You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures new to the underground scene...what should i play?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #1

Default new to the underground scene...what should i play?

Out of the blue, there seem to be so many graphic adventure games already developed! I'm ecstatic about this, but...I want to know where my time is best spent

So far I've played all of Rob Blanc, Yahtzee, Larry Vales, space quest: replicated, 5 days a stranger, out of order, and everything Tierra

Are there any great freeware adventures I'm missing out on?

~CP
Old 01-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
Retirement is stupid

Space Quest: The Lost Chapter is far superior to Replicated. Aftershocked! and Ozzie and the Quantum Playwright are two fantastic AGAST games.

We'll be announcing our 2003 Underground Awards nominations next week, that will give you some good ideas.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 01-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

If you want a nice itemized list of some good AGS games that have been released this year, check out the AGS Awards Nominees:
http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/2003.htm

Voting for the awards themselves is currently underway and will finish on the 31st of this month.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Umbilicus Mundi

I'd also recommend a really short game "6 Day Assassin". I think the name comes from the fact that the game was made in just 6 days. And it IS short - can be completed in about half an hour I think.
But what's good about it is because the game is so small there has been more time spent on writing lines for many possible interactions. So you often get a good explanation why something doesn't work instead of "This doesn't work".

Old 01-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #5

I've never understood why people don't add lots of comments for possible interactions. It's the easiest possible part of designing a game, and it's fun. When I was making my demo [and yes, eventually, I will finish the full game] I would write comments in between being stuck, say, on a difficult piece of scripting. It helps ease your block and makes your game better to boot .. what more could you want?
Old 01-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Yeah, I agree totally, Tamz. Writing hotspot interactions is one of the most fun parts of designing a game. In the early days before AGS expanded the amount of possible hotspots in a room I would quite often run out. I would add interactions for every vaguely interesting item in a room.

As for good games, take a look at these. Most of them are really good. Oh, and don't forget to play these
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I think you should first play nominated games for awards, as remixor said. TCn Awards AGS Awards
Old 01-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I've never understood why people don't add lots of comments for possible interactions. It's the easiest possible part of designing a game, and it's fun. When I was making my demo [and yes, eventually, I will finish the full game] I would write comments in between being stuck, say, on a difficult piece of scripting. It helps ease your block and makes your game better to boot .. what more could you want?
Agreed completely. Before my game was destroyed, I would just add extra descriptions and interactions whenever I had some free time. It adds character and it's fun, and it doesn't even require much work at all. Makes me wonder what went wrong with Syberia...

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-18-2004, 02:07 AM   #9
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Agreed completely. Before my game was destroyed, I would just add extra descriptions and interactions whenever I had some free time. It adds character and it's fun, and it doesn't even require much work at all. Makes me wonder what went wrong with Syberia...
Perhaps it was the cost of paying actors to say those extra lines, and then having them translated into many other languages, with more actors being needed. Only a guess, but we all agree that it would have been better, and more fun.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:12 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Quote:
You're totally right. I also add a lot of extra animation for the main character. And I try to avoid the standard 'I can't use these things together' line as much as possible. Instead the character will try to do the action, with sometimes funny results. Details are important and add a lot to the experience.

The downside is a lot of recorded speech for the main character.

(I hope you have some lots of spare time in the future, Tom King )

--Erwin
Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 AM   #11
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but how was your game destroyed, remixor? Hard disk failiure?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #12

My game isn't hugely inventory-based, so I don't really have that problem. But yeah. One reason it took me so long to get the thing done was that I tried to anticipate every single action a player could do in every possible order, and made the game world reflect that. No-one ever notices these things unless I show them, but they would if they weren't there. I've got the itch to start writing again, incidentally. Once these exams are done [feb 16th] I wanna start doing the game again.

Oh, and Erwin, when are we going to record? I don't use the hotmail address, so don't contact me there.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #13
Under pressure.

Quote:
My game isn't hugely inventory-based, so I don't really have that problem. But yeah. One reason it took me so long to get the thing done was that I tried to anticipate every single action a player could do in every possible order, and made the game world reflect that. No-one ever notices these things unless I show them, but they would if they weren't there.
Working on these little details is very satisfying for me. Everything feels more 'finished'. You know, I'm even optimalising the code now. My 'programming' is very messy and even though everything works and the player won't see one line of code, I still want it to be 'clean'. I'm just weird that way

Quote:
Oh, and Erwin, when are we going to record? I don't use the hotmail address, so don't contact me there.
I'm almost ready, and I'll contact you soon at your 'onvol' address, okay?

--Erwin
Old 01-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but how was your game destroyed, remixor? Hard disk failiure?
Yep, my HD broke. Literally broke. One of the brackets supporting it fell off and the hd was physically damanged. Toshiba tech support was fast and free, but I lost all the stuff I had on that drive.

Old 01-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Yep, my HD broke. Literally broke. One of the brackets supporting it fell off and the hd was physically damanged. Toshiba tech support was fast and free, but I lost all the stuff I had on that drive.
Oh shit, how did that happen? Did you transport your PC?

The reason I'm asking is because of this: I don't have enough room to decently put this new HD into my PC (I use it as a server). It already has two HD's, which are taking up all the room.

I managed to attach it with only ONE screw. It's pretty stable, as long as I don't kick or move my server too enthousiastic.

--Erwin
Old 01-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #16

I have no idea. I transport it fairly regularly between school and home, but I'm very careful with it, and the problem didn't begin until it had already been stationary for probably two months. Go figure.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Working on these little details is very satisfying for me. Everything feels more 'finished'. You know, I'm even optimalising the code now. My 'programming' is very messy and even though everything works and the player won't see one line of code, I still want it to be 'clean'. I'm just weird that way
That's not weird at all. (Or maybe I'm only saying saying that beacuseI'm the same.) A creative person should be a bit of a perfectionist. Just don't take it to extremes and get too bogged down by the details...
Old 01-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #18
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Anyone ever play the Time Quest demo? For a fan-made adventure game (made in the old Sierra style ala Space Quest: The Lost CHapter), it was dang decent and had fairly good puzzles.

Ah, here we go. Found its homepage...
http://chadgoulding.port5.com/

Wait, there's a 2nd demo out? Cool beans!

Sky Warrior Bob