You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #1

Default Open source adventure project

Hi all,

I've been a fan of adventure games since the first time I played one, the first Broken Sword. Also I’m a programmer and I have been making amateur games for many years, recently I decided to start an adventure game project in my spare time.

The game is currently untitled and has only small draft of story. The game would have a mystic/conspiracy feel to it like: Broken Sword series, Gabriel Knight series, Angels and Demons (book), The Da Vinci code, The Ninth Gate (book/movie).

Player will be a graduate of archeological college, and is set of to his first field work in some exotic (location undecided jet) excavation site to assist and learn from an older acclaimed archeology expert/professor/doctor, you arrive late at night and only get a quick chance to meet the professor who was very excited about today discoveries, and then you go to sleep in your tent. The weird noises coming from the professors tent wake you up in the in the middle of the night, like he was moving something big, but you fall to sleep before you can check what is happening.
The morning after you are woken up by professor, with the assignment for you, but nothing you hoped for, he said that they had problem with communications, probably because of low battery/accumulator, and he asked you to go to town and pick a new one up since everyone else have they jobs and the regular driver is laying in some ditch drunk. You were very frustrated and said something like, “I’ve been going 5 years to college just to be a delivery boy” in low voice, but you did the assignment any way.
When returning from the town with a new battery you hear shots and screams, and in panic by accident lose control of the car and drive in the woods and manage to jump of the car before it crashed into the tree. You than run to check what I happening on the site, when you come close you hear laud voice asking professor something like: “Where is it? Where is the second [something]?” And professor replaying: “I don’t know! I really don’t have it!” Next thing that was heard was a shot that killed the professor. You come closer and see the killer is approached by one of his men, and saying that they searched every thing but found nothing. The killer replied: “Than burn it all down!”, and he turned and left.

Here you get control of the game starts, you go to the site after the fire stops and the killers leave. The story after that is... you find the second piece ... you then meet with and expert in town (cute lady expert ) ... but you are found by those man and must escape with her ... you mange to run from them and leave the country by plane, then in your college/institute you discover something about the second piece ... on your way to new location your friend get captured ... and you will have to trade second piece for her ... but you manage to trick them and get both ... you then rent a boat and travel to a small island ... find the 3rd piece ... and when arriving to the last location, castle, you are captured and your pieces stolen ... you are about to be sacrificed and the whole story unfolds... then you manage to survive and live happily ever after.

I currently have the tech demo of the game that I made in two days (c++ , OpenGL). To access the inventory move cursor to right part of screen. You can’t do anything but walk around.
Screenshot:

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/29626045/td.zip.html

If you like this idea you can join the project, you can help in any way, with story, with concept art, art, it will be open source so you can help with that too.

Also the graphic style will be similar to Broken sword I & II.

You can contact me on MSN: [email protected]

Last edited by cro_programmer; 05-05-2007 at 06:50 AM.