, and now this.

Anyway, since no trial edition of TGE is offered, I wanted to see if anyone here has used it. My game is still in its relative infancy, so we won't be deciding which engine to use for a while, but I just want to keep my options open so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

Luke