You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Underground Scenes of the Week - 21 May 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
Elegantly copy+pasted

Default Underground Scenes of the Week - 21 May 2007

To be perfectly honest, I know pretty much nothing about this game. I picked it out of a Top 10 list of Underground games. I could say that it's because I don't want the scenes to be completely skewed towards games that Squinky or I have played, but really it's because I'm traveling and don't have time to think of something.

So, has anyone played it?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Under pressure.

I've seen that screenshot before... I might've played it a long time ago, I'm not sure.

--Erwin
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
I changed my title

I played it halfway through a while ago.
I remeber most of the humor was pretty dark, since the game is about the world after a nuclear bomb or something, there's a lot of bad taste.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

This game is quite the darling in the Underground scene, though at times I'm not quite sure why. I myself found it charming, but not really that exceptional.

Then again, I haven't played the sequel, nor have I played the deluxe version.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Under pressure.

I suppose it's because of its production values. It's a short game, not overly original and groundbreaking, but it's polished. Polished games are quite a rarity in professional games, let alone in the "underground scene". Not only the graphics and animation, but also the dialogue writing and music. And good dialogue is, again, a rarity.

It could've easily been a LucasArts title from 1994. (If it actually was a game, and not a glorified demo, that is)

--Erwin
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

How many other games have rennet-based puzzles?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Elegantly copy+pasted

I'm not sure the image will work, otherwise you'll have to click the link. Mike Rubin, the developer, contacted me about this game. It's still not definitely decided whether it will be an Underground or indie title, but it's based on the free IF game (text-adventure) Vespers, so I guess that qualifies.

It seems like the IF and the avdenture game communities don't have much contact, which I suspect is a shame. Cross-overs like this might possibly bring them closer together.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
It seems like the IF and the avdenture game communities don't have much contact, which I suspect is a shame. Cross-overs like this might possibly bring them closer together.
I agree. While I haven't played all that many IF games (I have a bit of trouble with the parser interface, as well as the spatial reasoning required to map out locations), I'm really interested in some of their innovations, such as puzzleless gameplay.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

I haven't played Vespers, despite its acclaim (I have played almost no IFs from the last couple of years, which is silly for someone who likes them a lot), but this remake surely looks nice. Will it be an "illustrated text adventure" (as the parser boxes in the lower part of the screenshot imply), or will the graphical interface be also implemented?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
(I have a bit of trouble with the parser interface, as well as the spatial reasoning required to map out locations)
I assume you tried some one-room games, then, in which the latter issue should not be a problem?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #10

Oooh, I really enjoyed Vespers, despite a few silly puzzles. Would love to see a 3D remake of it.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #11

Thanks for putting that up, Brisk. Much appreciated.

It's an FPS-style 3D game that also uses text input and output. It does allow a certain degree of point-and-click as well.