You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures How big can a demo be? 50 MB? 500 MB?

View Poll Results: What is the biggest acceptable demo for a casual visitor?
under 5 MB 0 0%
5-10 MB 0 0%
10-20 MB 2 4.55%
20-50 MB 7 15.91%
50-200 MB 8 18.18%
over 200 MB 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default How big can a demo be? 50 MB? 500 MB?

Further to recent threads, I am wondering how big is "acceptable" for a demo? My finished game will be around 600 MB. Maybe 500 minimum. The simplest way for me to make a demo would be to just disable a few parts, but that would mean the demo was 500 MB.

A major selling point of this game is the huge game world: right from the start the user can explore hundreds of locations. At the start you can walk north, south, east, west, enter buildings, etc., and just keep going. But all of this takes up disk space. The more that I cut out, the less interesting the game becomes. I could probably work out some compromise, allowing the first chapter of the game but blocking off a lot of streets, then adding a slideshow of the rest. But I need to balance freedom and file size.

I wonder, what is an acceptable size for a demo for a casual user?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
In an evening of July...

Demos of many current games are 1 GB and above, people are getting used to it. I'd rather not just "disable" parts of the final game but let them out completely though, since a demo containing the full game inside is just too tempting not to try and "unlock" the extra content.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #3

You can always offer both a full and a lite demo.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Or one stripped version. Hell, I downloaded the demo of Al Emmo which was over 400 MB. Getting used to such.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 AM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Dial-in is soooo yesterday!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
I turn novels into games

This is good news. My village only got broadband last Christmas, so I'm still thinking in terms of dial up. Good news indeed. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #7

A large file demo is fine, but if possible make a trailer of the game that's around 5-15megs. This way someone can at least see the game played a bit before proceeding with a giant download.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I say let a demo be as big as it needs to be.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #9

I think it depends on your distribution method. If you are primarily selling your game through a digital download, the full game will be too large for anyone on dial-up to purchase. It wouldn't make sense in that situation to make a small demo for the sake of dial-up users as they wouldn't be able to buy the full game anyway. If you are selling boxed copies of the game, it would make sense to have a smaller demo or a small trailer, or possibly both a small and large demo.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I don't think developers should limit what they put into their games just because some people are still stuck in the dial-up age.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Staff Member

Disable irrelevant parts and lose art/audio assets. Even on broadband, you'll still put off potential customers if you force them to download a bunch of irrelevant stuff.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I think that the demo should be needlessly bigger than the actual game.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Because this is in the Underground, I'll say that a AGU game demo should be 50-200MB, but otherwise modern demos tend to be about 400-600MB, so that is acceptable.

But stuff like the new Source engine Might&Magic game demo is over 1GB, and that's just insane.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
Psycho Game Maker

Emmo_Demo_Setup.exe
234 MB (246,289,273 bytes)
Mikes Room
Old 09-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
Disable irrelevant parts and lose art/audio assets. Even on broadband, you'll still put off potential customers if you force them to download a bunch of irrelevant stuff.
Agreed. It seems stupid to include assets that don't actually feature in the demo (unless the full game is simply going to be an unlocked version of the demo).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #16

Secret Files: Tunguska demo is 574mb im downloading it rite now

damn i looked it in here that release date is 4 sept. now i look that it will be released in 28 sept. well broken sword 4 is coming out but it is bs ... broken sword 1-2 was good 3-4 is bs i cant say that they are no more adventure games they look like shooting games or strategy games like age of ampire and so on to view carater in 3d and he moves with keyboard what realy sucks ... well u can move him useng mouse to but thats not better wey to controll in that game
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 AM   #17
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle
Emmo_Demo_Setup.exe
234 MB (246,289,273 bytes)
I don't consider Al Emmo to be exactly Undeground, it's just so well done, production values are really high imo.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #18
Creepy Father Figure

Don't worry to much about the size Tolworthy. All most folks need is a download manager so they can break it up into pieces or they can start it and go to bed and the manager will turn the PC off when it's done.

Here's a free one that works real well with IE and Firefox http://freedownloadmanager.org/
Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
I turn novels into games

There seems to be agreement here that "big is OK." That's good to hear. For the demo I will probably have the first quarter of the main story, plus a slide-show to illustrate a few hundred other scenes. Should come in at about 250 MB or so.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:35 AM   #20

The real question is not how big, but what to include. A demo should have enough in it to get your potential customer hooked and happy, but not so much that they're content just to play the demo as a game in itself.

If the game is divided into levels, the first level is a good chunk to give away as a demo. They can get to the end of the level and feel rewarded, but want to play more.

If it's not divided into levels, then maybe you can think of an equivalent chunk of game. Perhaps from the beginning up to solving the first major puzzle? You want to leave them feeling that they've done something and been rewarded, not just cut off arbitrarily.

Two non-level-based demos I enjoyed so much that I eventually went out and bought the full games were:
Roller Coaster Tycoon -- You can do all the actions without restriction, but only for 15 minutes before the demo shuts down automatically. This is enough time to learn your way around and get a decent little theme park set up, but not quite enough to feel that you've done all you wanted.
Emergency Room -- The full game has more than 100 patients to treat. The demo has 10 or 12, but in a wide variety of cases from simple to complicated. You can play the demo as long as you like, with no restrictions on time or gameplay, but eventually you'll want to expand to the full game just to handle more cases.

By the way, if you leave out some bells and whistles, such as background music, make sure you explain very clearly that it's included in the full game. If the demo is too cut-down, it will just look like the game is cheap and nasty.